Kelly McGarry, Ouch!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
"I'm all good, munched my foot a bit and got two cuts on arm totalling 7 stitches."

This proves it. These "free riders" are in fact a gang of rogue mutants! :tinfoil:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
what brand bar and stem? That's a ridiculous impact. I hope RedBull does a sanity check after this event, that could have been disastrous...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
whose arms are those? You'd think he would have known his arms were broken and wouldn't have writtten "I'm all good, munched my foot a bit and got two cuts on arm totalling 7 stitches."...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
whose arms are those? You'd think he would have known his arms were broken and wouldn't have writtten "I'm all good, munched my foot a bit and got two cuts on arm totalling 7 stitches."...
yeah, weird... and isn't that a two x-rays of the same arm?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
This event makes me think of X-games MTB on snow, circa 2000. Somebody thought it would be cool but it raised more eyebrows than stoke levels....bummed for Kelly! Heal up fast.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm still looking at the deformed headtube. The wheel exploding on the flat landing isn't that surprising, I've never seen broken bike pics with a HT like that though.

Strong welds, butter alloy HT?

Aug 4, 2008
I'm still looking at the deformed headtube. The wheel exploding on the flat landing isn't that surprising, I've never seen broken bike pics with a HT like that though.

Strong welds, butter alloy HT?
It wasn't a landing to flat. Correcting for perspective it had to be reasonably steep. Also the damage to headtube is only because the wheelset collapsed and fork plowing into stone leveraged the frame.

Seriously, go watch Rampage... The way wheels break under him is scary. And I reckon it is either Atomlabs or wheelbuilders fault.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Seriously, go watch Rampage... The way wheels break under him is scary. And I reckon it is either Atomlabs or wheelbuilders fault.
These incidents are so far outside the designed use case. It's hard to draw meaningful conclucions from equipment failure here. Even moto wheels can't handle 20-30ft drops to flat (ish). There so much more going on then simple unaxial loads as well. You really have no idea what kind of forces were imparted on those wheels and headtube in these kinds of hits from grainy videos hundreds of feet away.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maybe I'm wrong. Local news portal posted this.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hmm...his rims are aluminum...the YT frame is aluminum...they were both exposed to sunlight. Perhaps UV rays are more potent than we originally thought. :tinfoil:

Btw, wasn't Kelly on a DB8 at Rampage? If so, I guess I missed the announcement he got picked up YT.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I suspect that the massive weight of his hair and its associated products is giving him so much momentum that any conventional product simply can't stop the freight train once it gets rolling...

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Hmm...his rims are aluminum...the YT frame is aluminum...they were both exposed to sunlight. Perhaps UV rays are more potent than we originally thought. :tinfoil:

Btw, wasn't Kelly on a DB8 at Rampage? If so, I guess I missed the announcement he got picked up YT.
Major bonus points for the Richmond gif!