Quantcast

Keyesville Classic?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
How many of you guys have raced this? The organizers describe it as a rocky gorge and then lots of pedaling on a jeep trail, but what is the course really like? Can you compare it to any other races?

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
i did keyesville last year. new organizers this year, so hopefully it'll run more smoothly than '05. check it out, because they made it seem like this year you have to ride up to the start (shouldn't be fun on a dh bike).

last year the shuttle never showed up on race day so we had to do it ourselves and a lot of people's trucks got scratched up.

the course was fun but kind of like fontana...pedaling!

i would go to ssfta.com (i think that's the website) and read about it before you go.

sure was a beautiful venue, though.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Last year it was a steep start into a soft right hand berm, then a half mile pinning down a large semi-rocky rut, then a half mile of rolling fire road... then a funny right hander across the finish line. Two run format. Paid cash to experts and up. Raffled off a ton of cross country swag to the DH'ers and vice versa. There's also an alternate course that can be run. Unfortunatly, it took the life of a fellow rider a few years back. My only complaint is that they made us pay our NORBA dues and then never reported the results.... or mailed the trophys.... Good camp/boozin in the back woods though.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
manwithgun said:
Last year it was a steep start into a soft right hand berm, then a half mile pinning down a large semi-rocky rut, then a half mile of rolling fire road... then a funny right hander across the finish line. Two run format. Paid cash to experts and up. Raffled off a ton of cross country swag to the DH'ers and vice versa. There's also an alternate course that can be run. Unfortunatly, it took the life of a fellow rider a few years back. My only complaint is that they made us pay our NORBA dues and then never reported the results.... or mailed the trophys.... Good camp/boozin in the back woods though.
I was there the day we lost Jake, a very sad day. I almost ran him over in practice that morning. He was standing in the middle of the trail as I came down the part that he later jumped. I'll never forget the look on his face as he jumped out of the way at the last second.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
^ Agree. Its a good opening season race with Prizes, possible $ payback and good places to camp, snack, drink. Watching those Trials riders is pretty cool too if you haven't seen it before.

Big DH bike was almost over kill on last years course. I don't know about the Alternate route for the DH though. Fast rolling tires would be key.

Pic is from top of course. dirt varies from loose over hardpack to sandy in spots.

check out the website for some more pics:
http://www.ssfta.com/

Attachments

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That stuff looks fun. In 9th grade in a private high school, we went on kayak trips to the kern there. I wish I had my bike with me. All those boulders and stuff look fun.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
for those of you who have been there before? is it worth it to drive out there if its gonna be raining for the race? there is no shuttle, so hiking in the mud doesnt seem too appealing