Quantcast

karpiel update at iast!

DISORDER1976

Chimp
Feb 7, 2004
MANCHESTER,UK
UPDATE!
Exciting news for owners and fans of Karpiel bikes! With freshly acquired trademark rights and patents pending on several radical new designs, Karpiel is currently pursuing a viable manufacturing partner to support its current models and produce an innovative new line of bikes. The business offices of Karpiel Design will remain closed to the public while discussions continue, but updates will be posted to this site. Thanks for visiting!

http://www.karpiel.com/

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oooh, oooh, can I put a preorder in?! I need a bike for the 2009 race season...

And can I have the heat treating "option" on mine?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
vitox said:
just a question, should the original post be read as :

"hasta la vista, baby"

or

"hasta la vista, maybe"

?
i think this reads as followed.

Jan is broke and is looking for an investor to get the company back to where they actually will be able to produce frames.
we can only hope that jan won't be responsible for the business side in the future.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
UiUiUiUi said:
Jan is broke and is looking for an investor to get the company back to where they actually will be able to propduce frames.
we can only hope that jan won't be responsible for the business side in the future
I'm sorry, but anyone who buys a bike from Karpiel after knowing the latest fiasco that went on, is just plain stupid. No ifs, ands, or buts. They're stupid. Maybe in a couple years if the company has proved itself to be reliable, but if everyone is smart and avoids these frames, the company will never get to that point.

Some companies deserve to go out of business, and this is one of them.

I just hope that the people who already have frames get taken care of, and that the ignorant masses who might not have heard these stories about un-heat treated frames and cut fingers and such are enlightened and know not to deal with such a bastard.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Brian HCM#1 said:
He screwed you on a frame? When?
So when a track record is good we can draw the conclusion that our experience will be good too, but when the track record is piss-poor we're somehow supposed to be optimistic still? Whatever man.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
joel hester said:
Then please don't make comments that you have no buisness making. Karpiel has ALWAYS takin care of me in a timely fashion. I'm not saying the last stunt he pulled was right with sending out nonheat treated frames, but before this whole out of business thing started he NEVER EVER stole $ from a person and not delivered a frame.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Brian HCM#1 said:
but before this whole out of business thing started he NEVER EVER stole $ from a person.
Brian...Brian...Brian...

why do you think Ventana stopped doing his welding?
Why do you think Jan couldn't by tubing anymore?
why do you think so many people are upset at Jan?
...add to the list...

its one think to like his frames...its another to defend him..

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Bulldog said:
So when a track record is good we can draw the conclusion that our experience will be good too, but when the track record is piss-poor we're somehow supposed to be optimistic still? Whatever man.
Then if someone who has never dealt with Jan shouldn't make those comments. Before the shut down what did Jan do wrong, besides take a little longer to deliver a frame or make a repair?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
Brian...Brian...Brian...

why do you think Ventana stopped doing his welding?
Why do you think Jan couldn't by tubing anymore?
why do you think so many people are upset at Jan?
...add to the list...

its one think to like his frames...its another to defend him..
So he lacked a lot of business skills. I'm aware he didn't pay or took a very long time to pay his subcontractors. My point is unless you've had a bad experiance with a person they shouldn't talk negative like they have. Thats all.

Lennox

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Brian HCM#1 said:
Before the shut down what did Jan do wrong, besides take a little longer to deliver a frame or make a repair?

wait wait wait... those are the two main services to the customer .. isnt it?

Jan done gone and ****ed da dog :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
By supporting him you're supporting a crook...
Yep, and it reflects negatively on you, Brian.

Some people are worth defending. This one isn't. He's a liar and a crook, and absolutely not worth tarnishing your own image over.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Then please don't make comments that you have no buisness making. Karpiel has ALWAYS takin care of me in a timely fashion.
Why dont i have business putting in my .02? Getting screwed in life is getting screwed. Bicycles or a motor boat - does not matter - it sucks and i have empathy for those folks who are going without a bike or repair they paid for .

So using your logic, if i have never been screwed and you have never been screwed, then neither of us should be commenting.

Anyway. Probably everyone in their life has been in one sitiation or another where that were totally at the mercy of someone who was not doing the right thing. I had another hobbie and more than one situation turned bad where "they" had my money, alot of money, and there was nothing i could do. Weeks turned to months and months turned into damn near a year, enduring promise after promise bringing me, a grown man, to tears of frustration and homicidal thoughts.

So if someone is web savy and wants a little leverage and a way to give back to Karpiel what they've been given, that is the reason for my .02

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I knew the latest thread about Yawn Karpiel would be entertaining! It didn't dissapoint.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
joel hester said:
Why dont i have business putting in my .02? Getting screwed in life is getting screwed. Bicycles or a motor boat - does not matter - it sucks and i have empathy for those folks who are going without a bike or repair they paid for .

So using your logic, if i have never been screwed and you have never been screwed, then neither of us should be commenting.

Anyway. Probably everyone in their life has been in one sitiation or another where that were totally at the mercy of someone who was not doing the right thing. I had another hobbie and more than one situation turned bad where "they" had my money, alot of money, and there was nothing i could do. Weeks turned to months and months turned into damn near a year, enduring promise after promise bringing me, a grown man, to tears of frustration and homicidal thoughts.

So if someone is web savy and wants a little leverage and a way to give back to Karpiel what they've been given, that is the reason for my .02
Then what you should state was.......From what I've HEARD in the past from OTHER people, its might not be the best idea to go with one of his frames. But on the flip side, I've ALWAYS had good service from Karpiel in getting frames and or parts from him.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Brian - lets reverse the situation shall we?

You have a business right (Montain Bike Mania)? Lets say a few people buy expensive ticket items from you but never paid!! You try to chase them down and for months and months and months you don’t get a penny from them – how would that make you feel?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
binary visions said:
Yep, and it reflects negatively on you, Brian.

Some people are worth defending. This one isn't. He's a liar and a crook, and absolutely not worth tarnishing your own image over.
Everyone intiltled to their own opinion whether it be right or wrong. Like I said above Jan never screwed me over personally, he's always made good on orders and replacement parts for me. So its hard for me to say anything negitive since he hasn't F'ed me over.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
Brian - lets reverse the situation shall we?

You have a business right (Montain Bike Mania)? Lets say a few people buy expensive ticket items from you but never paid!! You try to chase them down and for months and months and months you don’t get a penny from them – how would that make you feel?
I understand what you're saying Luc, and I agree there. I know he's not paid several vendors and I know thats not the way to conduct business and I would never conduct that type of business myself.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
UiUiUiUi said:
didn't you threaten to sue him because he wasn't delivering on time or was that violent volante?
Maybe Low B?

I know that Yawn owed Brian (low b) a frame for contract work, but it took him like a year to deliver....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
UiUiUiUi said:
didn't you threaten to sue him because he wasn't delivering on time or was that violent volante?
That was VV. Jan was 2 in a half weeks late on his promised delivery date. I've seen Foes, Intense and SC take even longer, so its just the nature of the beast. Reguardless of his past history, you as a business owner are at the mercy of your subcontractors. So if they are slammed most likely you're going to wait your turn to get something done, like heat treat, powder coating or machining. Unless everything is done in house and you don't run out of material.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
Everyone intiltled to their own opinion whether it be right or wrong. Like I said above Jan never screwed me over personally, he's always made good on orders and replacement parts for me. So its hard for me to say anything negitive since he hasn't F'ed me over.
Nobody's asking you to say anythin negative. But you always jump into these discussions telling people not to say anything negative because you've always been treated well blah blah blah.

If you want to contribute to these types of threads, a simple comment about "Well, I'm not sure about all this, I've always had: <insert good description of service>", and leaving it at that would both keep you from looking like you're defending a criminal, and make you appear more credable (and please don't think I'm saying you're not credable, but you're not making useful arguments when you tell people not to speak negatively, you're only making yourself look overly defensive).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
binary visions said:
Nobody's asking you to say anythin negative. But you always jump into these discussions telling people not to say anything negative because you've always been treated well blah blah blah.

If you want to contribute to these types of threads, a simple comment about "Well, I'm not sure about all this, I've always had: <insert good description of service>", and leaving it at that would both keep you from looking like you're defending a criminal, and make you appear more credable (and please don't think I'm saying you're not credable, but you're not making useful arguments when you tell people not to speak negatively, you're only making yourself look overly defensive).
I just think its wrong for someone to say, don't deal with him he's a crook, when they have never dealt with him personally. People are going by what they've heard instead of what has actually happend to them. Thats the point I'm trying to make.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
I agree with Brain. Not because I give a flyin-fuk about Karpiel, but because *I* don't have any experience with them and thus cannot judge them.

Almost all the 'horror' stories we hear about Karpiel stem from what looks like only a few unsatisfied customers. And from that, everyone spreads the negative experiences around vicariously.

Brian had a good experience with Karpiel, and his experience should be just as valid as the bad experiences we hear about on the board. It's too bad that people like to remember the bad experiences than to share the good ones.

-B

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Brian HCM#1 said:
That was VV. Jan was 2 in a half weeks late on his promised delivery date. I've seen Foes, Intense and SC take even longer, so its just the nature of the beast. Reguardless of his past history, you as a business owner are at the mercy of your subcontractors. So if they are slammed most likely you're going to wait your turn to get something done, like heat treat, powder coating or machining. Unless everything is done in house and you don't run out of material.
Two weeks? I can see why he'd be upset... he usually doesn't keep his bikes for 2 weeks. He probably already had a buyer lined up for that date. :p

6" curbs will do a number on the longevity of a frame.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Brian HCM#1 said:
I just think its wrong for someone to say, don't deal with him he's a crook, when they have never dealt with him personally. People are going by what they've heard instead of what has actually happend to them. Thats the point I'm trying to make.

ok let me rephrase.

dont stick your hand on the stove, it is very, very hot! I just saw someone burn themselves.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Brian HCM#1 said:
People are going by what they've heard instead of what has actually happend to them.QUOTE]

Isn't this called "reputation"?

There is always an exception, perhaps you are the lucky one? Who knows?