Quantcast

Kenda Nevegal + Maxxis Strips + Slime = Flat Tire

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Been a huge fan of Stan's sealant and Maxxis strips for awhile now, but I read the stories about Stan's goo ruining Kenda tires so I figured I'd better use Slime with my new Kenda Nevegals instead.

Well, don't bother. I put in 1.5 scoops of regular Slime and was able to get it to seal overnight just fine, but once you start riding leaks pop up all over the place. The Slime bottle says it will seal holes up to 1/8", no way! It won't even seal pinholes in the sidewall I can barely see. (yes I shook the Slime over the hole, it sealed for a second until I gently pushed on that spot)

So it looks like I'll be going back to Stan's goo, hopefully it won't eat the rubber. Heck, the Stick-E rubber is so soft they'll probably wear out in no time anyway, so they won't have time to come apart.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
My Nevegal John Tomac (40d) tires have lasted a long long long time. Ive been riding them since early augsut almost every weekend and only the rear tire is starting to show some wear.

My maxxis tires on the other hand seem to fall apart in a few weekends.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Stan's ruins Kenda tires?

I went for my 1st ride today with my maxxis rim strip / kenda cortez 2.4 (non ust) today and had no problems at all. They hadn't been sealing up 100% until actually riding on them.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
not to be a dick but:

think about this though slime in fairly thin and runny. it is not designed to seal holes in the sidewall but in the face of the tread were it is 99% on the time. it is not a tire sealent but a hole sealent. way do people ask products to do things it was not designed for and then get mad when it doesn't work.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Are you running Slime Inner Tube or Slime Tubeless sealant? They're way different, so if you weren't running the tubeless setup, it wouldn't work at all.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
slime sealent never works, in my opinion i say do not even bother with it. i always thought it was a way for bike shops to get more money form you, because it never has helped me with flats

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
zmtber said:
slime sealent never works, in my opinion i say do not even bother with it. i always thought it was a way for bike shops to get more money form you, because it never has helped me with flats
Were you pulling out puncturing objects, inflating the tire, and spinning it around?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used 7/8 of a tube of slime on my 255/50/16 car rim and it has sealed up just fine since july. Had a slow leak, but not anymore. Pretty old tires, too.

Car tires aren't bike tires, but the slime is the same.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Stan's sealant does not eat Kenda tires. Kenda has found the same type of failures occuring with all types of sealant, Slime included.

I would get in to a rant on sealants that claim to distinguish themselves by saying they are glycol based but I'll save it for another day.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Hmmm, looks like air gets between the layers of rubber/cloth and bubbles it out like that. I'll bet if you give the sidewall a pinhole to vent the outer layer of rubber when a bubble first starts it would take care of the problem. The Stan's should seal where the air is getting in on the inside, and the problem would soon be gone.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As of a little while ago, slime tubeless sealant was only for UST type systems, NOT for stans, maybe that has changed, but I havn't heard anything.

In the role it was designed for, the slime sealant does great, seals up decent size holes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As of a little while ago, slime tubeless sealant was only for UST type systems, NOT for stans, maybe that has changed, but I havn't heard anything.

In the role it was designed for, the slime sealant does great, seals up decent size holes.