Quantcast

Kel Tec PF9 with upgrades, or something else..?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I really like the Kel Tec PF9, but if I buy one I'll probably end up doing around $100 worth of upgrades to it. I want the Traction grip overlay, reduced power hammer and firing pin springs, RTK short stroke trigger, and +1 grip extender.

So my question is, are there any better options are there for a similar gun for about a hundred dollars more than the PF9? ($400 total)

Here's the links to the upgrades:
http://gallowayprecision.com/kel-tec-performance/pf9-and-p11-performance-parts/
http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/pf-9-1-grip-extension-2/

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Are you still looking to shoot better? If so my first suggestion is learn to shoot better before doing any upgrades.

Also, If your going to buy a weapon and modify it, why not look at something better to begin with? Factory warranties are nice, and they go away fast when doing mods/upgrades.....

Seriously though, not a fan of the kel tec to begin with, As it is known here I am a springfield fan, but in this case I would take a serious look at the Smith and Wesson MP Sheild..... Turners was selling them for 399.... You cannot beat that,

When looking at a new pistol, do not look at it and think Man that is nice after I do this and this and this...... Like bikes, just buy something that fits what you want to begin with.......

one last bit, before doing anything with trigger pulls, springs anything like that........ Learn how to do a detail strip, anyone can field strip, but a detail strip is sooooo much more, Break your pistol down as absolute as possible, clean and polish everything... then shoot it and see how much better it shoot before spending money.... By polish I do not mean make clean, I mean get the ultra fine sand paper out, get the steel wool out, get the soap stones out..... make every contact surface as smooth as possible.... works wonders before spending money

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
All of that is good advice. I guess I didn't mention it when I originally posted, but I'm also getting a Springfield XD-9 Service soon as well. I'll be doing a ton of practice with that, but I have gotten a lot better since I posted that thread. This will be for concealed carry further down the road, I'd just like to own the gun and get used to it for at least a couple months before I start carrying it full time.

Also, I do really like the M&P Shield. I need to find in a shop so I can hold one in my hands. I'm definitely not going to buy a firearm sight unseen. I held the Kel Tec the other day and I was pretty impressed, but after reading so many mixed reviews on them I'm having second thoughts. BTW the only thing original on my hardtail is the frame ;)

As for the last part, I can do a detailed strip on every gun I currently own and it's the first thing I learn whenever I buy a new one. And I've never polished the internals of a pistol, but I did my semi-auto shotgun not too long ago and the increase in reliability was pretty dramatic. I definitely plan on doing it to my pistols.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
All of that is good advice. I guess I didn't mention it when I originally posted, but I'm also getting a Springfield XD-9 Service soon as well. I'll be doing a ton of practice with that, but I have gotten a lot better since I posted that thread. This will be for concealed carry further down the road, I'd just like to own the gun and get used to it for at least a couple months before I start carrying it full time.
if youre getting a full size XD, why not look into getting the sub compact or compact for concealed carry? they all have similar triggers (if not the same) so it would make transitioning b/w guns a lot easier.
going from the XD to the KelTec with a worse trigger in it is dumb imo

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I held the XD sub compact the other day and I didn't like it at all for a CCW. It was heavy, thick, and not really that concealable. I want a lightweight single stack 9mm like the PF9 or the shield. I'm starting to lean more towards the shield after what DirtyMike said. And I like the striker-fire system on it as opposed to the DA hammer system on the PF9.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
cant go wrong with the Shield then but if you have large hands like i do, it can be a bit awkward b/c of its size even with the 8rd mag. it does have a much better trigger and a overall better construction too then the keltec

heres mine after the stippling i did...well worth the time over the sandpaper type grips

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
My hands aren't overly big (M/L glove size) and I have pretty narrow fingers so I think I'll be okay. I got a speeding ticket yesterday and started talking to the cop about CCW after he asked about the knife I keep on the side of my center console. He suggested the XD-S .45 if I'm going to practice with a full sized XD. I like the idea, but it's a little more money.

Whatever I get for CCW needs to be single stack though. I'm not a huge guy (5'11'' 155#) so I need something pretty slim and small so it's not completely obvious I'm carrying.