Quantcast

KHS Lucky 7

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
http://khsbicycles.com/01_lucky7_08.htm

Hey guys....

I am looking for a somewhat cheap DH rig and am looking for some input. I live in Illinois so I would like the bike to be able to handle the "midwest DH" crap as well as riding out west and east in the US as I plan to do some traveling. I don't know if a full 8-9" travel bike is what I need and am looking for some opinions on the Lucky 7. For the money the part spec seems decent and I would get it a good bit cheaper through a team sponsorship. The shock would go immediately and be swapped for a nicer coil (DHX, Rocco, Revox.... something).

Your thoughts??

Thanks guys

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I am also considering the Giant Glory O. The Glory seems like a bit too much bike so the Glory O might be a nice option..... though I don't know how racey it is. I would also have the option of moving to a shop that is a Giant dealer where I live and possibly EP-ing it....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Im not a major manufacturer bike kinda guy but giant has it going on, I rode the maestro suspension and with there geometry Im pretty dead set. I have a option to get an Intense as well as another canfield (not the jedi Im getting that) and im prob going with the giant due to its universal feel and uses XC/FR/All mtn etc.. with drops.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
the Van R is an excellent piece of kit! i don't see any sense in switching the Van, which is really good. i got one on my spec. enduro and i was really positively surprised! it was admittedly PUSH-ed, but honestly i think that this shock is really worth keeping! rather than swapping think about PUSH-ing it.
the rest of the KHS doesn't look too bad either. get a test ride on both the giant and the KHS and see which works for you.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I have always been the guy that wanted what no one else had. I am getting over that. I finally realized that some of these "big box" companies are actually putting time and money into engineering and can often offer just a good if not better bike at a better price. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of smaller companies out there putting out a great product.... I have just now learned to look at not JUST them. I am looking to pick up a bike this spring so I figured better to start looking now than 2 weeks before I need the damn thing.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
the Van R is an excellent piece of kit! i don't see any sense in switching the Van, which is really good. i got one on my spec. enduro and i was really positively surprised! it was admittedly PUSH-ed, but honestly i think that this shock is really worth keeping! rather than swapping think about PUSH-ing it.
the rest of the bike doesn't look too bad either. get a test ride on it and see if it woks for you.
Since I do work at a shop it would probably be cheaper for me to sell the Vanilla and buy a new shock than to get it Pushed. The only Vanilla shocks that I have ridden were on my old FR bikes and I was not impressed. Granted, technology has come a long way and they may be a lot better. I am willing to bet it will get swapped out eventually, it just may not be as big of a priority as I once thought.

Thanks for the input guys.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The Lucky seven rides really well, I am quite pleasantly suprized and impressed with this one, If I didnt get My dirtbag at the price I did, I was going to be geting the Lucky seven Myself!!!

tonyl

Chimp
Oct 2, 2007
If I remember correctly, tHat's the same frame as the azonic b-52. For a lot less money!!!

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Yes.... it looks identical. I am looking at getting it complete for the price of that frame roughly..... I don't think I can go wrong really. I can always look to another frame down the line sometime. I think 7.3" should be plenty of vertical travel.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
As a big Sunday fan I would rather get a used Sunday but if that is not your thing then the package looks good and as you mention the parts can be moved to a different bike too.

My personal experience is though that its all about the right frame to begin with and its much easier to upgrade the other parts.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I don't know if a Sunday is too much bike. I am really considering everything at this point. Beyond the Lucky 7 I have looked at the Glory and Glory O, Sunday, New Canfield Bros, Banshee, and a couple others. Really looking for any and all opinions. I don't really know what "waaaay too much bike is" for the midwest but I still want to have a capable bike if/when I travel. (Because there is a lot of midwest DH that is doable on a hardtail.)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well most stuff even Whistler and here on the East coast you can do on 6" travel bike so that sounds like a better way to go.

Are you looking for DH or Freeride geometry?