Quantcast

Kettle Fest 09

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

Thanks to MTBR, Niner Bikes, MSC Bikes, Joyride Cycles and especially New Belgium Beer for stepping up and helping make the Fest an enjoyable event.

Midnight Ridge descenders gather around the cold frosty one discussing worthy descents with big pine, wildflower, and frolicking badgers.

Of course before making camp we had to take advantage of all the finer amenities of the local community. Mike and Julie in their attempt to blend in with the sleepy town of Republic.

Alright it wasn't all silliness, we are here for some serious riding aren't we?
Deb representing SWIMBA navigating a switchback on Hoodoo Canyon Trail.

Uhm.. Ok well maybe it was all about silliness...
The girls hangin at the canyon overlook.

Some rippin singletrack, as Peter glides down doing that Hoodoo that he do.

Hail and rain fell from the sky and down from the mountain appeared the Mountainous Mud Monsters. SCARY!!!! Nobody could sleep that night for fear of their return.

Ok time to roll up the sleeves. Old Stage Coach Trail #1 was Washington States first highway. After a few years it was abandoned for being too steep and the route that is currently Highway 20 Sherman Pass was built. It's a very popular route and we all were happy to volunteer a day to the cause.

Caution: Mountain Biker Workers Ahead

Thanks to Dave Lent of the Republic Ranger Office of the Colville National Forest. Giving some direction as we prepare to "do work".

The trail suffers greatly as springs run directly out onto many sections of trail. The constant slow seepage creates long mucky stretches of tread that was not holding up well to boot, hoof, or wheel. But we were ready and prepared to take on the challenge.

We dug hundreds of feet of trench capturing the water and diverting it off the trail. In this stretch we harvested some rock and created some stone culverts.

We also reestablished old drainage, and reinforced many catch basins with stone and soil. Time and heavy use had caught up to many many sections of trail and we helped restore over a dozen sections. Pictured here is the lower side of an extremely long wet section.

Here we re-established drainage and higher up the trail we dug new trench, as well as using rock to retain and build up the tread. Looks a little mucky in these pics but rest assured it won't take long to dry and pack down like cement.

Seriously we put the hammer down, i was so proud of all the hard work from so many experienced hands from across the region. i have tons of pictures, but chose only a few to showcase. After coming off the Crest, i asked Dave Lent how we did. His response "You brought the thunder!".

Peter P and Len representing EMBA ride past the new sign we posted. Somehow i got the impression that something was pertinent on Peter's mind. Perhaps it was the riding that approaching us for the coming weekend?

First things first, Deb had her revenge on her mans horrid shirt. Mikes shirt had been through many a work party but it was fell victim to this strange Idaho ritual in some strange reverence to the bikey gods, as David and Grant discuss if Fredrika's camp chair should be next in line for campfire sacrifice...
The whole thing kinda weirded me out, but i'm sure Hank the Horse would have surely approved.

Oh yah we were here to ride too! Walt enjoying a splendid climb up Kettle Crest North with Sherman Peak in the background.

Mark representing FTTRC spinning beside a rock outcrop. Spokane riders were well represented this year and outnumbered everyone for the final day.

Special props to Al, for really helping us take the Fest to a higher level. You Idaho folk are good peoples!

Rider young and old, intermediate to advanced, husband, wife, father, son, came out for the challenge of the trail. To witness the beauty of one of Washington States premier backcountry riding areas. To congregate and reflect, and to discuss new visions towards advocacy and stewardship. And to rejoice in creating fond memories...

And to dream of rides of tomorrow as adventure lies just beyond the next set of hills in the distance. Next year we do it again my friends.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome as always
New and improved AWESOME, now in all-caps, and double the awe.;)

When will Splat come over for a Fest? i'm in the early stages of helping to create one for Mt. St. Helens....?

If Splat makes a Fest out here does that mean that Skookum has to fly out East for a Monkeyfest?:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
New and improved AWESOME, now in all-caps, and double the awe.;)

When will Splat come over for a Fest? i'm in the early stages of helping to create one for Mt. St. Helens....?

If Splat makes a Fest out here does that mean that Skookum has to fly out East for a Monkeyfest?:)
Make St. Helens Fest sometime during the week of September 7 please. Pretty please.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Make St. Helens Fest sometime during the week of September 7 please. Pretty please.
2010 these things take time to plan, but actually that is around the time it probably would go down.

If you're going to be up here around that time and want someone to ride with down there, or just all the good routes, either/or drop me a pm, i'll get you dialed oh Milky one.