Quantcast

Kenda's

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I ordered a pair of Kenda Negeval's from work to day. Is anyone running these? I read in MBA that they were a great tire. What do you guys think?

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I wish I had known that before I slapped 'em on my TMX and went to Diablo, Mountain Creek; three pinches in a day! Can't wait to get them off my wheels.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
I found that running 30psi yields about the same anti-pinchflat success as a Maxxis HR DH or Minion DH at 20-25 psi, but with a springier feel to the Kenda casing.

you may or may not like the springy feel. if you have been riding Intense or Arrow tires you will think they're not even DH casing... but they're just not meant for such low psi, I think.

for sure if you're going to try 20psi or lower you're screwed if your terrain is rocky or ledgy or super-rooty.

I got mad at mine for dinging the rim at 20 psi but now am giving them another chance at 30 psi and making -1 psi reductions until I find my magic. my terrain is very rocky and most of the rocks are sharp square-edged. very much like you would see in video footage from the NORBA Sandpoint DH course.

if you're a "plow straight into everything" style of rider you may think the casings are not stiff/tough enough.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I run a Blue groove 2.7 front and a 24 inch nevegal 2.5. I run them both at 20 PSI on rhyno lites and I haven't had a problem all season at Diablo. I am a lighter rider ( 165 lbs) so maybe that has something to do with it. One of the guys I ride with runs his at about 24 lbs, and they hold up well even under his 200 lbs.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
The Rose said:
I run a Blue groove 2.7 front and a 24 inch nevegal 2.5. I run them both at 20 PSI on rhyno lites and I haven't had a problem all season at Diablo. I am a lighter rider ( 165 lbs) so maybe that has something to do with it. One of the guys I ride with runs his at about 24 lbs, and they hold up well even under his 200 lbs.
I can't comment on the Blue Groove or Nevegel tires; I was running dual 24" Kollosal DH's in 2.60. I was landing this one jump pretty hard; I think there may have been a sharp piece of shale (go figure) on the landing that my rear wheel kept slamming.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
got a 2.7 nevagal up front now and i'm going to order a 2.5 for the rear soon. never had a flat on it, but then i rarly drop below 28 psi and weigh 180. just run higher psi and you fine. it doesn't do hard cornering as well as a high roller but hooks up well in all types of terain.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
gonzostrike said:
I found that running 30psi yields about the same anti-pinchflat success as a Maxxis HR DH or Minion DH at 20-25 psi, but with a springier feel to the Kenda casing.

you may or may not like the springy feel. if you have been riding Intense or Arrow tires you will think they're not even DH casing... but they're just not meant for such low psi, I think.

for sure if you're going to try 20psi or lower you're screwed if your terrain is rocky or ledgy or super-rooty.

I got mad at mine for dinging the rim at 20 psi but now am giving them another chance at 30 psi and making -1 psi reductions until I find my magic. my terrain is very rocky and most of the rocks are sharp square-edged. very much like you would see in video footage from the NORBA Sandpoint DH course.

if you're a "plow straight into everything" style of rider you may think the casings are not stiff/tough enough.

I agree. I have been running a 2.5 Nev front and a 2.35 Nev rear for the past 2 years and haven't had any problems at all. I am a heavy rider (235lbs) and I run around 30 psi. Friends of mine who try to run less than 20 psi in the Nevegals pinch flat like crazy.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I run a 2.3 Nevegal on the front of my DH bike (I used to have a 2.5 but it's super heavy) and a 2.1 on the front of my 4x bike. It's a very fast-rolling tire and excellent in softer dirt. Unlike some Maxxis tires I've found that they have a lot more grey area between 100% and 0% grip. They're easy to drift with.

I don't have any experience with pinching the tire because it's always on the front and I like higher pressures. I ran a 2.5"x24" Nevegal on the back of my bike at Mammoth though and had no troubles. However, I did finally pinch my (rear) Kolossal at Whistler at fairly high pressures. BTW, never run that tire on the front, it sucks. On the back it's good.

Also you should note that Kendas run big. My 2.1 Nevegal is closer to 2.2 or a small 2.3. My 2.3 Nevegal is the same size (if not bigger) than my 2.5 Minion and is as big as most 2.5 tires. The 2.5 Nevegal is as big as a 2.7 High roller or a 2.6 Gazza (it's big). I shudder to think of what the 2.7 is like. It's still a fairly quick roller though.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Sweet thanks for all the info. They wouldnt be for DH, more freeride/all mountain stuff. But the area I ride in is known for mud and soft dirt so I should be good. My High Rollers are just too heavy as the Tubeless version. Its like I pedal real hard then just roll to a quick stop because of no momentum.