Quantcast

Kenda UST vs non UST

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i've argued with trying new tires this coming season, and still haven't come to a conclusion, but it's hard for me to sway from kharma's once again.. i've been running standard DTC kharmas tubeless with stans since lateish fall and have had no real problems. does anybody know if it would even be worth it to get the UST version? the standard tires are way lighter, and i've heard a lot of smack talk about kenda's and tubeless, which makes me want to stick with what i have experience with...the non UST tires. any input?

Trev

ps i know, it's another tire thread...

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
If it works for you, why change? I believe though that Kenda will not warrant a non-ust tire used with sealant. Some say the sealant can cause the tire to delaminate. I have experienced difficulty with getting the sealant to actualy plug the porous tire very well for at least the first week or so. It appears that there is a slick coating inside Kenda's that prevents Stan's sealant from coating the inside.

There are lots of good tires out there though and it is worth experimenting with other brands and coumpounds and tread patterns. You might find something you like better.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
If you aren't experiencing issues, keep running it. I use their UST tires because they have beefier sidewalls/casings, which is good for a 240lb sasquatch :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I believe though that Kenda will not warrant a non-ust tire used with sealant. Some say the sealant can cause the tire to delaminate. I have experienced difficulty with getting the sealant to actualy plug the porous tire very well for at least the first week or so. It appears that there is a slick coating inside Kenda's that prevents Stan's sealant from coating the inside.
You are correct! I personally have UST wheels so I have UST tires (all Kenda) and haven't had any troubles with them at all. My husband is about the same size and runs both UST and non (all Kenda) and doesn't have troubles with either.

It seems like you've found a combo that works for you so I would just go with it, but I tend to live by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" means these days.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I've been running ust rims with ust Kendas on my SS for years and never have had a problem. But I've also run ust rims with non ust tires and stans - also without a problem and much lighter. I think it all comes down to setup - spend the time to get them setup correctly and they will rock either choice you make.