Quantcast

khe hollow halflink chains

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
are pretty terrible. mine was mounted a little over a month and it blew up already. i never really liked half link chains before but i needed a new chain and figured i give one a try. safe to say ill never get one again. my gearing isn't too small for 24's, a 10T driver ain't that bad. all chains can break but my friends and i have had terrible luck w/ them. kmc, shadow, khe all broke early on. now i'm seeing this mechanik halflink with almost no side plates?? i'm truly scared of that thing. where is mechanik based out of?? a buddy of mine mentioned they could be a german co...

anywho, i'm going back to a 710sl with 1 halflink again. had this setup for years. maybe ill even get the superstar halflink just to be safe.

anyone else had a good or bad experience with these chains?

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I had bad luck with the reg half links so I steered clear of the hollow half links. Really anything hollow on the chain scares me cuz I grind a lot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I heard the version of the shadow chain was far better than the original.... still isn't saying much about its actual performance.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
KMC 410H <---burly
I buy a new one every couple of months.
Eventually you get a free one from the extra links. (25/8 w/13.75" CS)
:D

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I run a shadow on both my 20" and 24", both are doing fine. I had a buddy snap his right out of the box which resulted in a broken hand, but I think that might have had to do with his installation techniques.

410's seem to break pretty easy in my history, but the 710 is always a good choice.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I've had a few of the 410s and been able to make them last a really long time. probably like 6 months or so. I had a shadow before and put it on fine and it still exploded, although after I repaired it with extra links it did last a good while longer.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
There's a BIG difference between the regular 410 and the 410H.
The H chain is quite a bit thicker and stronger.
You want truly bombproof chains, check out Wippermann's 1G8.... (3300 lbs breaking load)

# Heavy duty straight link plates for BMX grinding
# Nickel-plated inner/outer links and rollers available in 4 colors
# 650g @ 95 links :D

Last edited:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea I've been thinking about going wipperman but my lbs doesn't carry and I haven't seen em on Dans or Albes. I guess you can call me lazy but I'm not game on looking any deeper. I don't understand why wipperman isn't more avail if they're that good. I saw they primarily make chains for other types of riding so it's somewhat understandable.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
but I think that might have had to do with his installation techniques.
That's the key right there, especially with half links. I've had a shadow half link on my 2six for a year and a half with no problems. You just have to make sure you use the master pin and don't use a damaged pin or link.

I did have problems using a cheap half link on a regular chain. I switched up to the superstar half link and have been good since then.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
It typically is obvious what the problem is when the chain fails. If the pin is just pulled out, well, its your deal, if a plate is shorn in half, well, I would put that on the chain.

When those 410h's came out a while ago we were pretty excited about them, but we would go through the chains every month or so and we weren't doing THAT much grinding or sprocket stuff. When I switched to the 710 it never failed. The Shadows have been good thus far, but I don't grind or sprocket things as much.

My buddy snapped a regular 410 pedaling at our new DJs the other day. They are a good size and need a fair amount of speed, not to mention the run is actually a paved path. He took it SOOO hard. Snapping chains sucks.