Quantcast

Kid/Teen Allowance Cards

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We've had Haley set up with a GoHenry account so that she could have an allowance based on getting chores done. They started charging a $5/m fee, so we dropped that and I started looking for other options. Greenlight, etc all have fees built into them and are glorified debit cards.

I found one called Step that looks to be a pretty good option for those that want to do allowance, etc on a card vs. cash. It's a pre-funded credit card, so they are actively building their credit history, no matter their age. They can't overspend on it and best part? No fees. If you want to put cash quickly onto their card, you need to have money in your account, so you might end up with $50-100 sitting in a low interest account.

Pretty good option because I can drop cash onto her card if she needs is when she's out and she's building credit - 8yrs before she can even take a card/loan out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe it's different down there, actually it probably is...

Up here, as far as I know, bank accounts are "free" for minors and you get a nice interac debit card. As a parent you could control access to the bank.

And the debit card can be used anywhere. Most banks have alerts setup. And you can etransfer money between accounts, at different banks even, for free. And it's instant.

That's how I'd do it. Plus it'd introduce them to a real bank account. It's how my parents set me up as a kid - I've had the same bank account since I was ten years old or something - back in the cday when they used to print your crap out in that little book. It was always nice seeing my $20 deposit for the paper route. :rofl:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Up here, as far as I know, bank accounts are "free" for minors and you get a nice interac debit card. As a parent you could control access to the bank.

And the debit card can be used anywhere. Most banks have alerts setup. And you can etransfer money between accounts, at different banks even, for free. And it's instant.

That's how I'd do it. Plus it'd introduce them to a real bank account. It's how my parents set me up as a kid - I've had the same bank account since I was ten years old or something - back in the cday when they used to print your crap out in that little book. It was always nice seeing my $20 deposit for the paper route. :rofl:
I'd have to double check with the wife, but I'm 98% certain this is how my daughters checking/debit card works with US Bank.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
some types of payment cards do not play well with payment machines....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My kids both have a savings and checking account with regular debit cards that can be used in stores, and now my oldest hit 15 she has a proper full visa debit can be used online, contactless etc. Their accounts are part of the suite of accounts we have with our bank. We can see and control their accounts if needed and they too have their own banking app access, basically identical to adult accounts but a) free and b) neither have credit facilities yet of course. We have an automated payment each week for their pocket money.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just send them to a meat packing plant in Iowa

<<Kentucky has entered the chat>>

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well in Kentucky by 10 years old you are already married to your cousin and need a job to support your 3 kids.
Need to be able to afford enough gunz for them all to defend themselves too.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My kids both have a savings and checking account with regular debit cards that can be used in stores, and now my oldest hit 15 she has a proper full visa debit can be used online, contactless etc. Their accounts are part of the suite of accounts we have with our bank. We can see and control their accounts if needed and they too have their own banking app access, basically identical to adult accounts but a) free and b) neither have credit facilities yet of course. We have an automated payment each week for their pocket money.
We bank through Schwab and they need to have an associated brokerage account for accounts for checking. We have a credit union for cashing checks and as a local savings account, but they have minimum balance requirements for checking (household level).

They both have UTMA/UGMA accounts with a few hundred dollars invested where they save half of gifts they get or other kinds or earnings. Then a HYSA at the CU for any of the cash that they want to keep for spending. So far Haley's doing pretty good. Now that her friends want to start going to the mall, she wants to buy stuff; but generally uses her allowance money (insert chore list). Hannah has her savings account and her "super" savings account (UTMA/UGMA) where she saves almost everything.

I'm trying to do my best to teach the girls about saving and spending. Haley's gotten a little bit more difficult as of late though. She was commenting that one of her friends is super spoiled because she gets everything that she wants. It was hard to explain that she has arguably one of the most expensive sport possible, without telling her how expensive it is, because I'm trying my best to avoid enmeshment of her with our finances. She also wasn't aware that he friend's dad works a second, part-time job, stocking at HD to provide that super inexpensive, whatever she wants, stuff for her.

The thing that really got my attention with this card was that it is a credit card with a capacity of how much money is in her account. So she has no ability to spend more than is in her account, but has started her credit history at age 10. So if by 18 she ends up having to take out school loans (not the plan), she will have phenomenal credit and can get a lower rate.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
She was commenting that one of her friends is super spoiled because she gets everything that she wants.
I have the opposite problem. My kid doesn't seem to want anything... he seems happy when we take him skiing or biking, but never asks for anything. doesn't give a shit about clothes... doesn't ask to go places... I wind up having to motivate him to do stuff...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Our kids were mostly like this. And TBH, now that they are all adults, they continue it, which seems to serve them well.
I find there's a fine line between lack of ambition and not caring about trivial things... we'll see where it goes. I hope he keeps the good aspects of this attitude, but still develops a little drive and ambition...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My kids just want candy and books. I think the lack of commercials on the streaming service help. The kids earn “squares” on a piece of graph paper when they do chores. The big one is saving them up for a gaming laptop. How many she needs I don’t know. But she seems too. She isn’t really needy about stuff and I have to talk her into getting stuff all the time.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

This is how it works with both of my kids accounts.