Quantcast

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
going to pick up this soon....

Gonna use it for a quarter barrel from the beer store & then eventually on cornie kegs of homebrew.

Anything I need to know?
Will the same fittings work on a regular keg as a cornie keg?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All I got to say is when you have a keg you always drink a lot more than you think/want. Something about not having empties or a site gauge to quantify how much you have been drinking.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
All I got to say is when you have a keg you always drink a lot more than you think/want. Something about not having empties or a site gauge to quantify how much you have been drinking.
thats OK. i use the falling down gauge. :cheers:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've posted this pic a few times, but this is my kegerator. Can't say enough good things about it. 34 degrees....perfect temp. What I would advise is, to chill your keg in the fridge for at least 24 hours before tapping it. That will greatly minimize any foaming that will occur.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've posted this pic a few times, but this is my kegerator. Can't say enough good things about it. 34 degrees....perfect temp. What I would advise is, to chill your keg in the fridge for at least 24 hours before tapping it. That will greatly minimize any foaming that will occur.
34, crap. I like my beer cool but the only reason to drink it that cold is if you don't like the taste. I like my beer at around 50 degrees.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
34, crap. I like my beer cool but the only reason to drink it that cold is if you don't like the taste. I like my beer at around 50 degrees.
Well....it does have a thermometer, and you can adjust for different types of beer. Pilsners...which I normally have in there, really seem to do well at that temp.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hes probably just going to fill it with PBR and do fixie tricks next to it in his garage.

Jealous about the kegerator and awesome about the homebrew! Enjoy!

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Absolutely, the beer flows. The wife wanted one even more than I did because she thought it would save money. I was trying to be honest and warned her that we'll just drink more and sure enough......... We've only had it about 5 months but I'm not ready to give it up yet, I like me some of them holiday brews.

good luck man, you'll like it:thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Absolutely, the beer flows. The wife wanted one even more than I did because she thought it would save money. I was trying to be honest and warned her that we'll just drink more and sure enough......... We've only had it about 5 months but I'm not ready to give it up yet, I like me some of them holiday brews.

good luck man, you'll like it:thumb:
Buying kegs to save money is like buying cocaine in kilos to save money.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Back on track, you need different fittings for commercial kegs and your homebrew soda kegs. Check out northernbrewer.com for various gas and beer fittings to match either type of keg.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeah.....that's something they never tell you. You go through beer so fast with a kegerator, it's actually kind of scary. Even if you have all of the elements in order and you're not wasting it on excess foam pour-off, it still goes down very, very quickly.

NTTAWWT....:rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your point?

Its simple laws of economics chief, buying in bulk will allow you to get a better price per unit.
My point? Really?

You don't save money if you end up consuming more.

A keg of beer can save you 30% per ounce but if you drink twice as much you are spending more money.

Now it make sense when purchasing something that you use at a fixed rate, like toilet paper. That is unless you uncontrollably wipe your ass at the site of large amounts of Charmin.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Your point?

Its simple laws of economics chief, buying in bulk will allow you to get a better price per unit.

Not everyone has the economic will power to profit from putting a kilo of the white dragon on your coffee table Friday evening without having everything but a slight residue from the bag left over by Sunday am.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You don't save money if you end up consuming more.
That's operating under the assumption that you will consume more.

I lived in a house that had a kegerator which we kept full. I was aware of this concept (having a keg = drinking more) so I actually kept track of whether or not my drinking increased after obtaining the kegerator. Guess what? It didn't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not everyone has the economic will power to profit from putting a kilo of the white dragon on your coffee table Friday evening without having everything but a slight residue from the bag left over by Sunday am.
The only person that profits in this scenario is whoever sold the coke.

But if you're going through that much blow in a weekend, I think cost effectiveness isn't your biggest issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I lived in a house that had a kegerator which we kept full. I was aware of this concept (having a keg = drinking more) so I actually kept track of whether or not my drinking increased after obtaining the kegerator. Guess what? It didn't.
Did you keep up a beer consumption spreadsheet?

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland

if you're doing maths about the beer you're drinking you're not drinking beer for the right reasons /irony

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Here she is.....
our first major appliance purchase.

sprecher pub brown ale with some home brewed summer ale in bottles.

They do make good beer in M'waukee.

On the other side of the basement......Sleeping Warrior.