Quantcast

Kicking *ss and Taking Names in Cle Elum

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
As many of you know former National Champion Downhiller and all around biker including motos Mikki Douglass is a Ranger over here in Cle Elum. Mikki and her crew have been busy this spring getting the Taneum ready for mountain bikers. The area of course is a big moto area but the FS would like to see a few more bikers in the area. I think they are trying to gentrify the area with mountain bikers. :rolleyes: The Taneum has four trails that can be shuttled, five if you split Taneum Ridge into two sections.

The trails are:

South Cle Elum Ridge-1.5 miles-1000 feet drop
Lower Taneum Ridge-1.5 miles 960 feet drop
Taneum Ridge(the whole thing)4.5 miles 1400 feet drop
Gooseberry Flat Trail-1 miles 700 feet drop
Gnatt Flat Trail-2 miles 1700 foot drop

Did I mention that these are SHUTTLE-DOWNHILL TRAILS. A couple of the local boys ran Gooseberry Flat as there training trail and then went to Schweitzer and place 3rd and 7th Sport DH. Not sure if there are any other trails but if there are Mikki Douglass would probably know. The Taneum is full of camping areas including Taneum Junction where Gooseberry Flats and Taneum Ridge terminate. Memorial Day Weekend is coming up and the trails and weather will be great.

Of other interest over here, the Teanaway General Store has reopened after being closed for many years. Its pretty well stocked with camping supplies. Also further up the Teanaway the FS is bridging Iron Creek at the 1351 trail head so you wont get your feet wet-there. You have to wait a couple hundred yards to the next stream crossing. :)

Rat Pac can be shuttled from inside the gate. It has some new stunts that look interesting if a little dangerous if you fall. Its still being worked on but its open and a few brave souls are hitting it up.

Heres a link to Mikki Douglass and here website. She also has information on some of the current work in the Taneum.

http://mikmoto.com/

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Hey Keith, how about all the trails out there that you can just ride?
Why push the shuttle only crowd? I know they're all moto trails so they are already f'd up anyways. But....
At least you neglected to mention a few others... :)
The new bridge on Iron Creek does seem pointless when there's several other crossings. Unless they plan on bridging as they go up. It is the first one right out of the TH though.
You should send everyone who won't ride up over to Hoyt Mine trail above Gooseberry. I'd like to see some of them go down that! :eek:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I havent done Hoyt, when I was talking up the Taneum in Eburg with the DH guys they also said Hoyt was pretty good and I should check it out. Taneum Ridge is enough for me, cant figure out why there arent more people on it. I have been down it maybe 30x and have yet to see another mountain biker. I am sure Mikiki Douglass and the FS would like to see a few more mountain bikers up in the Taneum, I know they have been working hard trying to get the trails in shape. They also put out a one page brochure which covers the trails I mentioned and a couple more like the classic Fishhook Flats. I am sure there is some mud up there but the vertical trails like Taneum Ridge should be pretty nice.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
It's all good news. Big thanks to Mikki for doing the site and getting the trails ready. There's lots of good stuff out there and, as you said, rarely another biker. Hoyt has some burley stuff that would even be interesting on a big bike.
But, it's a ridge trail. So, they'd have to push at times. Comes out either on the road above the moto camp(your first left off the road climb) or in the camp itself. By where Gooseberry comes out. I'd love to see a moto scramble up the ridge some day. You'd have to be right out there and over the tank to keep the front wheel down. Peaches to South Fork is cool too. Peaches had some looooong sections of brake bumps the last time I was out there though.
I'll put the site on my favorites and keep an eye on it. Hoping to sneak in a Shoestring lake-S. Fk Manastash out and back, Keenan Meadows lollipop route before it gets too dusty and before the flowers wilt. S. Fk Manastash is the real deal for the don't mind a little climb club.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
66 said:
so who's giving tours and shuttles?
Thats what wives or for. The best shuttle drivers are guys who are laid up from injuries but can still drive. Nobody has a gf drive shuttle.

If anyone is coming over from the west the Taneum is exit 93. You then cross over the freeway and parallel it about 4 miles on the North side, then cross back over the freeway on another overpass. Next drive southwest about 10 miles till the pavement ends and that will put you at the Taneum Junction Campground. Most of the rides end/start there.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Borregokid said:
Thats what wives or for. The best shuttle drivers are guys who are laid up from injuries but can still drive. Nobody has a gf drive shuttle.

If anyone is coming over from the west the Taneum is exit 93. You then cross over the freeway and parallel it about 4 miles on the North side, then cross back over the freeway on another overpass. Next drive southwest about 10 miles till the pavement ends and that will put you at the Taneum Junction Campground. Most of the rides end/start there.
are the roads rough? 4x4 truck only? will my minivan survive?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
66 said:
are the roads rough? 4x4 truck only? will my minivan survive?
When you get to Taneum Junction road 3300 starts and that road is really smooth up to Taneum Ridge 1363. Road 3330 which is maybe a mile or so before the Junction is also pretty smooth-thats the Gooseberry Flats shuttle road. The road that might be kind of crummy but still passable is 3350 which is the shortcut back to Cle Elum. It also leads to Souith Cle Elum Ridge one of the other shuttles. If you have a good map and are thinking of taking a shortcut to the Junction over Peoh Point-skip it unless you like 10 miles of bumpy road. Also it can be pretty easy to get lost- the road numbers 33, 3300, 3350, and 3330 make it confusing. Anyway your minivan will make it-easy on any of the roads.