Quantcast

Kenda Excavator Cuts

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Looks like I have the issue with the specialized tire cutting tips

Is that what you were talking about George?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Looks like I have the issue with the specialized tire cutting tips

Is that what you were talking about George?
Na, Decline showed 3 or 4 cuts for the Excavators for different conditions. I know cutting Nevagals makes them a way better tire, I just want to get the EC's right from the start.
I'll check the blog, thanks

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
while were on the subject, I had a chance to ride some cut nevegals. They actually felt pretty good, and made me consider picking up a set instead of minions as per usual due to them being way cheaper. Anybody have any nevegal cutting pics so I can see what other setups people run?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
while were on the subject, I had a chance to ride some cut nevegals. They actually felt pretty good, and made me consider picking up a set instead of minions as per usual due to them being way cheaper. Anybody have any nevegal cutting pics so I can see what other setups people run?
For the front I do this for the rear every other one. Improves the tire 100% imo.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Excavators... wow. They roll like sh*t (no, I havn't cut them) but are incredible as far as velcro like traction. I rock a pair of 2.5's on the big bike and a 2.35 folding on the front of my pedal bike. I was a Highroller devotee before before but I've seen the light. It doesn't hurt that they are cheaper than most tires.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Ran them all last season. Cut and uncut. They roll a little slower than minions and nevegals, but the grip is way better. The main difference is that there is no drift then grip when transitioning from center to side knobs like in Minions when cornering hard. They won't drift hardly at all, but when they finally do break loose you are going down.

All in all they are my favorite tire. I have run them at Snowshoe, Keystone, and Diablo. They are fantastic in all but hardpack conditions. Any time there is a bit of moisture they are about as good as it gets.

They became the tire to run at snowshoe last year for most of the guys I ride with.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I'm running 2.5 front / 2.35 rear EC right now. I have to agree with the grip, consistent and confident. I've had the rear start to drift a bit on steep corners but had no problems with it.

I may switch to 2.35 front and rear after the Angel Fire race. Whatever they lose is rolling compared to Minions will be made up in weight savings. I've weighed a 2.5 Minion right next to a 2.35 EC, the EC is 100 grams lighter. Pretty good considering the Minion 2.5 is about the same as the EC 2.35.

Oh they're cheaper and Kenda hooks up my team great! Much better grass roots pricing than Maxxis.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I wouldn't go smaller than 2.5 for AF. No matter who is measuring the tire. But I've been taking crazy pills lately...

I've only had a few rides on my EXC. Set them up tubless (w/stans and crossmax) and am pretty impressed with them so far. Seem to hook up very well on the rocks/loose/hardpack combo found almost everywhere in CO.

Kenda's sticke compound isn't as soft as Maxxis Super Tacky IMO. Would like to see the durometer test, tho fo sho.