Quantcast

Kernville trails

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'd post this in the XC section, but nobody looks there.

Headed to Kern for some riding and river floating next weekend, but it looks like the river is flowing too fast for drunk tubing, so I guess more riding is the answer.

Question is, has anybody ridden Just Outstanding and Waggy recently? I have a few pretty green riders going with us, and don't want to lead them down anything to sketch. J/O was a super fun cruise last summer, but Waggy was a rut-fest, fun, but really challenging for the newbies with us.

What about Cannell? I've never ridden it, how noob friendly is it?

We usually do J/O and Waggy early AM and head back to camp just about late breakfast time, anybody have a good suggestion for an afternoon ride? Mild XC would be preferable, mild XC with techy fun side-trails for the less green riders amongst us would be ideal.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Kern Lived up to its rep last weekend. Its flowing like a class 5 river. no tubing unless you want to die. Can't help you on the trails

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-kern-river-dead-20170529-htmlstory.html

Over the Memorial Day weekend, its reputation was confirmed.

Three people died and 24 were rescued in multiple incidents along the river, about three hours north of Los Angeles. Five more were rescued from other nearby rivers.

Ten people have died in Kern and Tulare county rivers this year. And officials say they fear the death toll could climb in the coming summer months, as chilly snow melt fuels the river water.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'd post this in the XC section, but nobody looks there.

Headed to Kern for some riding and river floating next weekend, but it looks like the river is flowing too fast for drunk tubing, so I guess more riding is the answer.

Question is, has anybody ridden Just Outstanding and Waggy recently? I have a few pretty green riders going with us, and don't want to lead them down anything to sketch. J/O was a super fun cruise last summer, but Waggy was a rut-fest, fun, but really challenging for the newbies with us.

What about Cannell? I've never ridden it, how noob friendly is it?

We usually do J/O and Waggy early AM and head back to camp just about late breakfast time, anybody have a good suggestion for an afternoon ride? Mild XC would be preferable, mild XC with techy fun side-trails for the less green riders amongst us would be ideal.
Cannell isn't SUPER technical, but it does have some extended sections where you are literally riding on loose baby-head rocks for a half mile at a time. I'd say if they have any trouble with JO, then Cannell would be about the same.