Quantcast

Keough sprints to 2nd in Charlotte.

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Charlotte, NC – Jake Keough of the UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team Presented by Maxxis came through a chaotic sprint finish to take 2nd behind Jonthan Cantwell (V Australia) at the Presbyterian Hospital Invitational in Charlotte, N.C. last night.</p><p>
</p><p>
Keough was part of a move that formed after one last reshuffling of a break that had been up the road for much of the night, but was in near constant flux.</p><p>
</p><p>
With 12 laps to go, Keough’s teammates Jonny Clarke, Brad White and Matt Crane were up in a group of 15 riders that was holding a 0:25 lead on the main bunch.</p><p>
</p><p>
“Hilton (Clarke) and I looked at each other and he said ‘one o f us should be up there,’” Keough said. </p><p>
</p><p>
Keough made the jump, going the same time as Luis Amaran (Jamis-Sutter Home), and taking several other riders up there to the front group, which swelled to 22.</p><p>
</p><p>
“When we got up there, Jonny was off the front,” Keough said, “so I sat on a bit. Jonny had been in the break most of the day along with Karl (Menzies). Those guys rode great all day.”</p><p>
</p><p>
In one of the re-shuffles, Menzies came back to the peloton and White and Crane made there way up to the move. Coming into the final couple laps, Crane had already put in a lot of work on the front, and White was feeling some of the effects of an early-race crash that sent him hard to the tarmac. Jonny Clarke had spent most of the race working in the break, but still tried to help maneuver Keough into position for the last lap.</p><p>
</p><p>
Bissell, with three riders in the move, tried to take control on the last lap. Keough was w ell positioned behind Jonathan Cantwell (V Australia), who was sitting on his teammate Alessandro Bazzana’s wheel.</p><p>
</p><p>
“The last corner is a 90-degree turn and then slightly uphill,” Keough said. “I was on Cantwell and those guys got up to the Bissell guys doing their lead-out. I picked my spot to go but ran into traffic. Bazzana did a good job getting Cantwell through the traffic. By the time I got through everyone, we were only 100 meters or so from the line before I could get a good run at the sprint. </p><p>
</p><p>
“It would’ve been great to get the top step,” Keough continued. “And if it had been a normal sprint where we have Hilton, Karl and me all lined up on the front coming out of the last turn it might have a been a bit different. But Cantwell is going very well right now. We got across the line and shook hands.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Now Keough can to look ahead one week to the USPro Criterium Championships in Glencoe , IL, where he’ll be one of the favorites to take the champion’s jersey. “That’s been a goal of mine the second half of the season,” he said. “I’m definitely looking forward to it. The course is quite different from Downers Grove. It’s close to 2 km long, and maybe a bit more like a Belgian kermesse course. But it should be a great race.”</p>

More...