Quantcast

Key stuck in U-lock

Hi all,

I have a Trek U-lock (says it's made "by kryptonite") that has developed a nasty habit.

Every once in a while, when you put the key in the lock it will get stuck and, though still keeping about 90% of its turning range, it won't come out unless you spray WD40* or similar on the lock and turn the key back and forth several times.

Doesn't seem to make a difference if you close the lock "empty" or with the U-rod, if you turn the key fast or slow, or if you push/pull the key while doing so. Only the WD40 seems to make a difference. Since the lock seems made of thin metal sheets, and the grooves on the key are quite sharp, I don't know if a touch of flint paper on it would help or make things worse.

So, is there a way to solve the problem, or it's time for a new U-lock? Any idea of what is causing this mess (worn out/loose lock, perhaps)?

* I've read I should have used graphite powder... but when you're in a hurry a spray works better.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
WD40 is not lube. It is a solvent and water displacement agent (hence the WD).
It will only remove the necessary lubrication. Try squirting some 3-in-1 oil into the works. Chain lube does a good job of getting into lock mechanisms if you've got some of that handy.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
You can also squirt in some dry graphite. Its the best stuff for locks and such. Its also useful for lifting fingerprints. $1-$3 at most hardware stores or automotive supply stores.

I know WD-40 isn't a lubricant. I used it because I was in a hurry and I had nothing else, and it does a good job of cleaning small debris or small rust spots.

Following your advice, I used light chain oil on the lock, and it makes no difference. The key worked a couple of tries, and then got stuck again. As before, it *almost* makes the whole turn, and I'm not able to feel anything weird while it does so (like scratching noises or resistance).