Quantcast

Kali Protectives Avatar Fullface review.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was going to put this review on Australian site but it won't let me so here we go.

I had a small slow speed crash that saw my THE carbon helmet take enough of a hit to make me wonder if it could take another. I ended up coming across the Kali protectives site and I read the doss on the Avatar helmet and it all made sense and was in words I could understand.

I ended up ordering an Avatar direct from Kali in the US(SCV will be importing them in OZ soon) and had my helmet within a week.

When I opened the box I saw a plainish black helmet bag, I then picked it up and said to myself get effed, it is a seriously light helmet. Inside the bag is of course a helmet but also a second set of pads which are for the jaw area and are slightly thicker than the standard ones fit in the helmet at the factory.

I can only compare this helmet to my 08 The Legion carbon helmet, the Legion seems to have more vents however they seem to be more cosmetic than functional. The fit is similar to the THE but I am now beginning to think my XL Avatar is slightly roomier than the THE helmet which is not a problem as I can fit the larger pads if I feel the need.

Venting on the Avatar seems to be quite limited but it seems very effective when moving, the chin vents are crazy and almost feel like you are having air forced into your mouth when going at a decent pace.

I think the main reason the Avatar doesn't seem to cook your head is that there is a recessed area around your ears and as they are no longer pressed against your head you feel strangely cool, oh and you can hear very clearly too which is nice. Having the recess also makes it easier to ride whilst listening to your favourite tunes if you can't go without your Zune or whatever.

So far there are two small problems I have found with the helmet-
-The padding around the jaw is supposed to attach to a small velcro strip on the shell but the matching Velcro on the padding doesn't quite line up.
-The clasp for the excess chin strap is too high and is extremely difficult to clip on as your fingers are pressing on the bottom of the helmet.
Other than those two small niggles the helmet is pretty much perfect and perfection(almost) at a reasonable price is a very rare thing so my next few helmets will be Kalis.

You also get Kalis crazy little mask thing everywhere, they seem to be big on the small detail-

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
I have the exact same lid so here's my input:

the sizing is a little larger than what I'm used to but happily the shop got my order wrong and sent a small in place of a medium, it fits perfectly! the cheek pads do compress pretty quick so what might be snug at first will ease off a bit.

strap stud height: never use it so a non-issue for me.

the ear recess is nice but coming from a remedy which had mesh covered vents on the ears was a down-turn for hearing trail noise and holding conversation.

the quality of the paint is excellent.

here's the big one for me: at the end of the day I have first hand experience of how good the protection the lid offers is. this summer I had one of the worst crashes of my riding career, proper high-speed rag doll style on one of ben walkers' trails at morgins. the lid took a large impact but didn't split or transfer the force to my head. the damage to the outer shell (and my body!) was substantial. I ordered another avatar as soon as I got home.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I also have the same lid and love it. The customer service is top notch. The fit is good and so is the paint job. Thats just my 2 cents.
VM