Quantcast

Keep the chair?

What do I do with the chairs?

• Keep the chairs. Your fat ass needs all the support it can get.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Sell the chairs on eBay. Buy new bike parts. Go ride. Lose fat ass.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Turn down the deal. The chairs have too much bad karma attached to them.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Cookie Monster

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So a friend of mine who owed me some cash came by last night with a "deal" for me. He owes me about 400.00 which I know I won't see for a few years because the loan was to help out his family in a tough time. We've been friends for years and years, I know his wife and son very well. He won't skip out on the debt, and I am in no hurry to be paid back. Anyhoo... he comes by with an offer... he wants to sell me two of those Herman Miller Aeron chairs for the 400 he owes (or whatever portion I'll accept). While I didn't ask where the chairs came from, I assume they came from his employer (Very large entertainment company here in SoCal).

I am thinking that I'll take the deal because it will help out a friend, and I can either sell the chairs or use them for my own fat ass. I don't like the thought that the chairs may have come to me through less than legitimate channels, but it's not like he stole a crippled girls custome made tricycle.

What would you do? Keep the chairs? Sell the chairs? Tell friend that he better get me my money or I'll sell his kid on ebay to the gypsies?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ciaran said:
So a friend of mine who owed me some cash came by last night with a "deal" for me. He owes me about 400.00 which I know I won't see for a few years because the loan was to help out his family in a tough time. We've been friends for years and years, I know his wife and son very well. He won't skip out on the debt, and I am in no hurry to be paid back. Anyhoo... he comes by with an offer... he wants to sell me two of those Herman Miller Aeron chairs for the 400 he owes (or whatever portion I'll accept). While I didn't ask where the chairs came from, I assume they came from his employer (Very large entertainment company here in SoCal).

I am thinking that I'll take the deal because it will help out a friend, and I can either sell the chairs or use them for my own fat ass. I don't like the thought that the chairs may have come to me through less than legitimate channels, but it's not like he stole a crippled girls custome made tricycle.

What would you do? Keep the chairs? Sell the chairs? Tell friend that he better get me my money or I'll sell his kid on ebay to the gypsies?
Stab him with your swords!!

Then take the chairs!!

Edit: Can you ask them where they came from?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I'll give you $250 + shipping today for one of them. Ethics be damned, my back hurts and my underfunded government lab isn't about to purchase those any time soon. I had the pleasure of working in one for a few months several years ago. Back pain was gone!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So you are supporting your friends venture into possible criminal activity.... that is sad.

Does he have any good laptops?:cool:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I like this gypsies idea myself.

I'm guessing he's trying to pawn the chairs off on you because he's already figured out that it's not that easy to sell furniture and get a decent price for it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I've never used an Aeron chair before. I'm afraid that once I sit in it I'll never get up.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'll go $250 for one as well. See if you can find out what size they are (A, B, C) and make sure they are real Herman Millers.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
stinkyboy said:
I'll go $250 for one as well. See if you can find out what size they are (A, B, C) and make sure they are real Herman Millers.
There you go. Between us you get $100 profit and your friend's children get a criminal for a role model.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:rofl:
I should have posted this in the Buy and Sell forum!

I'll check with the wifie and see what she want's to do. That and if I sell them how the hell do I box up and ship those suckers?

IAB, I prefer the cookies myself.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Interesting responses.

I wonder if they would be different if "chairs" was changed to "bikes" and if "Very large entertainment company here in SoCal" was changed to "local bike shop"?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
justsomeguy said:
Interesting responses.

I wonder if they would be different if "chairs" was changed to "bikes" and if "Very large entertainment company here in SoCal" was changed to "local bike shop"?
Yes, they would.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
If some schmuck in Hollywood got downsized, I'll take his chair...
I'm just laughing thinking about some Hollywood schmuck running around this morning scratching his head wondering where the hell his chair is.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
love these chairs. my wife has them @ work. makes our office depot specials seem really ghetto, though @ $800-1000 a piece they should be pretty nice. i'd take them & try not to think too hard about their possible dubious origins.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Ciaran said:
I'm just laughing thinking about some Hollywood schmuck running around this morning scratching his head wondering where the hell his chair is.

HAH! You mean his intern running around. Ever seen "Swimming with Sharks?"

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
take the chairs. those things are soooo nice. possible most comfortable chairs ever put on this earth. plus ur helpin out a friend and you could easily sell those for a profit.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'll give you $251! Look comfy, ow, may back...ever since the accident...and not to mention my sick mother...

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
justsomeguy said:
I wouldn't be surprised by that although I fail to see the moral, or legal, difference.
There is none, but double standards make the world go 'round... one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong. One of these countries has nuclear weapons, one of these countries gets told that is wrong.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think the real question needed to be asked here is:

Ciaran, can I borrow $400?

I won't have any money to pay you back, but I do have 2 lounge chairs with rusty ratchets. A little WD40 and you are all set!!:thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The real question is what you do you think about stealing. If you worked at his place of business, would you steal the chairs if given the opportunity?

So accepting obviously stolen property is not much different, ethically, just without the risk.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
when i read the title
i thought this was going to be about capital punishment.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sanjuro said:
The real question is what you do you think about stealing. If you worked at his place of business, would you steal the chairs if given the opportunity?

So accepting obviously stolen property is not much different, ethically, just without the risk.
Would I steal the chairs? No. I even wagged my finger at him for risking his job over a couple of chairs. Dumb move IMO.

I may tell him to sell them on ebay himself and pay me with that money. Or maybe I'll sell em to Stinky and Sam Little...

On the one hand I want to keep the chairs or sell them on ebay for 400 bucks. On the other hand they are of dubious origin. But I can help out a friend in need, and can pay some of my own bills.

Sigh.... dang this morality thing!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
Would I steal the chairs? No. I even wagged my finger at him for risking his job over a couple of chairs. Dumb move IMO.

I may tell him to sell them on ebay himself and pay me with that money. Or maybe I'll sell em to Stinky and Sam Little...

On the one hand I want to keep the chairs or sell them on ebay for 400 bucks. On the other hand they are of dubious origin. But I can help out a friend in need, and can pay some of my own bills.

Sigh.... dang this morality thing!
Just don't get yourself in trouble trying to help a friend (again).

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Keep the chairs, try them out for a few days, sell one if you like them but still want the money, sell both if you just want this to be over and done with.

I got two of them for $100 when the company that owned them 'downsized' one of their locations and hired a liquidator to eliminate all of their 'assets' - totally above-the-boards, but the liquidator didn't care or want to know how valuable they were, just following orders, etc.

It happens. Crazy stuff, but technically 'morally upright'.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's not morally correct, of course, but I'd probably take the chairs since they're worth more money than his debt.

But don't just unload them on eBay unless there are other chairs of the same type being sold regularly there. If his company notices the theft and someone gets the bright idea to check eBay, you'll be a target. Then, you have the fun options of taking the blame or turning your friend over. Obviously you shouldn't take the blame, but you don't really want to have to turn in your buddy.

If the money doesn't mean anything to you, keeping a chair might be a sweet option. But it sounds like you've got bills to pay so hanging onto a chair that's worth that much doesn't seem very financially responsible :)