Quantcast

Kick ass show in SF tonight...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I cannot believe I missed that this one was coming...I get updates from Bill Graham Presents, ticketweb, ticketmaster, and all the venues...and I get this news this morning:

Talib Kweli
Q Tip
De La Soul

playin at Ruby Sky tonight...I'm desperately trying to get someone to go on such short notice...people suck...I gotta get up for work...I gotta work tomorrow...JEEBUS! Even my friend who are younger than me act like old farts!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
IMO, you're having a hard time finding someone to join you b/c those bands suck.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dan-o said:
IMO, you're having a hard time finding someone to join you b/c those bands suck.
Good one! By the way, they are RAPPERS, not BANDS. Are you going to offer any more opinions about sh*t you don't sh*t about?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
sanjuro said:
Good one! By the way, they are RAPPERS, not BANDS. Are you going to offer any more opinions about sh*t you don't sh*t about?
I remember when De La Soul started (they sucked) and I recently saw some lame-ass video thing at the end of a Chapelle show (suprise, they sucked again!).

Plus, I was just giving DHG a hard time so put on your Birks and take a sensative walk around the Marina.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw De La Soul in New Orleans. They waited 45 minutes after the last band got done, a rather long time (btw, it was the Rebirth Brass Band, an excellent warm up to a rap show). Then their DJ comes out, and says do you want to hear a track from their new album? Everyone is pumped, so we listen to the track. Then another track. Then another. About 20 minutes of him spinning us songs, he plays one I recognized. By the Beastie Boys!

I got so mad having to stand around for an hour, I started yelling "Put down the BONG and get out here".

Suffice to say, De La Soul was not very good that night, and in general I find rap music to be disappointing live. The only rapper I liked live was Redman. It was the Second Stage at Lalapalooza, and he had the whole crowd chanting "F*ck the World".

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dan-o said:
I remember when De La Soul started (they sucked) and I recently saw some lame-ass video thing at the end of a Chapelle show (suprise, they sucked again!).

Plus, I was just giving DHG a hard time so put on your Birks and take a sensative walk around the Marina.
"De La Soul is Dead" is an amazing album, some of the best rap music I ever heard.

Actually, I was at the Marina yesterday. I had to get a hanger for my Norco, and the only dealer in town is Sports Basement. A horrible shop, but I find I don't most shops...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
yeah yeah whatever...I like em all and I wanna go...my friends just don't do too many spontaneous things like come home at 3 am from a show on a work night...me...I fly by the seat of my pants...it just seems that de la soul comes everytime I cannot go...and that pisses me off...I am going to see Mix a Lot in July...perhaps I'll join him on stage again to sing baby got back...that was SO damn fun!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe that's because they have jobs which require some semblance of alertness and skill. :p

-S.S.-
Wait, DH Girlie works for the government? You don't think gov't workers perform their jobs with pride and skill?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe that's because they have jobs which require some semblance of alertness and skill. :p

-S.S.-
Precisely! And they work 12 hour days and get threatened with lay offs, and don't get retirement, are underpaid, and can't take the vacation time they acrue an all kindsa neat stuff like that...me...I leave AT 4 EVERY day...and if I'm here any later, I get time and a half!!! Nice fat pension plan building up...when I was dying of SARS or whatever it was that I had last month, I was able to take the sick time I needed when my friends have to go to work on their deathbeds! I'm hoping one of them will take a sick day and go tonight...

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
sanjuro said:
in general I find rap music to be disappointing live.
I saw Atmosphere last summer and they were just amazing live. Crowd was going, Slug therw in some freestyle. Really fun show. In general though, i agree with you - most live rap is pretty weak.