Quantcast

Justin Leov and Miranda Miller Win Garbanzo Downhill

admin

Chimp
Jun 28, 2001
NULL

Leov and Canadian new comer Miranda Miller suffer for dollars on the fabled Monster Energy Garbanzo Downhill here at Crankworx.

---

Words and photos by Fraser Britton

When pro rider’s facebook status’ change to “Time to Suffer”, you know it’s a big course. They don’t get much bigger than the legendary Garbanzo downhill here in Whistler. Over 14 minutes long, the course here beats riders into submission, and as one rider put it afterwards “once you get through the upper section, you’re just along for the ride.” When the world’s best get turned into mere passengers on their bikes, it’s going to be a long day for the amateurs!

Local girl Miranda Miller proved that her win at the US Open was no fluke, as she scores another convincing win here in the Garbo zone. She beat out the current World Cup #2, Emmeline Ragot of France and long time world cup racer Fionn Griffiths of Great Britain, as well as a collection of local rippers.

“I just tried to make sure I peddled hard out of every berm," says Miller, first place winner of the Pro Women category. “It was a little rough and studded but still, a really good course.”

For the men it was Trek Racing’s Justin Leov who brought his fitness to the table and reminded people that he is a contender this year with a win over Australia’s Chris Kovarik and Sam Hill.

“I held it pretty solid and then during the last minute I really smashed it,” says Leov, first place winner of Pro Men. “Near the end I was just holding on and it worked out.”

Hill went down in the second corner and was fighting to make the time up for 14 minutes. Kovarik was Steady the entire way, riding the only way he knows how; flat out.

This year’s track is the roughest racers here have ever seen. No rain for weeks has made the entire mountain loose and dusty, and has filled it with massive breaking bumps and holes. The upper sections of Original Sin is not comprised of roots, rocks and huge bombholes, making sure riders don’t have a chance to rest their hands or backs.