Quantcast

Kenter Whoop access in jeopardy

superstock

Chimp
Aug 12, 2002
Redondo Beach, Ca
I met this couple at a fundraising event a couple weeks ago who are very actively trying to keep the Kenter whoop trail open to the public. He is an attorney and is donating his time towards fighting this BEFORE it takes huge funds to fight in court. They need the public to sign a petition and make a nominal donation so they can avoid paying for expenses out of pocket.

Go to his website for a form letter and donation info:

http://www.canyonback.org/

Please support this, it would be a shame to lose access to this area!

S

superstock

Chimp
Aug 12, 2002
Redondo Beach, Ca
fiddy_ryder said:
whoops access doesnt appear to be affected by this. still got the other entrance on the south end of the trail
If you want to access it from the Valley (north) side, then it does.

Also, you won't be able to link rides together to the rest of the SM mountains if they close down the Mountaingate area.

S

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
ive never met anyone out there that gets to the whoops from the north end... it does suck if they try and shut this access down out there though.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
I usually ride in & out through Mountain Gate. The problem is that they want to use the service road up from Mountain Gate which leads right to the start of the whoops (the wall) as a street for a new development that they want to put up. That shuts off access from the Valley side. It would also put houses right at the doorsteps of the whoops and it will only be a matter of time before they creep down there too. Think of the views from Kenter - you are in a canyon with a view of the ocean. That is probably the most expensive real estate in all of LA.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
I recently read in the paper that the Mountain Gate to Kenter fireroad will actually become a street, but that the developers will be building bikers & hikers a new trail to get from the Valley into Kenter.

I already saw an excavator up there a few weeks ago. Everyday I have been up there for the last 2 weeks, I have seen the surveyors doing their thing on the street and up the fireroad.

Yesterday there were chalk marks all the way down the Whoops run every few feet. Not sure whether they were tripod marks for the Surveyors or the Red Bull video guys (who, by the way, dug up into the canyon jump take-off and landing for their rail and didn't repair it - thanks a lot!!).

tgreathead and I were up there yesterday messing around with the camcorder:

The new street will supposedly come right up to the wall were this vid begins.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
redical said:
Yesterday there were chalk marks all the way down the Whoops run every few feet. Not sure whether they were tripod marks for the Surveyors or the Red Bull video guys (who, by the way, dug up into the canyon jump take-off and landing for their rail and didn't repair it - thanks a lot!!).

tgreathead and I were up there yesterday messing around with the camcorder:

so those are the bastards that fuked up the gap... you dont happen to know if these guys will ever show up again up there do you? a couple of guys were thoroughly pissed about what happened... :redhot:

ill be up there friday afternoon evening.. and probably saturday morning. gonna lay some carpet for some lips and landers

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
Yup. They were shooting the dreadlocked dude that rides up there with his dirt board (he wears the redbull skate lid). I have seen him there many times & he seems cool.

They had a 2 camera crew with a lady (stylist?), producer and 1 or 2 more Production Assitants. They have shot up there before and never seemed to do any damage or get in the way. They never interfered with my riding and I made sure to take plenty of runs through the doubles to "test" the waters. They always smiled & waved and behaved.

I saw the metal redbull rail system inserted into the canyon jumps, but knowing that the boarder always ride there, I figured they would do the diplomatic thing and fill in the holes when they were done shooting.

I knew they weren't leaving the rail in place as it looked like an expensive, hand-machined sheet of alloy with the pipe railing on top. It definitely looked like it was manufacterured & installed by redbull as their logo was machined or lazered cut into the alloy

I am a film director myself. And don't like acting like a trail nazi, so I did not give them grief over it at that time. I honestly did not think they would be dumb enough to leave damage on the trail when we all know that REDBULL, a product that is supposed to cater to sports like ours, was financing the shoot.

I was honestly shocked to see that the holes are still there. A few "concerned" phone calls or emails to REDBULL from the extreme sport world of mountain bikers would probably get that damaged fixed.

Responsible, professional filmmakers always follow the credo of leaving a shoot location in BETTER shape than how you found it. I guess these guys skipped film school on the day that lesson was taught.

The boarder seems like a nice guy, but he really should have known better.