Quantcast

Kanan ride - update to Coral Canyon

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
we did the Kanan ride again (Malibu, CA). this time, starting in the parking lot off the Kanan parking turnout, near the bridge.

weather - overcast and cool. the weather was perfect for this long ride. if it would have been hot and dry (or humid) it would have taken a much bigger toll. the sky cleared and it got warm later in the ride.

trail - awesome ride. there are some rough climbs on that trail. none of our crew was rolling a rig for making those climbs, so there was a fair amount of walking. the downhills are definitely worth it. the trail does not have an uphill/downhill side. you climb and drop many times. it is a giant rollercoaster. there are some corners with burms and some mini-wallrides. the rock garden section under the tree canopy was awesome. there was still some water in the water crossings.

hikers - there were a ton of them. we got the stink eye a few times. we are not total vandals pinning it out of control. however, we may have done a bit more than the 15 mph trail limit in a few spots. we even got told to "slow the fvck down" by a grey-hair-granny. there were some other riders out. most were cool. one was a bit mouthy about the fact that i did not pull over instantly to give her the right of way (she was on the way up while i was heading down). i was just looking for a good place to trackstand and her line was wobbly. no big.

3.5 hours later and we had done the out-and-back. we rode from kanan to the last ridge before Coral Canyon. we would have been done sooner, but we had a flat and a bonk... and a bad case of being out of shape.

product review - i got some new oakley shorts for this ride. they are super nice. no pad. they are like boardshorts, but a bit more durable. i'll try to get a model name and post pics. not bad for $60. much nicer than my other oakleys with a pad and spandex liner under the loose outters. those are nice, but hot in the summer.