Quantcast

Keystone vs Whiteface

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've been thinking about places to go ride this summer and was wondering what you guys thought of these resorts.

I went to keystone last year and had a blast and Whiteface looks awesome from the pics in the latest DECLINE. They're the same distance from me so that's not a concern.

What do you guys think of the resorts and if you had the choice, which one would you go to for a week?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
...guess I should mention that my friends and I will be going to ride downhill and I'd like to hear about any other resorts within a few hours of each if you think that they are better or definitely worth a ride.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Whiteface.

There is some great XC, the scene is chill, the country is beautiful, and there are plenty of other riding opportunities close by.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Whiteface.

There is some great XC, the scene is chill, the country is beautiful, and there are plenty of other riding opportunities close by.
That's good to hear. Is it more like Showshoe? As much as I like riding Diablo, the Showshoe vibe is just so much better.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Only been to Keystone & had a blast. Almost killed myself....twice, but we had a blast.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would recommend Whiteface too, although I have never ridden Keystone. The town of Lake Placid is a very cool place to hang out in, the riding is great and very challenging at Whiteface and there are plenty of other places to hit up in the area as well (Mt. Snow, Killington, Jiminy Peak, Diablo, Plattekill, Windham, and the list goes on).

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Never ridden Whiteface but I'll agree that that area is rad. Beautiful place.

However, I can say w/ confidence that Keystone is bitchin' and has stepped up considerably in the last few years. Tons of vertical too. Keep in mind that out here, you also have two other places w/ lift access in the area (Sol Vista, Winter Park) and it's relatively close to Fruita, Grand Junction and Moab that also have good FR type riding.

Hope that helps. Good luck holmes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't know keystone, but whiteface is really pretty awesome. Triple the length of a plattekill run and maybe quadrupel diablo...you will be dying by the bottom if you aren't prepared.

Downhill Mike is chill and may let you camp at his place if you ask nicely. We had a great time last year and I'm looking forward to spending some serious time there next year.

If you're heading up from alabama, you could make a mega road trip. Stop at snowshoe, diablo, plattekill, whiteface, bromont, killington, jiminy, then back down...or go for the gusto and include attitash and highland. Bromont isn't too far from whiteface (i think 2 hours) and the riding there is killer, some of the best on the east coast. It isn't as long as whiteface but the trails are a little better.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I have heard the Keystone terrain is similar to Whiteface's?
I used to work at Keystone years ago and Keystone is def. more of a resort and Whiteface is more of a ski area. Lake PLacid is 10 minutes from the mountain and is the bigger (more touristy) town than Wilmington, N.Y where Whiteface is located. Tons of camping, lodging and places to party.
We have a bike and stay package that was only $59.00 per night last year including your lift ticket.
Since Whiteface is open 7 days a week maybe hit us up mid week?
3.5 hours from PLattekill, 4.5 hours form Diablo and I think 2 hours from Bromont. I hear Bromont is killer.
Whiteface will be the only big mountain choice. The article says 8 minute dh runs. That is the pace of a pro racing. The pace for the sport/expert rider, riding with his friends is more like 20 to 30 minutes per run.
Our web site has been changing daily so check out www.downhillmike.com for all your Downhill info for Whiteface Mountain Bike Park.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
As Treesaw said, if you go to Whiteface you will not only have that awesome huge,steep and beautiful mountain, but you will have many, many more in the area. WF is also open 7 days a week starting 6/20, I believe? That right, Mikey?

Other mountains within reach are: Mt. Snow, Bromont (CA), Jiminy Peak, Plattekill, Hunter, maybe Windham, Highland, Attitash, Diablo, Killington, Bolton Valley and probably a few more that I'm forgetting. We are not lacking in lift service in the northeast!

...and WTF Mike, no Rainbow Bus this year?!?!?!?! :plthumbsdown:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Keystone=25 min. runs:thumb:
same with whiteface. i've been to both, and terrain wise, they're about on par (difficulty and variety wise, other than the east coast vs west coast difference). granted i was at Keystone 4 years ago, and since then there have been great improvements. you'll have a blast at either. from what it sounds like you are doing, i'd head to whiteface, there are more riding options along the way - not just other places to dh, but skate parks / street spots to ride if you're into that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
killington has long runs also but not as long was white face nor is it as rugged
Killington is lame. Not nearly as technical as Whiteface, shorter runs, and you always end up taking some crap connecting trails to get to somthing moderatly intersting.

Whiteface is great. Havn't been to Keystone, but if you're looking for some awesome natural, technical DH, the Face is your ticket.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Mike,
Any plans for an opening day fest like last year?
* Opening day will be Friday June 20th.
* Hcor Day on Saturday June 21st. Hcor Day will consist of discounted lift tickets for Saturday, free bike films at the Lake Placid Performing Arts Center and a after dh party (after the films) at my cabin with free beverages and live music.
* Sunday will be business as usual.
* Monday June 23rd we will have Quebec Day. St. Jean Baptist day is a day off for Quebec residents so we will offer some kind of special discount for Monday and have a full and long weekend of riding and events.
Thats the plan so far.
Our pump track will be ready by then too.

..and WTF Mike, no Rainbow Bus this year?!?!?!?!

Sorry about the rainbow Jim. It's still a short bus though. As Decline would say we are down to 1 strike now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Killington is lame. Not nearly as technical as Whiteface, shorter runs, and you always end up taking some crap connecting trails to get to somthing moderatly intersting.

Whiteface is great. Havn't been to Keystone, but if you're looking for some awesome natural, technical DH, the Face is your ticket.
thank God somebody agrees with me...it seems like anytime I bring up Killington and how it just isn't well thought out, I get poo-pooed by somebody who wants it to be better than it is. There was very little that you couldn't ride there on a 5" bike, and for the most part you'd be way better off with a 5" XC/all mountain bike. There are two, maybe 2.5 trails that go DOWN the mountain, where you'd actually need decent suspension and brakes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
thank God somebody agrees with me...it seems like anytime I bring up Killington and how it just isn't well thought out, I get poo-pooed by somebody who wants it to be better than it is. There was very little that you couldn't ride there on a 5" bike, and for the most part you'd be way better off with a 5" XC/all mountain bike. There are two, maybe 2.5 trails that go DOWN the mountain, where you'd actually need decent suspension and brakes.
I rode Killington on a 5x5 bike, with 160mm rotored Avid BB7s. That was more than enough bike. I rode everything there.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
This may be a null and void discussion... Keystone is building a new gondola starting this summer, and the scuttlebutt is that lift serviced mountain biking is gonna be pretty hard to be had. Before you make final plans, I would call Keystone in a couple months and find out what the story on the lifts are this summer... they've already cancelled the big race they hold there each year. The whole thing, not just the DH.