Quantcast

kart racing

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
another super expensive, super addictive sport.
I just blew 100 bucks at Andretti's SpeedLab last night.
I don't think these are even real competition karts but it was fun as hell racing my friends.
Anybody else into Kart racing?
Anyone race competively?

I think these things go about 35-40. Tons of fun.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I know a guy in Indy who's son races, he is 5 and he drives 80cc shifters. they go close to 80-100mph. They are already trying to get him primed for f-3 racing when he is big enough. This kid is the next American F-1 champ, or should I say first.

F1 is trying to get these kids young and keep them away from NASCAR.

I have a Neice that races dirt karts and she wins at the local level it's pretty fun.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I used to race karts about 7 years ago or so. Damn fun! The karts you get at the fun zones and such are lower level comp karts. Still dang fast. I would love to get back into it when I can afford it.

The shifter karts are the best. The same kart chassis (basically) but with a 125 or 250 motocross engine with the gearbox. You can do well over 100 mph on one of those things. Fun fun fun!

Personally I used to race a 100cc 2 stroke yamaha kart motor with a centrifugal clutch that didn't even engage till 10,000 rpm. :eek:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Cool. Do u guys have any links to check out? I'd like to see what it would cost to get started and if there is any amateur racing locally for old guys like me.

Dirt Kart racing sounds pretty cool. I was actually thinking how fun it would be to put some suspension / knobbies on one of those and hit some jumps in it. Then again it wouldn't be far off from ATV racing.

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
DVNT, check out www.worldkarting.com or your local road race facility(road atlanta I would assume). They could probably point you in the right direction to get started. I think for a basic non-shifter type kart would run about 5k for all the gear, about what it takes to get a DH bike.
Good luck.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
http://www.ekartingnews.com/index.php Has a lot of links to various areas. Check out their New To Karting section... http://www.ekartingnews.com/NewToKarting/

The best way to get started would likely be with a used kart. It does cost a lot to get started but it's a lot of fun. Find and visit your local tracks, and shops. Talk to the racers and track owners. They will be able to tell you what is popular in your area (sprints, ovals, dirt tracks, enduros, etc) and can likely give you some leads on good used karts. Some tracks have "arrive and drive" programs so you can check it out before you drop 5000+ on a kart, safety equipment, spares, etc.

It is also a great technical challenge setting up the karts. No suspension is tougher than it sounds. :) You'll get to play with things like weight distribution, camber, castor, tire pressures, etc.

Ok... now I really want another kart! Crap, like I don't already have too many expensive hobbies!

And remember the old saying... Speed costs money... how fast do you want to go?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
valve bouncer said:
Didn't Mario Andretti win the world championship once? 1978 rings a bell.

I don't really know. We were in Indy for the USGP and the guy we were with has 5 old scool F1 cars and is big into vintage F1 racing. It's his buddies kid and the F1 people were all over them. F1 wants to get a American in so they can try and break into the US market. There are really no big US F1 drivers in the pipe and they are working the asphalt Kart circuit in the US to try and get young talent before NASCAR can get them. They were offering meets with Schuie and Montoya basically whatever the kid wanted. AND HE's 5.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hawkeye said:
<snip>This kid is the next American F-1 champ, or should I say first.
<snip>.
The culmination of his (Mario Andretti) international career came in 1978, when he won the World Championship driving for Lotus, making him the first driver in motor racing history to win the Formula One and Champ Car titles. Mario dominated the scene with nine poles and six wins in the revolutionary "ground effects" Lotus, which he had worked so hard to develop, and joined Phil Hill (1961) as the only American ever to capture the world title. He was again honored by being selected Driver of the Year, in recognition of his accomplishments.
Although he is a natural-born Italian, so I'm not quite sure it counts. :think: :D

-S.S.-

I was totally into this about a year ago. It's so much fun. I was going to this place: http://www.speedring-kartracing.com/launch/index2.html. If you're good, you can get the regular karts up to about 40mph on the straight. I actually got to drive one of the 10hp karts (vs. the regular 6.5hp karts) one of the last times I went over there. Now that was fun!!! I wanted to get involved in the league races, but they couldn't seem to get it together when I was interested. Oh well, rather be on the bike breathing clean mountain air instead of all that exhaust.....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I've raced shifter karts, "KT100" karts, Briggs karts, and oven outlaw karts on dirt ovals with a CR500 engine. In my opinion the most fun was a shifter kart on a big track like Sears Point or Thunderhill when you are in the draft at over 100MPH. The sprint tracks get pretty rough (as do the dirt ovals) for my taste.

As other have said, www.ekartingnews.com is the best site going. The forums are very informative.......

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Dude, the kid is 5 and drives an 80 shifter????? Let me know what sanction he is racing in because that is just freakin' dumb. A 5 year old shouldn't be in anything faster than a 50cc Comer.........

Hawkeye said:
I know a guy in Indy who's son races, he is 5 and he drives 80cc shifters. they go close to 80-100mph. They are already trying to get him primed for f-3 racing when he is big enough. This kid is the next American F-1 champ, or should I say first.

F1 is trying to get these kids young and keep them away from NASCAR.

I have a Neice that races dirt karts and she wins at the local level it's pretty fun.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
jeb4 said:
Dude, the kid is 5 and drives an 80 shifter????? Let me know what sanction he is racing in because that is just freakin' dumb. A 5 year old shouldn't be in anything faster than a 50cc Comer.........
I don't know anything about sanctioning and stuff. All I know is he was racing 50's and beating all the other kids by a lot. So they made him move up to keep everyone happy. He does OK in the 80's now like some 3rd and 2nd. I am telling you the kid amazing.