Quantcast

Keep running Minion DHF's or try something new?

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I have just ridden a season on the Specialized Butcher DH and I think that they're really amazing.
The grip level is very similar to the DHFs. I find that you can get them to slide when you want to and they are very predictable when that happens. They also wear down very well, the center knobs don't just peel off like the DHFs.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Looking at this pic from Val D'Allos, it looks like Dan is on dual-DHR2s:

source. Also interesting to note is that Graves is on dual-DHFs.

I'll also note that in the comments, Clementz comments on being called out for running Maxxis tires on day 2 after his puncture on day 1. He says his contract with Mavic is for development only, he is still free to run what he wants at races. He chose Maxxis tires because he has tested them with tubes and is confident in them. Because of EWS rules, he had to ride the same rim he started off with (or incur a 5 minute penalty, effectively taking him entirely out of the game). so with a compromised rim, he needed to go with tubes, and decided to go with a combo he knows, has tested, and trusts.
Exactly. I read that also. Good translating thanks. Good also too see Jérôme on the comments answering the doubters.

Was Graves running Dh casing DHFs or the exo version?

hell of a race it was! funny how nobody is talking about it on RM.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Was Graves running Dh casing DHFs or the exo version.
According to his blog he was running single-ply 2.5 EXO Minion DHFs set up ghetto tubeless on DT EX500 rims using the split tube method. And he had no flats unlike some other riders running legit UST wheels. Of course there are geniuoses on here that would claim that is unpossible.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have to admit. I've blown some holes in some EXOs. But I have no idea what pressure I was running compared to Jared Graves, and the truth is......I don't think they ever went during the first two days of use :D

I've never tried them tubeless, but I have torn a couple off rims on my trail bike. Never run them on a big bike at all, but I'm with you in that I haven't killed one straight off.

Back when I was working in a shop, Conti gave me some of their Trail King 2.4 SuperSonics to try out. They were like 530g each for a 2.4. Neither survived the first ride. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wouldn't know, it's too hard to find since some genius unstuck it.
LOL I unstuck it and attached it to the FAQ thread. I'll re-sticky it as it's quite clear that a single post that accumulates all the most important and useful threads (like what trailbike for a downhiller) is borderline particle physics for most users.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
:wave:

I'll throw down a challenge here. You try setting up DHF Exos on EX500s with the split tube method. We can discuss the unpossibleness and my geniuosness after.
Three things.

One, that was not directed at you or any one person. It was to all the folks that abjectly deny that a particular tire setup (or tread) will work based on their limited scope of personal experience.

Two, the info on Graves setup was taken from his race journal which was posted on Vital. It also stated that he ran 27psi front and 30 psi rear. I have no idea how long he runs his tire setup before he swaps it out. For all I know he tossed his entire bike in a French river at the end of the weekend. What I do suspect is that he wouldn't run that setup if it wasn't reliable. And as I pointed out, it turned out to be more reliable than some other setups. As for mine, I have a setup that works for me and I'll likely stick to until I'm ready to try something else.

Third, and maybe the key point, is the confusion of what people are using the tires discussed here for exactly. Even though this is the DH forum, I can't help but think what is often being discussed is for trail bikes and not DH bikes. I know MP started this thread clearly talking about his DH setup, but as often happens, it evolves into a general tire discussion. That's fine, I know it's the internet and all that, but it does muddy what is being discussed. I can tell you that if we are talking a purely DH tire setup, that I run tubes in proper dual-ply DH tires (HR2s).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It also stated that he ran 27psi front and 30 psi rear.
Okay, now he's just a liar :D

Seriously though, if those were fast descents that's nuts. That's the range that I seem to let myself creep down to when I start pinging rims (and subsequently start puncturing them.

Third, and maybe the key point, is the confusion of what people are using the tires discussed here for exactly. Even though this is the DH forum, I can't help but think what is often being discussed is for trail bikes and not DH bikes.
Guilty as hell. I've run lighter wheels/tires on my dh bike but that was some specific applications. I've never, and never would run EXO tires on my dh bike normally. And to the dh/vs trail bike thing, you're the one who brought up graves doing a trail bike race ;)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Okay, now he's just a liar :D

Seriously though, if those were fast descents that's nuts. That's the range that I seem to let myself creep down to when I start pinging rims (and subsequently start puncturing them.
i attempted 30+/- psi on the trail bike with singleplys and tubes yesterday...

managed to keep air in the tires until the last corner which was fireroad..rocky and highspeed but still fireroad..dont know how it didnt happen on the miles of rocky singletrack before that...

i can imagine with tubeless the rims would get hammered pretty quick..put a nice dent in it yesterday

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Three things.

One, that was not directed at you or any one person. It was to all the folks that abjectly deny that a particular tire setup (or tread) will work based on their limited scope of personal experience.
I just assumed it was at least partially directed at me as I have been on a bit of an anti-tubeless jihad of late. I am not opposed to the whole idea but people are using really unsound and unsafe combinations for the sake of overhyped gains. This particular combination may have gotten Graves through the weekend but I can tell you from personal experience that it is very difficult to get them set up.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
That guy's a dick!
Wait what?!!!! You damn tire nazi getting all crossed for a lump of rubber!!!!

BTW it was Slyfink who brought the whole discussion in the enduro realm by talking about enduro setups in Val d'Allos

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
BTW it was Slyfink who brought the whole discussion in the enduro realm by talking about enduro setups in Val d'Allos
wait just a cotton pickin' minute there cowboy... it was Tuumbaq that brought it up, responding to cableguy... I was just filling in his blank...

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
wait just a cotton pickin' minute there cowboy... it was Tuumbaq that brought it up, responding to cableguy... I was just filling in his blank...
Sorry bro no harm intented. The ol' monkey got out of hand like usual.