Quantcast

Keating Five: McCain's Corruption

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Does nobody else remember the savings and loans scandal of the 80's that led to the 1987 market crash? Because McCain was one of five senators that made a LOT of money from donations, (essentially bribed) and then pushed for the de-regulation of banks.
He's dirty, he got caught, and he's conveniently hidden that fact which nobody is willing to call him on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Keating Five

The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators, Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), and Donald W. Riegle (D-MI), were accused of improperly aiding Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the failed Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of an investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB).

The result of the collapse of Lincoln Savings and Loan was that 21,000 mostly elderly investors lost their life savings. After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committee determined in 1991 that Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, and Donald Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB in its investigation of Lincoln Savings. Senators John Glenn and John McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment". McCain was further criticized for accepting personal gifts and holidays from Keating, accepting free use of Keating's private jet, as well as accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars of campaign finance from Keating.

All five of the senators involved served out their terms. Only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election, and they were both re-elected.

Continued at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
It is kinda pointless to try to nail him on that, because since then he has made himself look like a crusader against corruption. He acknowledges it as one of the worst mistakes, and bringing it up is a bit like bringing up that Obama's middle name is Hussein

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You only see that because the media is totally anti McCain...Commie bastards! They probably dont even know McCain was a POW!

The rich get richer...and the poor get ****ed, and never kissed, either.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
a bit like bringing up that Obama's middle name is Hussein
Except Obama was given that name (a very common one in Muslim countries like Kenya) which unfortunately is the same name as a dictator the Bush admin. tied to Al Qaeda. McCain made a conscious decision to be bribed. Yes, he apologized.
This is completely fair game given that Palin has brought up the fact that Obama once met somebody who was part of an organization which excecuted bombings when Obama was 8. She said he "pals around with terrorists"

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It wouldn't be fair if he actually had learned his lesson, as he claims to have.

His voting record proves that he didn't learn his lesson. He's one step ahead of Bush in that he can acknowledge a mistake, but he's still missing the last mile of actually correcting it.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Except Obama was given that name (a very common one in Muslim countries like Kenya) which unfortunately is the same name as a dictator the Bush admin. tied to Al Qaeda. McCain made a conscious decision to be bribed. Yes, he apologized.
This is completely fair game given that Palin has brought up the fact that Obama once met somebody who was part of an organization which excecuted bombings when Obama was 8. She said he "pals around with terrorists"
I meant that I don't think that it would be an effective attack angle. McCain has spent a long time shaping his image as a reform crusader since the Keating 5. The comments haven't affected Obama's 7 point lead in nationwide polls, and if that is all the McCain campaign has for the October Surprise, then it is in the bag for Obama.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've known about this for ages. I just realized that nobody has even said anything about it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Last edited:

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
It wouldn't be fair if he actually had learned his lesson, as he claims to have.

His voting record proves that he didn't learn his lesson. He's one step ahead of Bush in that he can acknowledge a mistake, but he's still missing the last mile of actually correcting it.
except his campaign is now claiming that the keating 5 scandal was a political smear job against mccain, ignoring that he admitted to bad judgment etc.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
As per the newz today, The Obama campaign will surely raise the Keating 5 Scandal (hopefully including some Bermuda vacation shots of McCain, paid for by Keating) if The McLame campaign keeps up this "he's palling around with terrorists!!!!" sphiel.

EDIT: Looks like they have already: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/politico/pl_politico/storytext/14302/29377051/SIG=10t2vo5sp/*http://KeatingEconomics.com
the Keating 5 is chump change compared to the damage done by Obama's cohorts in the Fannie Mae debacle... let's get a grip..

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
n8, stop.

Bring some intelligent discourse to the table, or don't come to the table at all. All it does is stir up crap.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No.

Intelligent discourse = not posting ridiculous YouTube links as "responses."

Intelligent discourse = reasoned responses, not off-the-cuff bashing with no rationale whatsoever.

There are a number of people in this forum with whom I agree maybe 10% of the time. Regardless of my personal feelings on the particular subject matter, they back up their claims with sources or simple reasoned logic, though, and I they are free to post as they like.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
the Keating 5 is chump change compared to the damage done by Obama's cohorts in the Fannie Mae debacle... let's get a grip..
Wasn't one of McCain's advisors also bankrolled at 25 K a month by Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac until fairly recently? :biggrin::greedy:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No.

Intelligent discourse = reasoned responses, not off-the-cuff bashing with no rationale whatsoever.

There are a number of people in this forum with whom I agree maybe 10% of the time. Regardless of my personal feelings on the particular subject matter, they back up their claims with sources or simple reasoned logic, though, and I they are free to post as they like.
You do realize that you're asking a pile of elephant crap to smell like a rose?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You do realize that you're asking a pile of elephant crap to smell like a rose?
Yeah, but he's even worse then before. It's like he's worried that while he was gone we forgot what a useless pile of **** he really is. Or like the bitter ex-girlfriend that somehow thinks by being even more of a bitch you'll take her back (and not beat her this time).

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, but he's even worse then before. It's like he's worried that while he was gone we forgot what a useless pile of **** he really is. Or like the bitter ex-girlfriend that somehow thinks by being even more of a bitch you'll take her back (and not beat her this time).
I always thought he was a gonorrhea infected dickhole anyways, so I'm not really noticing a difference...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
no.

Intelligent Discourse = Not Posting Ridiculous Youtube Links As "responses."

Intelligent Discourse = Reasoned Responses, Not Off-the-cuff Bashing With No Rationale Whatsoever.

There Are A Number Of People In This Forum With Whom I Agree maybe 10% Of The Time. Regardless Of My Personal Feelings On The Particular Subject Matter, They Back Up Their Claims With Sources Or Simple Reasoned Logic, Though, And I They Are Free To Post As They Like.
stfu!!!!!!

ftw!!!!!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No.

pwnt.

The Joker;3068620]Does nobody else remember the savings and loans scandal of the 80's that led to the 1987 market crash? Because McCain was one of five senators that made a LOT of money from donations, (essentially bribed) and then pushed for the de-regulation of banks.
He's dirty, he got caught, and he's conveniently hidden that fact which nobody is willing to call him on...
You seemed to have missed this in your cut and paste.
Senators John Glenn and John McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment".

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
No.

:)

you seem to be a smart feller so just do this when you see one of my posts:

when you read or see obama simply substitute in 'mccain' or 'palin' which ever is your preference then my post will look like the rest of the herd's postings; like this, this, this, this, this, or this..

;)

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

when you read or see obama simply substitute in 'mccain' or 'palin' which ever is your preference then my post will look like the rest of the herd's postings; like this, this, this, this, this, or this..

;)
You really are that dumb aren't you?
You just don't get it.

None of those links is a response in place of an actual argument and every single one of those posters regularly engages in genuine conversation. EVERYTHING you post is just stupid neener neener crap If you really had something to say instead of just re-transmit somone else's quotes, videos whatever, no one would care.

But you never do. All you are is recycled bullshlt comprised of opinions formed by those much more articulate and a hell of a lot more creative than you.

Engage in a discussion for once in your life you dimwit and people might be a hell of a lot more tolerant.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You really are that dumb aren't you?
You just don't get it.

None of those links is a response in place of an actual argument and every single one of those posters regularly engages in genuine conversation. EVERYTHING you post is just stupid neener neener crap If you really had something to say instead of just re-transmit somone else's quotes, videos whatever, no one would care.

But you never do. All you are is recycled bullshlt comprised of opinions formed by those much more articulate and a hell of a lot more creative than you.

Engage in a discussion for once in your life you dimwit and people might be a hell of a lot more tolerant.
If he had a self-created thought to copy/paste, he would.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

;)
I found the one I posted. First of all, that post was about Ann Coulter and it had nothing to do with Barack or McCain.

The thread itself was criticizing the way Coulter (and many conservative pundits) defend the Republican ticket by attacking Barack.

I love to hear how McCain is going to solve our economic and military problems. I love to hear why Palin would be a good VP and ultimately, President.

Palin criticizes "Gotcha" questions, but I don't hear her telling me why she and McCain would be a good choice for the Executive branch. I hear her with lots of Barack "Gotchas", like one-time meetings with "domestic terrorists", where she has so many skeletons it is like her closet is a graveyard.

While I enjoy sparring with my conservative brethren, ultimately, I want solutions to my problems and my country's. Before the campaign season, for me, it was about personality and party loyalty.

After the Palin selection and how the economic crisis was handled, now it is about leadership and the issues.

What is your reason for supporting McCain/Palin, N 8? And don't tell me that Barack sucks. Give me a good reason why the Republicans have the solution.

P.S. for everyone else, I bet N 8 has no answer.

Last edited: