Quantcast

Keeping bike in car during hot summer day.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
I ride at work during lunch at times and keep my bike in the car. The temps reach above 100 probaly about 120 in the car. Would it cause harm to the rear shock and fork? Particular the seals and wipers.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I doubt that. Keep in mind that seals and wipers are also exposed to heat while you are riding, because of friction.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
make sure to crack a window and leave some water in there.

Dude it's a bike, it'll be fine.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I live in Australia and my seats get so hot you can't sit on them til you crank the AC for a bit or you throw a towel on them.

I leave my bike in the car pretty much all the time and I have noticed the fork will pump out a slight amount of oil but that's about it. Just try to take your helmet out of the car as protecting your brain is probably more important than fork or shock seals.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I'll be more worried about brakes if they aren't bleed properly o tires if they have too much air pressure on them...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I've found some avid brakes like to store their fluid on the outside while in hot cars.

Everything else has been fine though (including every other brand of brake). Like someone else said though, I'd be taking my helmet out. UV degrades most plastics and foams, save the ones that save your head!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'll be more worried about brakes if they aren't bleed properly o tires if they have too much air pressure on them...
Your tyre pressures will increase by about 10% max, they're certainly not going to pop.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Thanks. It was just one of those things I was just wondering and thought I would put it out there. I was never worried about the brakes or the tires. I have the codes and they never leaked out oil. I was just concerned with causing premature degradation of the seals on the suspension. It appears I don't have anything to worry about. Thanks.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
just imagine you set your new set of tubeless tires with lots of pressure in order to have them seal better the night before... :rofl::rofl:
Your tyre pressures will increase by about 10% max, they're certainly not going to pop.