Quantcast

Karma's a bitch

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Grandparents of sick child arrested for stealing donations

DYERSBURG, Tenn. -- The grandparents of a 12-year-old boy waiting for a lung transplant are charged with emptying the charity account set up to pay for his medical expenses.

Charles Norman Vaughn Sr., 61, and Phyllis Vaughn, 55, were each charged Tuesday with felony theft of more than $10,000 after the boy's mother said an account for collecting community donations was found empty.
The couple opened the account in July 2001 for their grandson, Odell Terry, now 12, who was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and lung disease, police Sgt. Billy Williams said.
The donations, totaling about $30,000, were to fund the child's trips to St. Louis and Memphis hospitals for treatment, according to the police report.
An accounting investigation showed "questionable disbursements and inconsistent checks," the report said.
The child's mother, Lana Terry, became suspicious when they returned from St. Louis after an experimental drug improved his condition enough to return to Dyersburg.
"So when we got back home," Terry said, "I asked Dad how much was in the fund. Every time I asked I got a different answer, and each time the amount was smaller than before. I knew we weren't spending any more, because we were back home. I called the bank and found out there was no money."
Terry said she hopes people who previously donated won't be discouraged by the charges from giving to similar causes in the future.
"I know it's too late for us now; our ship has sailed," Terry said. "But please, please, people, there will always be other families and other children who need a transplant or who have cancer or leukemia."
10th circle for these folks...

J

JRB

I saw some folks today that have a pretty rough appointment with karma being scheduled. :think:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
loco said:
I saw some folks today that have a pretty rough appointment with karma being scheduled. :think:
Care to elaborate?

Those grandparents should each have a lung removed. I think that would be a fitting punishment.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Barbaton said:
10th circle for these folks...
Theres only 9 circles, and the g-parents would be in the 7th circle with the thieves. A quick excerpt from Inferno...

"In the horrifying Seventh Pouch, the Thieves sit trapped in a pit of vipers, becoming vipers themselves when bitten; to regain their form, they must bite another thief in turn."

Sounds like a sh!tty eternity.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Sherpa said:
Theres only 9 circles, and the g-parents would be in the 7th circle with the thieves. A quick excerpt from Inferno...

"In the horrifying Seventh Pouch, the Thieves sit trapped in a pit of vipers, becoming vipers themselves when bitten; to regain their form, they must bite another thief in turn."

Sounds like a sh!tty eternity.
Well, I was trying to imply that they deserve their own, special, extra level; perhaps such literary subtlety was too much and I should just settle for level 7. :blah: :p

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Barbaton said:
Well, I was trying to imply that they deserve their own, special, extra level; perhaps such literary subtlety was too much and I should just settle for level 7. :blah: :p
Hahah, i was just playing with you. Maybe we can re-write Inferno with a new Canto for people who steal/launder/extort from cancer patients and fundraising entities. They could have ever kind of cancer imagineable for all of eternity, that would suck.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Sherpa said:
Hahah, i was just playing with you. Maybe we can re-write Inferno with a new Canto for people who steal/launder/extort from cancer patients and fundraising entities. They could have ever kind of cancer imagineable for all of eternity, that would suck.
heh. indeed.