Quantcast

keep narlus away from pennies

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a cautionary tale...

yesterday i decided to remove my avalanche shock from my DH bike as it's way overdue for a rebuild and nitrogen recharge. getting the thing out of my frame (Giant DH) is a giant PITA, and i realized that i needed to take the cranks off so i could take both links out, and hopefully the shock would drop out.

i looked all over for my crank puller but couldn't find it anywhere. the basement's an absolute mess w/ crap all over it, and my kids are found of dragging my stuff around and dropping off at parts unknown.

so, no ISIS puller but i figured i'd use my old trick in ireland. use a regular crank puller but stick a euro penny in there to push against (otherwise the inner part of the puller just goes into the spindle hole and doesn't push against anything).

i am turning the puller like mad, but the crank doesn't seem to be loosening at all. i decide the back the puller out, and i see this around it:

the squared edges are where i put it in my vise to extract it.

doh! the penny center is stuck inside my bb spindle. hopefully i can pop it out from the other side and i didn't muck up my threads, but first i need to either find or buy an ISIS puller before i try anything else.

:mad:

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
this thread should read "keep narlus and his home tool remedies away from yr bike..."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Dirty said:
this thread should read "keep narlus and his home tool remedies away from yr bike..."
hey, it worked before!

i should have looked for 2 of those pennies...

wumpus, can self-extracting bolts work on any cranks? i also screwed up my xtr cranks a bit because i wasn't aware that you have to fully remove the cranks before you put the cranks on the bb spindle splines, and then install the bolts. i just left 'em on, tightened, and managed to round out the splines ever so slightly.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Keep your kids away from your tools because you might get a penny stuck in your cranks? :think: I could think of some good reasons to keep your kids away from tools, but that's not one of them ;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Try using a stainless disc (or a washer with a small hole) instead of the penny. I used the same trick yesterday and got my cranks off.

The penny is softer then the steel of the crank puller and spindle.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
OK Ciaran we get it :)

I use the same trick by the way, a nice steel washer does the trick.

Narlus, self extracting bolts work on every crank to the best of my knowledge. I've used the self extracting bolts on several different sets and I keep a few around to use a crank extractors if someone has the non-extractor type installed

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I had to pull my ISIS cranks off the other day.....so I reached into my toolbox to get the ISIS crank puller, and it was there, 'cause I don't have any kids. :blah:

J

JRB

Yes - you can use self extractors for any isis cranks, but you can also use the little push pin that comes with an FSA isis BB. I will look to see if I have one, but the shop should, which allows using a regular puller.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the what, loco? can you post a picture? i got something with an XTR bb tool (similar to park bbt-8) and i have no idea what the thing is for.

J

JRB

PM me your address, Narlus. I just found a second one, if you would like me to mail it to you. It'll help offset the pain of the Dwight comp I haven't done yet.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
the what, loco? can you post a picture? i got something with an XTR bb tool (similar to park bbt-8) and i have no idea what the thing is for.

It fits in a 10mm bolt hole, instead of the 10m hole it looks like it would fill from that huge pic. Here's a link - it comes with 105 cranks and FSA bottom brackets.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Narlus, I got a set of self extracting crank bolts on my XT cranks about 5 or 6 years ago and have been swapping them from cranks to cranks ever since. Best invention ever, next to lock-on grips.

I guess the wheel was pretty nice, too. And beer.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
kinghami3 said:
Keep your kids away from your tools because you might get a penny stuck in your cranks? :think: I could think of some good reasons to keep your kids away from tools, but that's not one of them ;)

Yeah, think about a 5 yo with a brad nailer........

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I only have an old style crank puller and have never had a problem pulling Isis cranks. I found a long bolt laying around that seems to be the perfect size, I put it into the hollow axel the crank puller pushes it into the opposite side crank bolt. Get one side off replace the bolt and hit the other side.

I used to get my ass kicked if I lost my fathers tools.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Obviously, if you had been drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale while admiring your High Definition 29er this would never have happened.

:p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
I don't know which mod changed the thread title, but I think narlus just got owned ;)
hey -

they are Euro pennies, so that's like 1.15 regular US pennies.

N8, i was working on my bike at ~1 in the afternoon; no beer.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, the easiest way to get your cranks off is to just undo the 8mm crank bolts and ride for a while without bolts. The arms come right off. This has helped me avoid using actual tools to work on bikes for several years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bikenweed said:
Dude, the easiest way to get your cranks off is to just undo the 8mm crank bolts and ride for a while without bolts. The arms come right off. This has helped me avoid using actual tools to work on bikes for several years.
:dead:

You do know that doing that damages the square taper interface, right? And that it can be downright dangerous to ride the cranks/BB after you've done that?

It's not so bad with ISIS since it's a splined interface, but it does nasty things to your BB spindle and the cranks on square taper.

Save your bike parts and yourself and make the tiny investment in a simple tool.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
splat said:
there is always blow torch and a Hammer method.
:thumb:

I seriously wonder somtimes if people don't realize that they trust their life with this lightweight device they ride on.

Bikes are built on a very fine line between weight and strength. Doing things like the old, "back out the bolts and ride around until it falls off" seems a little careless/foolish to me.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
:thumb:

I seriously wonder somtimes if people don't realize that they trust their life with this lightweight device they ride on.

Bikes are built on a very fine line between weight and strength. Doing things like the old, "back out the bolts and ride around until it falls off" seems a little careless/foolish to me.
I had a broken crank bolt and my arm fell off of the Jamis. I check it constantly. It seems to be holding though.

binary visions said:
:dead:

You do know that doing that damages the square taper interface, right? And that it can be downright dangerous to ride the cranks/BB after you've done that?

It's not so bad with ISIS since it's a splined interface, but it does nasty things to your BB spindle and the cranks on square taper.

Save your bike parts and yourself and make the tiny investment in a simple tool.
It'll damage splines too. A damn poor idea.