Quantcast

Kaches Ridge

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I'm going to be venturing out to this trail for the first time this weekend. A few questions:

Is it shuttleable?

If so, would I be better off with my XC bike (SC Heckler) or DH bike (Rotec RL9)?

Would you wear full-faced helmet or body armor for this trail?

Dirtworld makes it sound like a crazy DH trail all the way, but I have my doubts about that. Any input would be much appreciated!!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yes, it is shuttleable:) Even if you shuttle it there are a few hike a bike sections after you ride the trail for about a mile (?)

Heckler for sure:dead:

I rode it in a full face cause we had just gotton kicked out of The Pass and that's the only helmet I had, but I think next time I'd where a XC helmet.

Have fun!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah it's not really that hard core at all. The lower section i think is the most tricky with a little steep, rocky bench cut singletrack with some switchbacks with consequence.

Go fast in the beginning, take it easy and save some strength in the middle, then just be a little careful on the end.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
haven't been up there yet myself this year but a friend was recently and says there are about 10 trees down half way in (?) on the trail. still worth doing though says he. as for shuttling there is agate half way up the road which may be shut but is often open. personally i like to drive to about that point and then start climbing thus getting in a good warm-up and paying something back to mt. otherwise the climb to trail ratio is pretty uneven. this is a nw classic though, a really beautiful area, fun high alpine ride and some fast downhill near the end to round things out. and finally do be aware that hikers and horsey people also use it as well.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
From the Dirtworld link - "Serious riders should be able to reach the top with out leaving the middle chain ring."

Also, let us know if you're serious. :)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
It's easy to leave it in the middle when it's in the back of the truck....

Those who know me know I have mixed feelings about this ride. I can't imagine bothering to shuttle it because you'd spend more time driving to and from and back, etc than actually riding. Unless you're into sitting around for most of the day while someone else goes and gets the truck. Yes, the trail is pretty nice. But, beat to hell from over use. It's the closest "semi-alpine" ride for east siders so it gets a lot of use because of that too. But, IHMO, it's low on the "must do" list. Due to the road percentage of the loop and the anti-climactic super dusty power line jeep road thing at the end. Yep, a ride report from a month ago called out lots of logs still across the trail. Definately an XC trail and moderately technical in places. But, seems like more pedaling than coasting. At least until the end.
But, I'd love to see some "true DH" type slogging their 50+ bike up the saddle. :)

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Like Snacks mentioned before, we did it as a shuttle. Even let an XC type grab hold of the bed and get pulled for a mile or so, at least until he couldn't hang on anymore? One guy didn't look too happy to see ~13 guys with DH bikes shuttling but his buddy wasn't too pround to grab a tow!

It was a LONG shuttle. It think we even had to stop for a pee break on the drive up??? It would work better as a shuttle if you could find someone willing to drive you up and then drive the truck back down, say a local for beer $ ? I wouldn't do it again unless we could work something like that out.

Yes we pushed the big bikes up the saddle. That wasn't fun. Wonder if its even rideable on an XC/trail bike? The trail as a whole was fun. The last mile or so was sweet!

It seemed like the trail was longer than where we started from but I think they said it was more XC if we would have started further out. If we did it again (on trail bikes) I wouldn't mind going to the beginning and riding it complete.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
K, farther up the trail than from where you guys probably dropped in off the end of the logging road isn't really worth it. Even on the xc bike.
Nobody I know has ever made it all the way up that push to the saddle. Though, several have tried. :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Borneo said:
K, farther up the trail than from where you guys probably dropped in off the end of the logging road isn't really worth it. Even on the xc bike.
Nobody I know has ever made it all the way up that push to the saddle. Though, several have tried. :)
A challenge? :blah:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Sure! Get yer bad self up here!

Although this is definately not one of the rides I'd recommend for your limited time up here. Looks like a big BBTC St. Helens trip coming up. May want to hook up with Erik and crew.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think it's a fine trail.
The road climb up can be done in a middle ring if you're trying to prove you're a goat to somebody that cares.

Get out and enjoy the local forest service trails, we're lucky to have alot of awesome riding in the Cascades. Kachesse is just a taste of many many awesome descending trails.

Speaking of goats i've seen mountain goats up on the peak near the saddle. i'm not sure how good the view is up top because when i went it was cloudy. But i think it's a great mountain ride, get out in the sticks and have a good time.:thumb:

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Awesome guys! Thanks for the info! I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I don't have a problem riding to the top, but sometimes skipping the uphill can make the DH more fun b/c you're rested and ready to fly!