Quantcast

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I've been dinking around with my old Hayes 9s, trying to get them to work on my GFs hardtail. She's already got cable discs...

I'd swapped the discs and tried the whole Hayes setup, that didn't work, the left to right offset was wrong. Then I noticed that the thickness of the adapter for the rear would work for the front. I then learned that rear adapters don't work as fronts...

Turns out I should have just left the rotors alone, unbolted the calipers from the adapters already installed on the bike and just bolted on the Hayes calipers and Bob would have been my uncle last week.

What a dope. But they work now! I'm the man.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I learn **** the hard way almost every time. Don't feel bad. Now, at least, you know.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Suggestion:

Remove caliper, line and cylinder as a unit and bleed it while it's off the bike. Saves a whole lot of finagling trying to get the whole bike into position to bleed and it's easier to clean up if you happen to spill some fluid.
I'll remember that...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Turns out I should have just left the rotors alone, unbolted the calipers from the adapters already installed on the bike and just bolted on the Hayes calipers and Bob would have been my uncle last week.
My uncle's name is Robert.

Bob is always my uncle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
One thing I've done before in addition to this was use an old handlebar, mount the lever on it, then secure the handlebar in a high place, so that the brake line runs almost vertically.
:stupid:

I usually clamp an old bar in a bench vice with some v blocks, mount the lever on that, and have at it.

For the record, you can interchange front and rear adapters, sort of. A front adapter is 10mm shorter than a rear one. So, for example, a 160mm rear adapter is exactly the same as a 180mm front one.