Quantcast

Kidney belt or similar for DH?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Should have posted this a long time ago but better late than never, is there anything that will save my hip/tummy/kidney region and stay on? I'm talking fairly low around the hips here.

I've got plenty of scars around that area but most recently a whole bunch of stitches where i put a nice hole in (just missed the goods thankfully), and I'm kinda angry because I wear full body armour unlike a lot of the punks here but it just doesn't cover that region (nowhere near properly anyway). No fair!

So I guess I'm after something standalone (that I can wear with a pressure suit) that will cover that area and stay in place.. if anyone has experience with anything, I'd love to hear!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maybe a better suit? I have a dainese and it has a kidney belt that makes it difficult to breathe. I find that it rides up when I sit on the lift, but while riding it stays in place. What armor are you using?

You could also look into something for weightlifting or boxing possibly, but I have no experience with either...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe a better suit? I have a dainese and it has a kidney belt that makes it difficult to breathe. I find that it rides up when I sit on the lift, but while riding it stays in place. What armor are you using?

You could also look into something for weightlifting or boxing possibly, but I have no experience with either...
If your kidney belt is giving you breathing problems, then you probably have it on too tight. It should fit snugly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh I know...I'm just saying...I can clamp that sucker down.

my fat gut does a pretty decent job of protecting my kidneys though

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
I find the my Flak Jacket's spine protector waist band very close to my kidney protector in how it functions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Personally, after a year or 2 of downhilling, I found my body armor to be too restrictive. I felt like Randy in his snow gear from the movie A Christmas Story. Now when I go downhilling, all I wear is knee pads, kidney belt, and a moto lid. Tho I am considering getting a Leatt Brace, as well as a spine plate thinger.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Personally, after a year or 2 of downhilling, I found my body armor to be too restrictive. I felt like Randy in his snow gear from the movie A Christmas Story. Now when I go downhilling, all I wear is knee pads, kidney belt, and a moto lid. Tho I am considering getting a Leatt Brace, as well as a spine plate thinger.
I understand what you are saying.
But at that point, aren't you pretty much wearing a full suit anyways?

After a local rider got injured and seeing another local guy (who normally doesn't wear any armor) wearing a Leatt, I'm seriously thinking about getting one...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I understand what you are saying.
But at that point, aren't you pretty much wearing a full suit anyways?
no. you're still missing the chest piece, as well as shoulders, upper arms & forearms, which were the pieces I found to be most constricting. I'm waiting to find/try and backplate that I like.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
no. you're still missing the chest piece, as well as shoulders, upper arms & forearms, which were the pieces I found to be most constricting. I'm waiting to find/try and backplate that I like.
Fair enough!
And I agree, way too constricting.

Hey, if you find one, post it up! I'd definitely be interested!
I know RockGardn has a stand alone backplate...maybe check that out?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have the rockgardn pressure suit, had a 661 SP1 before that and neither of them went lower than about my belly button in terms of their inbuilt kidney belt. I think it's because I'm skinny + tall (in comparison anyway), so when I get a suit that fits, it's on the short side...

I really want to get a lighter/racier suit as well, pretty keen on the 661 Pro suit, but even then I'm annoyed that I'll have to "double up" on kidney protection to actually protect myself... anyone have any thoughts?

They look good to me, I think that'll be the go.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Actually, is anyone using or has anyone tried the 661 pro pressure suit I just mentioned?

I looked at it again, and it looks like the "kidney belt" on it is really high, so it might leave plenty of room for one of their proper belts below it... seems like what I might be after... thoughts?

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
I've been rocking a kidney belt ever since I ruptured my kidney at snowmass last summer. For light dh trail riding I wear just a kidney belt (the TLD one) which isn't super protective but it offers nice lower back support and a little peace of mind. For the gnarlier stuff I've been wearing a RockGardn flak vest with the back slider. Its got tons of back protection and the kidney belt fits really snug which I like. Im not big on really restrictive armor, so the vest is nice (although my arms still take a beating sometimes).

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I use a Rockgardn Flak Jacket with full chest, spine, arms & kidney protection. I ride the Shore and Whistler fairly often and do not find it restrictive at all. Even if it was a bit restrictive, I would rather be better protected than not.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
what about a 661 core saver: chest, spine and kidney belt. no bulky arms all the in internals are protected.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I used a kidney belt for a while and it did restrict my breathing a bit. It was hard to keep it loose enough where it didn't. I would notice it when I took it off for a run, but maybe not while just riding with it on.

On the general protection issue, I've had a hard time finding armor that I like. I feel restricted in almost anything. I bought a Rockgardn Trailstar this year and cut the shoulder pads off (can still sew them back on if I want, though). It stays in place and saved me from at least one nasty crash that would have really scraped the F out of my back. It isn't as protective as a full suit (no kidney belt, short backplate), but it does the job. I don't feel restricted or hot at all and it stays in place.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I had a pressure suit and hated it cause I just felt too bulky and uncomfortable. But I wanted spine protection. So I picked up an Icon street bike vest and its super comfortable, not all too hot and protects me for what it is. I really love it.

http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1666&id=7040