Quantcast

Justin Leov Retires?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
ritchy rude? elliot jackson? donno who else is riding for yeti right now, but probably somebody from that group.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Or Loic Bruni in that case, although I see the French kid sticking with the French brand... don't think Nico is gonna let him of the team

Alas, sucks the Jazza is retiring, such a great rider! He seems like and all round great guy and a true profesional

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Sad news. Wish he'd keep going! The old dogs are dropping off! With Fabien gone and now Justin retiring, the sport is loosing its "historic" riders who shredded lines on bikes Deemed unsafe for DH by todays standards at insane speed and amazing precision! Back when a single crown 4inch bike with pad brakes was a common sight in the WC circuit!
Justin hasn't been WC'ing for quite that long.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Sad news. Wish he'd keep going! The old dogs are dropping off! With Fabien gone and now Justin retiring, the sport is loosing its "historic" riders who shredded lines on bikes Deemed unsafe for DH by todays standards at insane speed and amazing precision! Back when a single crown 4inch bike with pad brakes was a common sight in the WC circuit!
Isn't he only 27 years old? I'm a decade and a half older than that, didn't think DH bikes were unsafe at all 10 years ago, I thought they were some of the solidest bikes on the planet for DH. Way overbuilt and a good 10 lbs more than today's DH rigs but unsafe? Now 15-20 years ago we were ripping headtubes off frames by putting DC forks on frames that simply couldn't handle them. I think Peaty's the only guy left on the WC you can say raced those "death" rigs!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Isn't he only 27 years old? I'm a decade and a half older than that, didn't think DH bikes were unsafe at all 10 years ago, I thought they were some of the solidest bikes on the planet for DH. Way overbuilt and a good 10 lbs more than today's DH rigs but unsafe? Now 15-20 years ago we were ripping headtubes off frames by putting DC forks on frames that simply couldn't handle them. I think Peaty's the only guy left on the WC you can say raced those "death" rigs!
I think the 4 inch bike was an overstatement but I wouldnt call DH bikes from 10 years ago reliable. My 50 pound best had massive shock overheating problems, the frame unscrewed itself on any ocasion and it was nothing compared to some cracking issues some frames had (GT, Orange, etc.). People only remember the problem free bikes from that time and forget how many utterly crap products where on the market then.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I think the 4 inch bike was an overstatement but I wouldnt call DH bikes from 10 years ago reliable. My 50 pound best had massive shock overheating problems, the frame unscrewed itself on any ocasion and it was nothing compared to some cracking issues some frames had (GT, Orange, etc.). People only remember the problem free bikes from that time and forget how many utterly crap products where on the market then.
I guess, I only ran Turners back then as my team was sponsored by them and the DHR from 1999-2002 was one of the most reliable DH bikes I ever owned. Heavy but solid. One batch had a HT issue that required running an oversized CK headset but other than that they were built to take much abuse. I still ride my 2001 Turn RFX (on it's 7th fork) and it's just as good today as the day I got it and for the past 4 years it's been my only DH rig too. I also ran (still run on the RFX) Avy shocks so never had a problem with overheating either. Fox RC that came on the RFX only lasted one month before I blew it up:)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm surprised that TWR hasn't brought ona lady so they can challenge GT for the team title. They could pick up almost anyone and get enough points to make the difference. I'll bet Micayla Gatto would be an easy pick. Even Pompon seems like she is just one step above privateer.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
You sure know your MTB history!

Who needs real experts like Stik on these boards when you drop knowledge bombs like this?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ritchy Rude sounds like a good bet. Neko is on Elite next year, wouldn't be surprised to see Rude on there
Pretty sure neko is already elite. He's not marked as a jr on any of the UCI qualifying lists I've seen this season.

Don't wanna speculate on who it might be, but Ritchie has been very happy with yeti. Besides, this is just his second year with yeti, and first year racing world cups.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Is going to be interesting.....I always viewed Leov as Gwin's wingman. They seem to get along really well.

Maybe MW23 goes for someone like Ragot.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Downhillbiker23;3803885]Sad news. Wish he'd keep going! The old dogs are dropping off! With Fabien gone and now Justin retiring, the sport is loosing its "historic" riders who shredded lines on bikes Deemed unsafe for DH by todays standards at insane speed and amazing precision! Back when a single crown 4inch bike with pad brakes was a common sight in the WC circuit!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Sad news for sure, but, he isn't getting podium results at WC level anymore. I'm sure he could do really well at the Enduro events that are popping up everywhere.

However, it seems that his main reason to leave is family orientated so maybe we'll see him running training camps/joining the NZ cycling board in some facility much like Rando has done with the Aussie set up.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
He strikes me as a guy who has always wanted the #1 spot on the podium and has not been happy with top 5 consistency, and I can really appreciate that.
I'm glad to see he'll be leaving the sport without having to first come out of the therapist's office.

As for TWR, I don't think you'll see Rude on tap. I would think it would make sense for Martin to have a rider from another part of the world to allow them to attend events on different continents throughout the calender year. An all US rider squad has never been Martin's calling card.

Brook MacDonald would make more sense to me, but has Whitley ever pursued and signed a flat pedal rider?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I think MS is very happy with both Brook and SPAG. I don't see them leaving. Or Emmeline either.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Don't wanna speculate on who it might be, but Ritchie has been very happy with yeti. Besides, this is just his second year with yeti, and first year racing world cups.
that might be, but up and comers always seem to start with Yeti and move on soon after. hopefully Yeti was smart enough to sign him for more then two years