Quantcast

KHS Gravity Open - UCI - ProGrt #2 - Plattekill Bike Park, NY

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Liked justin's vid and thought that track looked familiar, ie 2008 juniors world qualifiers.

I have some 'B' footage that I compiled a year ago. Would have shared it with laz and the crew earlier, but it really didn't turn out as good as I liked. Don't know what I saved it for, but this seems like a good place to put it.

Anyway, it's red-left-eye/cyan-right-eye anaglyph format. As I mentioned, I'm not proud of the shooting or composition, but it will give you nice technical view of the course and the 3D will show better separation and inclinations.

Untitled on Vimeo

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
woah i just happen to have some 3D glasses in the truck, wonder if they are the right style for this video.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
wow wish i had some glasses and i do remember you being there w/ that wild camrea.. 3 lenses right?

free glasses here:
http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/free-3d-glasses.html

3D is simply moxing two different perspectives, the key is to do it in a way that the two separate views are pleasing to your brain's interpretation. I have a better description and links here:

http://www.spinteck.com/about3d.html

My choiceof anaglyph is Red-left-eye/cyan-right-eye. The best 3D is full color, either polarized (reald D or imax) or shutter glasses (new tv's and Nvidea 3D) In fact, there will be a screening of a segement of my next project in LA, here:

http://www.downtownindependent.com/events/the-7th-annual-los-angeles-3d

Cheers!

Nat

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
you are doing all your 3D work PP right? since the first consumer 3D just got released not too long ago

I can't derail this thread any more than I have or I will suffer the wrath of voodoo and the crew.

Shoot me an email or start a thread under my vid and I can answer all your 3D questions.

Good luck to those who are racing this course- I loved it two years ago. Something for the pedalers, the rock bashers, the steep shoot enthusiasts and parking lot partiers!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
nah, thats okay. i know enough about 3D to know my industry is stupid for pushing it. again

and what "crew" are you talking about?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Okay, I'll bite;)

Stupid for pushing again?? Please clarify- I assume you mean from the anaglyph days of the 80's, when polarized theaters were too complicated/less cost effective to run full color stereoscopic 3D because it required two projectors perfectly synchronized and aligned. Except for IMax, which does use two projectors with linear polarization. Everyone agrees anaglyphs are poor quality, but easy and cheap to get to the masses. THe biggest problem with gyphs are the retinal rivalry depending on your color gels. Real D really changed the cost effectiveness by suppling a polarizing LCD for a single projector. Of course you may mean the 3D from the 50's or even earlier days, but 3D (3D composition, not stereoscopic) animation wasn't even utilized in earlier 3D pushes, so I know my kids like the 3D cartoons much more.

When you inquire I'm doing all my work in PP, what anacronym does that stand for??

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Okay, I'll bite;)

Stupid for pushing again?? Please clarify-

When you inquire I'm doing all my work in PP, what anacronym does that stand for??
the company i previously worked for as well as other companies have been working on 3D sets for years and are now just seeing the light of day to the general public. obviously 3D has been around for over 70+ years, but products are now more viable for the general masses.

PP-post processing.

derail over....btw, 3D is stupid for the consumers in their home in today's market.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Okay, wasn't sure if it meant premier pro or passive polarized (which is only a viewing method for those who don't know, yet are bored enough to read this thread) I film true stereoscopic 3D, which is two cameras synchronized, level and 90% of the time parallel. Sets requireing close shots will probably use a beam splitter and lots of lighting.

In my post I mox/mesh/slide my frames and adjust my parallax (what I want to sit in the back and front of the screen,or postive and negative parallax in the Z plane). I could do this in real time with bulky equipment, but not real practical in our sport. 3D conversions are common, but are not true 3D and are frowned upon by almost all stereographers, so that is not the post that I do. Titans and alice were conversations, but caroline, x games and my bloody valentine were true 3D, all animations are true 3D because they just run a second virtual rig.

Your opinion is shared by many, but I like a good 3D flick and would love to watch one or two a week on my own 65" screen with my kids or a friend. I believe our sport really lends itself to the format because of the spacial recognition. My segment being screened in LA is in Virgin/Zion (specifically grafton and rampage sites) with Logan Benggeli, so the 3D allows the viewer to separate all the red rocks/humps/bluffs, which would look flat and blend in with 2D.

Although the 3D blue ray is out, very little is done yet and I am having a problem finding a 3D blue ray authoring company, so if you can reccomend one that would be great! Just spoke to one guy today who said the beta testing for sonic 3D is almost out and would give me a deal at $15,000.00 to make copies if I let them experiment- out of my price range. He also said a lot will change in the next year, which is when I'll release my next flick. I assume you don't want to be on the email notification list;)

One last thing, have to admit that I'm kind of jealous you get to shoot stuff with artists and production companies. Maybe if you change you mind you could jump on the 3D train. If crashes, you know how to bail and if it doesn't you can create cool stuff!)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Okay, wasn't sure if it meant premier pro or passive polarized (which is only a viewing method for those who don't know, yet are bored enough to read this thread) I film true stereoscopic 3D, which is two cameras synchronized, level and 90% of the time parallel. Sets requireing close shots will probably use a beam splitter and lots of lighting.

In my post I mox/mesh/slide my frames and adjust my parallax (what I want to sit in the back and front of the screen,or postive and negative parallax in the Z plane). I could do this in real time with bulky equipment, but not real practical in our sport. 3D conversions are common, but are not true 3D and are frowned upon by almost all stereographers, so that is not the post that I do. Titans and alice were conversations, but caroline, x games and my bloody valentine were true 3D, all animations are true 3D because they just run a second virtual rig.

Your opinion is shared by many, but I like a good 3D flick and would love to watch one or two a week on my own 65" screen with my kids or a friend. I believe our sport really lends itself to the format because of the spacial recognition. My segment being screened in LA is in Virgin/Zion (specifically grafton and rampage sites) with Logan Benggeli, so the 3D allows the viewer to separate all the red rocks/humps/bluffs, which would look flat and blend in with 2D.

Although the 3D blue ray is out, very little is done yet and I am having a problem finding a 3D blue ray authoring company, so if you can reccomend one that would be great! Just spoke to one guy today who said the beta testing for sonic 3D is almost out and would give me a deal at $15,000.00 to make copies if I let them experiment- out of my price range. He also said a lot will change in the next year, which is when I'll release my next flick. I assume you don't want to be on the email notification list;)

One last thing, have to admit that I'm kind of jealous you get to shoot stuff with artists and production companies. Maybe if you change you mind you could jump on the 3D train. If crashes, you know how to bail and if it doesn't you can create cool stuff!)
check your pm...its easier there :thumb:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Sun Ringle and Answer Products have signed on a sponsor to this event. Expect a few wheelsets and tons of gear added to the prize table.

While KHS has added a DJ frame and a Downhill Frame to the 4 complete bikes to be given away.

The course is getting work done on it daily. A new entrance to Broken Tooth, one of our signature drops, has been added.

Over a ton of dirt in the Broken Tooth landing area....

leading to a new right hand berm.

At Plattekill Bike Park attendents load and remove your bikes. The bikes are supported by freshly rubber covered hooks.

If you want to get a jump on the competition get to Platty this weekend. Work is planned for the Cat2/3 course, it's a good one also !!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Sounds good! All 3 of us will be there on Saturday - Can't wait! Look for my little guy in the parking lot - full on riding/coasting now (and wearing an awesome smoke chrome DJ helmet!)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's nothing a liberal application of wachusset Ryde couldn't fix...but it was also my first race in 10 or 11 years...the adrenaline got the better of me.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
What's Ulmer doing in a pic with the E13 logo on it???????
Don't worry he's Gamut all the way. It was a sicklines deal. I don't want to start that crap up here. Both are good quality products, he just prefers The Gamut Chainguide System.

So here's the finish:

I expect Jurgen to gain a ton of speed on that wall ride, a few years back that was all that was talked about after a GES Race.

Last edited: