Quantcast

Kennedy Retiring. Fuck.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Really disappointed that Kennedy won't hang on a little longer, particularly since he's been a somewhat moderate swing voter. Perhaps the party finally called in the favor Kennedy owed from getting appointed in the first place.

One of my defense mechanisms has been a thin delusion that Trump's position is only temporary and most of his dumb shit can be unwound, but this is truly scary, with ramifications that go far beyond the current administration.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so I'm with you all on the doom and gloom, but there is hope.

1) I've read that kennedy sided with the conservatives on 14 of the last 14 votes. is that true? If so, he's not really that much of a swing voter. It also suggests that this doesn't truly tip the balance of the court.

2) Since this is the supreme court, most people have to be qualified (unlike the rest of trump's nominations ie pruit et al), and gorsuch was not a bad choice. There could have been so many other, actually evil people that he could have picked. I pray, and it seems likely in a normal functioning world (this dark timeline notwithstanding), that a qualified judge will be have to be selected regardless of trump's insanity.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Just for sake of conversation, what do you guys think should happen if a SC judge is nominated by DT, but then he's ultimately removed from the throne for any manner of crime, collusion, etc. related to getting in office in the first place?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've read that kennedy sided with the conservatives on 14 of the last 14 votes. is that true? If so, he's not really that much of a swing voter. It also suggests that this doesn't truly tip the balance of the court.
This is true and I was having this conversation yesterday. Kennedy is no hippie and anybody who thinks so hasn't been paying attention. This dismay from the left, or, at least from me, comes in the form of panicky, sick to the stomach, LULZ at this statement:

Since this is the supreme court, most people have to be qualified (unlike the rest of trump's nominations ie pruit et al), and gorsuch was not a bad choice. There could have been so many other, actually evil people that he could have picked. I pray, and it seems likely in a normal functioning world (this dark timeline notwithstanding), that a qualified judge will be have to be selected regardless of trump's insanity.
What, during the 2.5 lifetimes of the trump administration thus far makes you think that any sort of cultural/political norm will be adhered to with Kennedy's replacement? If rules/law/norms meant anything anymore Gorsuch wouldn't be on the fucking supreme court at all. With this congress, Sean Hannity could be the newest supreme court justice by Monday. Lets not kid ourselves by pretending that this is the one time Trump might make a rational choice and that it won't be rubber stamped by a republican majority.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Just for sake of conversation, what do you guys think should happen if a SC judge is nominated by DT, but then he's ultimately removed from the throne for any manner of crime, collusion, etc. related to getting in office in the first place?
They should all be removed from office the second a sentence is handed down. Willing participant or not. How that shakes out legally, who knows?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What, during the 2.5 lifetimes of the trump administration thus far makes you think that any sort of cultural/political norm will be adhered to with Kennedy's replacement? If rules/law/norms meant anything anymore Gorsuch wouldn't be on the fucking supreme court at all. With this congress, Sean Hannity be the newest supreme court justice by Monday. Lets not kid ourselves by pretending that this is the one time Trump might make a rational choice and that it won't be rubber stamped by a republican majority.
just trying to think positive. trumper could have done a lot worse than gorsuch, he didn't.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
over under on ginsberg saying fuck it and retiring or throwing herself off the top of the capitol building?

1 year.....6 months....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Really disappointed that Kennedy won't hang on a little longer, particularly since he's been a somewhat moderate swing voter. Perhaps the party finally called in the favor Kennedy owed from getting appointed in the first place.

One of my defense mechanisms has been a thin delusion that Trump's position is only temporary and most of his dumb shit can be unwound, but this is truly scary, with ramifications that go far beyond the current administration.
I love the part where Kennedy's son did a shit ton of banking for Trumps real estate deals. Its a giant circle jerk.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/anthony-kennedy-son-loaned-president-trump-over-a-billion-dollars-2018-6
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/06/donald-trump-justice-anthony-kennedy-retirement

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/us/politics/trump-anthony-kennedy-retirement.html

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Well.....There you go

The Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to hear a case in the fall to consider whether the double jeopardy clause of the Fifth Amendment bars states and the federal government from separately trying the same person for the same criminal offense.
<snip>
"Current precedent allows such prosecutions by 'separate sovereigns.' If the court overrules its prior precedent, it could make it more difficult for a state to try someone who has been pardoned by the federal government if trial proceedings had already begun for the federal offense," said Stephen Vladeck, CNN's Supreme Court analyst and a law professor at the University of Texas School of Law.
Trump's next judge and newer/more "conservative" court will rule against separate prosecutions, Trump then pardons Cohen, himself, etc.... No state level prosecutions will be possible.

:tinfoil:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What are we protesting today, gravity?
The DH forum will not be amused.