Quantcast

Kick ass!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
This chick I've been hangin out with just called me and said she scored some free passes to an advance screening of the Narnia movie on Tuesday. Now if it sucks I won't be pissed that I wasted money on it :D

I'll be sure and write up a little review for you dillholes.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
This chick I've been hangin out with just called me and said she scored some free passes to an advance screening of the Narnia movie on Tuesday. Now if it sucks I won't be pissed that I wasted money on it :D

Nice :thumb: I am jealous! Sq-Earl & I will be sitting in a breastfeeding class while you're watching your movie :p

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
TreeSaw said:
Nice :thumb: I am jealous! Sq-Earl & I will be sitting in a breastfeeding class while you're watching your movie :p
this sounds wayyy more interesting

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Nice! I can't wait for that. A friend of mine is going to a preview as well and I am so jealous. I saw a special 10 minute preview, but I am looking forward to the review.

regards,

Dillhole Asswipe

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'm on the fence about this one. The Narnia series is one of my faves and I have ideas about what the characters and places look like. I have read the books many many times and they have become like old friends. It's going to be difficult for me to go into the theater with on open mind on this one.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ciaran said:
I'm on the fence about this one. The Narnia series is one of my faves and I have ideas about what the characters and places look like. I have read the books many many times and they have become like old friends. It's going to be difficult for me to go into the theater with on open mind on this one.
I'm with you on that. The one thing that could save it for me is that I read the books like 25 years ago and I don't remember everything.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
TreeSaw said:
breastfeeding class
:think:

They have a class for that?

Let me save you some time:

1) Hold noisy kid to boob.

2) Remove when quiet.

3) Repeat as needed.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I did read the books when I was a wee lad, but that was 20+ years ago and I dont remember anything, other than liking the material, so I am looking foward to the movie. This and King Kong are the only movies that I would want to see, hell, I havent been to the theater in god know how long. I cant even remember the last one I saw in a theater

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
N8 said:
they hate Harry Potter
"They" are moronic Christians. More of my Jesus loving brethren have seen Potter movies than have not.

C.S. Lewis was an evangelical Christian who wrote one of the better books on Christianity, Mere Christianity. So that is why you may be noticing support for the Narnia films from Christian groups. He is a well liked writer.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I read an article on CNN the other day saying that he was not in favor of a live action version because it would not do justice to the talking animals, however he would (and did) approve of some cartoon versions. The was in the 60s or there aboots, so he had no idea of the progression of CGI. If he had the converstation today, I think he would have a different attitude

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Lewis and Tolkein were drinking buddies. They had a club where they and other authors (no women allowed) would get together and get really drunk and read each others stories.

One of my other fave Lewis books is The Great Divorce.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
N8 said:
CS Lewis Probably Thinks The Narnia Movie Is Rubbish

Also... what is the 'christian' spin on the flick anyway? Seems that while they hate Harry Potter they are backing CoN.
In general, us 'Christians' are in full support of Narnia. If you have not realized it, Aslan is the Jesus figure, and the series is somewhat of a commentary on the Bible. If you had read the actual letter by C.S. Lewis concerning why he didn't want a movie to be made, you would realize that it was because he didn't think that they had the technology to make it look right, and the movie would come off as fake. This fits right in with his strain of thinking too, if you know much about his ideals; he wanted things to be real. Things have changed, and we now have the technology to make it look right. The only real concern I can see him having would be that each individual is not given the liberty to picture the characters in their own mind. Also, the fact is that Disney is not making this movie, Walden Media is. Disney is just funding it.

Many of us 'Christians', as you so tactfully like to call us, are in support of the Harry Potter books and movies as well. They are morality plays, and for those of us who like to use our minds (more than you apparently would like to think), we realize that the presence of morality is the closest thing we have as proof of God's existence, which is also a C.S. Lewison idea.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
kinghami3 said:
In general, us 'Christians' are in full support of Narnia. If you have not realized it, Aslan is the Jesus figure, and the series is somewhat of a commentary on the Bible. If you had read the actual letter by C.S. Lewis concerning why he didn't want a movie to be made, you would realize that it was because he didn't think that they had the technology to make it look right, and the movie would come off as fake. This fits right in with his strain of thinking too, if you know much about his ideals; he wanted things to be real. Things have changed, and we now have the technology to make it look right. The only real concern I can see him having would be that each individual is not given the liberty to picture the characters in their own mind. Also, the fact is that Disney is not making this movie, Walden Media is. Disney is just funding it.

Many of us 'Christians, as you so tactfully like to call us, are in support of the Harry Potter books and movies as well. They are morality plays, and for those of us who like to use our minds (more than you apparently would like to think), we realize that the presence of morality is the closest thing we have as proof of God's existence, which is also a C.S. Lewison idea.
Hear! Hear!
I think too many 'Christians' see Harry Potter and read about 'witches' and 'sorcery' and put a blanket X on the whole thing, not seeing the larger picture.

My only disagreement with HP, that no one seems to point out, is that Harry reacts as _anyone_ would in feeling rage or wanting revenge. It would have been truly golden had he risen above that, and mercy were demonstrated as a true virtue, one worth cultivating and developing, rather than simply showcasing cunning and wit. Otherwise, I love the Harry Potter series.

I was less than sanguine when I heard that Disney was producing the LWW movie. But now that I know someone else is behind it... AH! I can't wait!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Echo said:
This chick.....

so where the hell is the review on this chick that you said we were gonna get?