Quantcast

Kids in downhill biking....your thoughts?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
When they start making DH tracks 100 meters wide, then it will be OK to have 6-year-olds on them. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure you don't ride pararell to each other on dh tracks. Also if the kid gets out of control on a dh track he will just land on a tree so unless Treebeard decides to sue the resort what's the problem?

@Alexis-dh the same may happen to any slow rider.

Kids should be allowed to ride as early as possible if we want our sport to progress. I remember reading an article on guardian about how one of the main reasons of records getting broken all the time is people getting into the sport at a younger age (of course more people helps too) but if you really want snowboard comparisons - Shaun White.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
so, its not only a matter of downhill being a risky activity on its own... but also a matter of relative skill.
in a racetrack, drivers are separeted in groups of similar level. having a much slower driver in the field is normally regarded as a safety hazard. similarly, when riding downhill..... its not a good idea to have inexperienced riders in a downhill track, since most riders there are usually fairly advanced cyclists, and there is normally one or two grooves at most.

i dont have kids, but honestly speaking, i´d be horrified if my 6 to 9 nephews ask to join me in my downhill rides in the andes (with the exposed roads) or at our local dh tracks (with blind turns, jumps and drops). i routinely hit 45mph in my rides, usually riding over sketchy ground... my brake distances are very large, and the margin for error is small enough as it is.
I think you're missing the point that a green run should be separating the experienced from the novices. And if you're going 45 on green (or even blue) runs, then you're the problem.

It's easy to tell you don't have kids. I get the same response from people (not parents) who see my daughter in the terrain park on her skis and give us a hard time. They assume because she's small that she isn't skilled. On the contrary, she's more skilled than a lot of people who are also learning to jump. And as for not seeing her, if you don't see me (6'2" 185 lbs), and I'm always right behind her, then you should have a blind skier sign and have someone with better vision guiding you down the mountain.

I haven't yet taken my daughter down Green World at Winterpark (and she's been skilled enough to ride it for at least a year now), but that's not because of concern for her safety, it's just a time/ schedule thing.

And in case anyone here hasn't seen it yet, the full suspension bikes these guys make for little kids rock!
www.lilshredder.com

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My daughter is 9 yo and rode black diamonds all weekend. We had to pull over a couple times, but no one complained and no one came close to hitting her.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I guess I'll have to clarify my 100m wide comment, since it doesn't seem to be obvious.

There was an analogy being drawn between DH biking and snow skiing. Ski slopes can accommodate lost of skiers of differing abilities at the same time because they are wide and you can easily and safely navigate around slower skiers. DH tracks are generally single tracks with lots of dangerous hazards and limited sight lines, making is very dangerous when there are multiple riders and big differences in speed.

I think it's great to take your kid out on any uncrowded trail that is within their ablity level. And I don't mind if your kid is on a green trail or another appropriate trail. But for your kid's sake and all our own safety, I hope your not taking your kid down popular fast trails unless they're fast enough to not pose a safety issue.

By the way, I'm a parent. And I don't shelter my kid. When she falls down we don't go running over and scoop her up, we let her shake it off and praise her toughness. But I'm also never going to jeopardize her safety by making a bad judgment call. And that's all this boils down to...parents need to have good judgment. I'm sure we can all agree on that. :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Wheel size is the biggest issue for sub 11 year olds. Smaller wheels don't handle rocks well and 26" wheels with 6"+ suspension requires some height. That's why you see more kids on dirtbikes at motocross tracks than trail riding. I'd stick to BMX and mellow XC riding till a kid is big enough to control a 26" 7" travel bike. This is my experience from coaching a DH racing teammate starting when he was 9. He's almost 12 now.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'll just be a dick and throw this thought into the mix...

I don't like seeing kids on the trails because that's where I go for "adult time." I like drinking beers, dropping f-bombs, and acting a fool. I am not saying you're like this, but a lot of parents these days think, mistakenly, that their kid should be the most important thing out on the hill. Personally, I earned the money to pay for the ticket, so much like baseball games and so forth, I think that adults should be able to act like adults.

Some mountains I know don't let kids on because of liability. Others don't because of wanting to allow grown-ups to have some adult time. By the time a 12 year old gets on the hill, they've heard the f-bomb a few thousand times, even the home schooled ones.

I understand wanting to spend time with your kid. But I just think that BMX, which is overrun by that "family friendly" bull**** might be a more appropriate place.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just wow.
I can see why you'd say that. But consider the fact that not everyone wants to have kids around, and some places are for adults. I used to think that people would be smart enough not to bring their kids into places where children weren't appropriate, my last trip to Brooklyn where yuppie parents are suing to take kids into bars proved to me that sometimes people don't understand boundaries.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Can you not hold the F-bombs for the 5 mins you're within earshot of someones kids?
No. Furthermore, why should I/we? I understand this might come off as selfish, but I think that there are some places that need to be for adults/people older that six. If parents choose to bring them there, I think they need to accept that some people don't think their kid should be there, and won't hold back on language/adult activity within the boundaries of the law.

Again, I am not saying that the OP is that sort of parent, but I don't like the precedent that it sets where other parents can bring their kids in. It was bad enough dealing with Niko Mulally's mom when Niko was 13 and on the east coast.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
But consider the fact that not everyone wants to have kids around,
I know this. I have 2 boys and even I don't want them around some of the time.

But I never thought of mountain biking a bastion of adult hedonism. Maybe you should go to the strip club more. :D

I struggled with having kids and how it would effect my adulthood. In reluctance, I bring my kids with me so I can still keep doing the things I love. But taking my sons to the hill and into a bar are two different things.

I have been very careful to not push my hobbies on my kids. My oldest loves everything to do with 2 wheels and if I'd let him, he would DH as well. He's 4.5 yo. But I have not allowed him to get into too much because I don't want him to burn out and not enjoy it anymore.

For me, a kid that young (mine included) are better off being kids. DH will be there later. BMX is a great alternative and better suited for kids.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
But I never thought of mountain biking a bastion of adult hedonism. Maybe you should go to the strip club more. :D
More??? Hell, I think I've put at least three or four student dancers through med school at this point. Oh wait, that was my ex-wife I am thinking of...

Yesterday I went up to NE Arizona with a tour company that does shuttles up to the mountain. Its nice, you can sleep on the way up (four hours) and party your way home. We plugged in The Hangover on the way back, talked about things like tea bagging, blumpkins and a female/gay version of Hooters called "The Moose Knuckle." These things are part of riding to me, getting to be wildly inappropriate, making jokes that would make Dennis Hoff blush, and rolling on the ground laughing so hard that I damn near poop myself.

Now on the other hand, if a six year old had been there, it would have been a different party. I, for one, do not like the precedent it would set if it was tolerated to start bringing little kids into the dynamic. Its bad enough that you see parents bringing their kids to R-rated movies late at night (like the six year old gunned down at Batman), but there's a point where enough is enough. Kids are not small adults, they're kids. There are appropriate venues, and I submit that a downhill park is not one of those venues.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I doubt most parents would take their kids on a tour bus. People want to party on them, so its not really the place for them.

Just for the sake of clarity... Are we talking about on the trail F-bombs or in the middle of the resorts village? Because they're two very different venues.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I doubt most parents would take their kids on a tour bus. People want to party on them, so its not really the place for them.
You know, you'd think that. But I know for a fact that on several occasions people have called asking to do just that. The owner has a couple of kids, so do his partners, and when asked if he'd bring his kids, his response was "**** no, we're degenerates!"

Just for the sake of clarity... Are we talking about on the trail F-bombs or in the middle of the resorts village? Because they're two very different venues.
No, they're not. I drop f-bombs everywhere, have even done it a couple times in court. To me kids don't belong in venues with adults. I don't have kids because I don't like kids, and more to the point I don't like other kids' parents. I know people who have kids don't see it (thank you oxytocin) but you do tune out of what's going on around you when your kids are with you. If I'm sitting down, sliding into my end of day beer, and I start dropping f-bombs, I've earned that. I paid for my day, I rode my bike, I more than usually left blood on the trial. I want to cut loose like an adult for a bit. If your kid is there, staring up at me and my drink from his juice drink, we're going to have a problem.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Eh, I don't know, I like seeing kids on the trail. Especially watching how quick they learn. Its rad to watch them progress. Plus, they don't get in my way nearly as much as all the really fat drunk retards out there stopping every hundred yards to catch their breath as they sweat out pure donut glaze.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Eh, I don't know, I like seeing kids on the trail. Especially watching how quick they learn. Its rad to watch them progress. Plus, they don't get in my way nearly as much as all the really fat drunk retards out there stopping every hundred yards to catch their breath as they sweat out pure donut glaze.
1. That's pork glaze, get it right.
2. I've seen a lot of people on trails get hit. Hell, my fat drunk retard ass has landed on a few people who didn't know better than to clear the landing after they ate **** when they landed. Think I even ran over a couple 12 year olds a couple years back at N*.
3. GFY.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Seeing beginners and kids on trails and at the parks kick ass. Giving lil' rippers props gets them all the more stoked too. Saw a few kids at Northstar when I went which was awesome and seeing more kids at Highland recently too. The shame is that cyclist are like the rest of our derp world so there are plenty of douche-y, eclectic, and condescending riders.

Was at Highland a couple weeks ago and me and a buddy decided to go down one of the intermediate trails for fun and berm blasting. Got a few hundred yards down the trail and there must of been a beginner group of 15 or so riders on rental bikes. It was all good, we hit the brakes and let them know we're coming so we can slowly maneuver through them. All of a sudden I hear a guy get on our rear wheels and starts saying "rider up, get out of the way". I manage to pass the group of riders most of whom where off the trail anyway and opened up some distance from "douche rider". Towards the end of the short flatish section we happen upon the two remaining rental riders putting along and hit the brakes. Some time passes and "douche rider" worms his way by us and lectures us and these two kids who were probably downhilling for the first time about not holding people up. We exchanged a few words with these kids to let them know not all DHer's are d-bags and then I said we'd hunt the guy down. We hopped aboard our bikes, pinned it around a few berms to catch up to the guy and then road on the guys wheel the entire way down the hill. It was pretty awesome watching him high tail it to the lodge without looking back.

Anyway, kids that downhill are awesome and douche riders that curse around kids or hightail it past them are not. Believe it or not for a young tyke, a halfway decent rider that gives them a compliment is probably more of a role model than Steve Peat or Aaron Gwin.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I'll just be a dick and throw this thought into the mix...

I don't like seeing kids on the trails because that's where I go for "adult time." I like drinking beers, dropping f-bombs, and acting a fool. I am not saying you're like this, but a lot of parents these days think, mistakenly, that their kid should be the most important thing out on the hill. Personally, I earned the money to pay for the ticket, so much like baseball games and so forth, I think that adults should be able to act like adults.

Some mountains I know don't let kids on because of liability. Others don't because of wanting to allow grown-ups to have some adult time. By the time a 12 year old gets on the hill, they've heard the f-bomb a few thousand times, even the home schooled ones.

I understand wanting to spend time with your kid. But I just think that BMX, which is overrun by that "family friendly" bull**** might be a more appropriate place.
Wait - bike riding is supposed to be 'adult' time? You got things completely bass-ackwards there my man.
When we grown-ups rdie dirt, we're just imposters; the kids are the ones who actually own this ****. Unless of course you're one of those 'serious' riders, in which case, well, have fun being 'serious' about playing with an overpriced toy, but don't feel put out if some of us realize that biking, specially DH, is about as un-serious and childish an activity as there could possibly be (which is exactly why it's so fun) and want our kids to have as good a time as we're having.

Personally, me and my son (8 y/o) have been spending a lot of time in skateparks lately. Trust me, you ain't saying or doing **** out on the trails that we we aren't getting daily from 11 year old skaters at the local urban spots. Luckily, my kid has a good filter, but really, in general, if somebody is going overboard with the cursing in a public place, I think it makes them look like a d-bag whether there are kids around or not.

As far as riding, some kids can handle it, some can't. Mine's been riding lifts since he was 5; he gets around pretty well. Good chance he's better bike handler that quite a few people on this forum, and he doesn't heckle me too much about pounding beers on the lift. And Highland's a really really good place to bring kids that want to get into riding. Clinics, camps, good variety of trails, foam pit, jumps, pump track...lots of little rippers there on regular basis.

Back when he was 6...

022 - Copy.JPG

Ev hland1.jpg

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Maybe your kids are special. I doubt it, but I am a doubting Thomas sort.

And maybe you're that rare parent who understands that if you take a kid to an adult situation that he/she is going to be exposed to adult themes. Mind you, I don't agree with it, but its your choice as the parent. That being said, don't ask the adults who are there to change their ways, censor themselves, so on and so forth. Yes, it might be d-bag to go on an f-bomb rant, but like I said, its an adult sport. It used to be cost prohibitive to bring young kids out to stuff like this, but I guess everyone thinks their kid is the next Sam Hill.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
We exchanged a few words with these kids to let them know not all DHer's are d-bags and then I said we'd hunt the guy down. We hopped aboard our bikes, pinned it around a few berms to catch up to the guy and then road on the guys wheel the entire way down the hill. It was pretty awesome watching him high tail it to the lodge without looking back.

That's always fun. I personally like to duck inside on a corner on that type of douche to scare the **** out of him.

I've only ever had a handful of bad encounters out riding; its usually someone who only thinks they're fast. Most of the actually fast guys I meet are understanding that people are out to have fun and learn.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO

And maybe you're that rare parent who understands that if you take a kid to an adult situation that he/she is going to be exposed to adult themes. Mind you, I don't agree with it, but its your choice as the parent. That being said, don't ask the adults who are there to change their ways, censor themselves, so on and so forth. Yes, it might be d-bag to go on an f-bomb rant, but like I said, its an adult sport. It used to be cost prohibitive to bring young kids out to stuff like this, but I guess everyone thinks their kid is the next Sam Hill.
Maybe you're special, (but I sincerely doubt that), and your money is better than everyone else's, entitling to you to act like an a$$ in public. But guess what? Kids aren't the only ones who don't need to be exposed to "adult" language and shenanigans. My wife and plenty of other adults that I know aren't so hot about hearing f bombs used as every other word, either. But maybe you don't have a very reliable switch for turning that off your jacka$$ery. In which case, it's a good thing you don't want kids...

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Maybe you're special, (but I sincerely doubt that), and your money is better than everyone else's, entitling to you to act like an a$$ in public. But guess what? Kids aren't the only ones who don't need to be exposed to "adult" language and shenanigans. My wife and plenty of other adults that I know aren't so hot about hearing f bombs used as every other word, either. But maybe you don't have a very reliable switch for turning that off your jacka$$ery. In which case, it's a good thing you don't want kids...
So if you, your wife, your kid, or your baby momma aren't fond of hearing the language that from time to time we use after a day of riding, don't be where we are. If you come into a place and expect that people who have been there before you are going to change to make you happy, you've got your head up your ass and you're teaching your kid a lesson that will not serve them well in life. I don't walk into a Mormon church or a day care and speak as I speak when I ride or when I have a few beers, but I would expect that you don't bring your kid or your wife around where we are.

Its an issue of respect. I see that's complicated for you as you think your kid is a small adult, your wife is entitled to only hear nice words, and you think that the world should change to fit your preferences. I won't come into your side of the park, you stay out of mine. Cross over, and expect the language foul, the body odor fouler, and the jokes crude.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Its an issue of respect. I see that's complicated for you as you think your kid is a small adult, your wife is entitled to only hear nice words, and you think that the world should change to fit your preferences. I won't come into your side of the park, you stay out of mine. Cross over, and expect the language foul, the body odor fouler, and the jokes crude.
Do you see the hypocrisy in this comment?

Maybe no one else has told you this, but dude, you are not the only person on this planet. Until you get your own private mountain, you need to play with other people. That includes kids, and sometimes it includes adults with sensitive ears.

Sorry if your childhood was somehow stolen from you but that doesn't mean you can make life miserable for everyone else in a sad play for attention.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA

Didn't you just make a thread bitching about people that keep their kids in a 'bubble'? Now you don't agree with parents exposing their kid to an 'adult situation' which for some reason you thinking riding a bicycle qualifies as? At least if you're gonna bitch just to hear yourself bitch, to be consistent, wouldja? And now you want your own little bubble where if you act like and asshole, nobody will look at you like you're an asshole? Deal with it. Nobody is stopping you from doing anything. Do what you feel like doing; if you've got a guilt problem about it, that's your own issue.

Make sure you watch this little kid ride. Come up with a good reason he shouldn't just because it puts you out of your little comfort zone to be on the same mountain with him.

And again, thinking that riding a bicycle is inherently an 'adult sport' is plain frigging stupid.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My 9yo daughter learned the F word from a 6 yo a few months ago. No big deal. She has ridden trails that Im sure some people on this forum would walk.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
That's Trent Delgripo's old bike right? That's the teammate that I mentioned in my post above. He wasn't big enough for a 26" bike but was seriously getting slowed by rocks so we put that fork on and later a 26" front wheel. The next year we got him on a small Trek Scratch Air and he did pretty well but was struggling to handle and shift weight around on such a big bike. This year he finally looks like he fits on the bike and can toss it around. Hence, why I said I'd wait till a kid comfortably fits a 7" bike before getting him into DHing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My 9yo daughter learned the F word from a 6 yo a few months ago. No big deal. She has ridden trails that Im sure some people on this forum would walk.
My son and I have had many a conversation about how he may hear some words from the other riders that he is not allowed to say/repeat/etc. Even at 6 he has shown enough maturity to understand that. I would think most people (except dirkmcdumbass) would have enough respect when they see a little kid out rippin' to try to watch their mouth at least a little.

If you aren't interested in other people's opinions then maybe you shouldn't ask for them. :rolleyes:
Just because I asked a question doesn't mean I have to like the opinion, I asked a simple question in response, who said I wasn't interested in the opinion? Ever played the game jump to conclusions? I know a lot of people who will ride a bike with less than 7" of travel and still rip down the hill. Saying you need certain equipment to enjoy a certain trail is stupid.

I really don't see why my 43 lb son needs anymore than a few inches of suspension to take the edge off, plus rolling on smaller wheels he learning to pick his bike up and over stuff (not yet of course he's too small) which should make him a better rider in the long run.

Man, when i was a kid we had one bike, a 20" bmx and we rode it everywhere, I wish I had known then I wasn't allowed to ride trails until I had a full DH bike.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
Haha - reading some of this is crazy... if the kids wanna do it, let them try it.

My youngest used to ride the trails here in Europe when he was 5... I used to ride behind him and my daughter... just to see that they were safe and yes there are a few cocks out there that think the trail is theirs and theirs only - we used to have fun on the blue runs so my argument used to be "if you think you are that good go ride the blacks and let me and the kids enjoy our day!"

I can not go riding with them anymore - they love riding bikes - my daughter is now leading the Junior World Cup and my youngest son is not doing to bad either:
[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/273073/[/video]

There has to be more stuff for the kids - as that weird pop star used to say "children are our future..."