Quantcast

Kid bike trailers

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I've got one that we purchased from Nashbar. It's the Nashbar branded yellow and blue model. Sarah really likes riding in it. Only thing I'd really like to change about it is the way it attaches to the bike. This one clamps to the chain stay. Clamp is huge and cumbersome and sometimes my shoe hits it. I'd rather have one that attaches to the rear axle/QR.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It is recommended that they be a year old. If you are going to make em wear a helmet then that is a pretty good recommendation as they need to have sufficient neck muscles to hold it up.
Yeah I was figuring she would be about 13months old when I wanted to start using it.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I've been debating on what to buy - trailer vs. child seat. From what I've seen, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. The Burleys and Chariots are really nice, but come at a premium.

As for age to begin riding in one, I stumbled across some pretty decent articles here - http://www.helmets.org/child.htm Food for thought if nothing else.

Let me know what you go with as well as your impressions.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
I bought this one and plan on putting my kid in it when he is about 12 months old give or take a month or two

Heck as soon as I'm capable of riding in shorts and a t-shirt my son is going riding with me :)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I've been debating on what to buy - trailer vs. child seat. From what I've seen, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. The Burleys and Chariots are really nice, but come at a premium.

As for age to begin riding in one, I stumbled across some pretty decent articles here - http://www.helmets.org/child.htm Food for thought if nothing else.

I finally just gave up and stopped using a helmet in the trailer. As Caroline's head grows, I'll do it, but for now, it's uncomfortable for her, and so far as I can tell, doesn't keep her any safer in the trailer.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

We have both and use both, although the trailer definitely gets more use. We use the trailer more because it's more comfortable for Syd. She can bring along a toy or a book, a light blanket for any chill, a snack and water. All of that doesn't go over too well in the carrier so we only use that for shorter rides (less than a half hour). She's good to go in the trailer for rides that are 1-1 1/2 hours.

I also liked the stability of the trailer especially if I need to stop at any point during our rides.

I didn't like the sidecar because I ride on the roads a lot and I don't always have a nice wide shoulder and I would rather keep closer to the side of the road than the sidecar allowed for.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We have a Burley Solo and it's GREAT.
:stupid:

The solo was awesome. It wasn't too bulky and was well build. I had the disc adapter on my bike and the frame hitch on the wifes so we could trade off during rides.

The best part is after 4 years of use, I sold it on ebay for damn near what I paid for it (bro deal).

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I finally just gave up and stopped using a helmet in the trailer. As Caroline's head grows, I'll do it, but for now, it's uncomfortable for her, and so far as I can tell, doesn't keep her any safer in the trailer.
Loco, we gave up too. I may try again this spring when he is a little bigger. The trailer has an aluminum roll cage and a 4 point harness. He should be safe on a basic roll over and if one of us was hit by a car, he'd be pretty much f***ed, helmet or not. :twitch:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The kid helmet (egg shaped) worked well, but when I got her an XC type, she couldn't put her head back, so I let her take it off too.

This year she will rock the tag-a-long, so she is good to go.