Quantcast

KHE Geisha Mtn. hub...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Hey all,

I'm gettin' my bike ready for spring... I just ordered in a KHE Geisha in the 135mm spacing... The little I've heard of them, they seem sick, so I bit my lip and went on a limb to order one. I guess why I'm posting is to get some feedback from someone who may actually ride one? To the best of my knowledge, the only diff. between the mtn and bmx versions would be the spacing? So whoever's ripping a geisha, I'd appreciate any feedback you've got.

Thanks,
A Grove

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
I don't ride a geisha yet but I will be riding one of these soon.

I have a MTB spaced rear, but I have 14 mm BMX axles. KHE makes 14mm adapter's for their 135mm Geisha hub... so I'll be picking a hub and those up ASAP.

I've been holding off for a while on buying one because I wasn't sure if my next bike will have a 110 or 135 MM rear spacing. I can't wait any longer though.

What color did you get? Also - what rim do you plan to lace it to?

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I've only ridden a bmx version but didn't care for the feel of a coaster. The slack through me off. I'm coasting and then need to throw a couple more pedals the slack gives. Feels too weird for me.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I don't ride a geisha yet but I will be riding one of these soon.

I have a MTB spaced rear, but I have 14 mm BMX axles. KHE makes 14mm adapter's for their 135mm Geisha hub... so I'll be picking a hub and those up ASAP.

I've been holding off for a while on buying one because I wasn't sure if my next bike will have a 110 or 135 MM rear spacing. I can't wait any longer though.

What color did you get? Also - what rim do you plan to lace it to?
Well.. The hub I ordered has 3/8 axles w/ the internal 20mm shell. Gold hubshell.. looks sweet, and Sounds pretty deisel to me. Money was tight... I get shop discounts, but I had to order a hub, rim, and two tires for under 175 :shocked:

I ended up getting the geisha, a sun single track (...mind you, I stuck with a cheap rim because I want to learn spins and 180's to fakie, thus, my rear wheel is going to get thrashed, once I get a bit smoother, A set of pimps or GI's will find their way onto my bike...) and a rear kiniption, and a front motodigger. Mind you.. money was holding me back from getting tabletops or SB8's...

I've only ridden a bmx version but didn't care for the feel of a coaster. The slack through me off. I'm coasting and then need to throw a couple more pedals the slack gives. Feels too weird for me.
There is a washer kit that you can buy that allows you to "tune" how much slack there is. I figured that at a employee price, I could get the hub, ride it and see if I like it (I'm told freecoasters are a love/hate relationship...) and if I decide I don't like it... I ought to be able to at least break even on ebay or on the classifieds.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
if I decide I don't like it... I ought to be able to at least break even on ebay or on the classifieds.
good luck with that one!
...remember how long Dexter was trying to unload his Geisha disc on these forums for!? and at some pretty good deals if I remember correctly.

Those are some super high maintenace hubs... even the more stout new Reverse version with the solid axle has been seeing reliability problems.

not my thing really. I can't ride fakie at 50mph anyway, so I don't think freecoasters apply to my riding unfortunately... the play would jack my knees.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
i think geishas can be hit or miss. you hear a lot of guys online saying "oh i broke mine in a month" but everyone i know that has had one seems to be happy with them. you just need to make sure you know how it works so you can maintain it. i actually got a geisha laced to big city lite for 20 bucks from a friend, just needs a new axle i believe.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have switched back to my freecoaster wheel for a bit since i trashed my other rim. still trying to sell it. its not the disc its bmx spaced on a rhino. i did have fun back at the woodward park in denver 180'ing this BIG box in the skills section at 100mph and rolling it back another 20-25 ft and backin up a box in reverse. only got it a handful of times but felt and looked ILL

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
i think geishas can be hit or miss. you hear a lot of guys online saying "oh i broke mine in a month" but everyone i know that has had one seems to be happy with them. you just need to make sure you know how it works so you can maintain it. i actually got a geisha laced to big city lite for 20 bucks from a friend, just needs a new axle i believe.

Well.. at that, does anyone know if there is a vid. somewhere that has the take-down of a geisha?

I've only been on these forums for a few weeks now, I wasn't aware of dexture and his issues w/ the Geisha??

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
there is a good breakdown of one on you tube. just search for freecoaster. there are also some amazing videos

i just got mine all laced up and rode one day. it was hard cause i had the gap (when it engages) really fast. it kicked in alot while trying to roll back. plus my bike was all funky cause i switched to 24's and lowered my fork and i had 1.85 tires on til i get my tabletops in.
the delay was a little weird when pedalling. it won't be hard to get used to though.
also taking them apart is a pain. i took all of the spacers out and it took a while. when it says to hit the thing with a rubber mallet. it means hit it with a rubber mallet. i pounded on that thing.

it seems like it will be fun. sadly i won't be able to try it out for a while cause of the snow.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I bought one that was 'trashed' for $10 (bmx version). It was a little marred up inside because it was set up with no spacers inside [If I understand correctly the new ones are made to accommodate that]. Anyways, with a little TLC I had it working like new in about an hour.

I've ridden a freecoaster or two before and I have to say I'm really pleased with this one. I set it up right and it's been problem free since. Dexter had it right. It'll take some figuring out at first, but it's a solid product.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have one taken mine apart once to set max slack.

rock solid still.

my fave trick is doing like a rollback across overpass enbankment
to 180 out.

that and fast 180's

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
i have one taken mine apart once to set max slack.

rock solid still.

my fave trick is doing like a rollback across overpass enbankment
to 180 out.

that and fast 180's
I love nasty 180's... long fast ones. I cant keep up with some of them back-pedaling.. and I've always wanted to run a freecoaster, so this was a good opporotunity to pick one up considering I had some floating Xmass cash.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Sorry To Spam But If Anyone Wants Or Needs A Full 24 Rear Wheel W/ Freecoaster Let Me Know. I Have Been Sitting On It Forever, The Entire Thing Has Been Babied And Is In Perfect Condition W/ Both Drivers!!

spider13

Chimp
Jan 2, 2007
I was wondering what rear gearing you can put on the New Geisha MTB free coaster (135 mm spacing) because 11 is to small and i would want to run like a 16 tooth on the rear. Is this possible?