Quantcast

Kids in downhill biking....your thoughts?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Wait - bike riding is supposed to be 'adult' time? You got things completely bass-ackwards there my man.
When we grown-ups rdie dirt, we're just imposters; the kids are the ones who actually own this ****. Unless of course you're one of those 'serious' riders, in which case, well, have fun being 'serious' about playing with an overpriced toy, but don't feel put out if some of us realize that biking, specially DH, is about as un-serious and childish an activity as there could possibly be (which is exactly why it's so fun) and want our kids to have as good a time as we're having.
Kids are welcome, on all fronts - lets open the door wider.

BUT - I have a HUGE problem with the above quoted.

NO - why is everything recreational or fun or that can be described as play somehow the domain of kids? I'm no imposter, I dont think you are either.

Riding bikes is not childish, nor is anything we choose to do once responsibilities are addressed, and I'm not deferring to some kid who has 40+ more years to go while I'm having ADULT fun, which doesn't include violence, foul language, or anything inappropriate.

Ramble summarized - NO, this is NOT for kids any more than it is for adults, when I see that attitude, I realize how many people forget to continue living and just start to exist when they 'become adults'

Boo.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Kids are welcome, on all fronts - lets open the door wider.

BUT - I have a HUGE problem with the above quoted.

NO - why is everything recreational or fun or that can be described as play somehow the domain of kids? I'm no imposter, I dont think you are either.

Riding bikes is not childish, nor is anything we choose to do once responsibilities are addressed, and I'm not deferring to some kid who has 40+ more years to go while I'm having ADULT fun, which doesn't include violence, foul language, or anything inappropriate.

Ramble summarized - NO, this is NOT for kids any more than it is for adults, when I see that attitude, I realize how many people forget to continue living and just start to exist when they 'become adults'

Boo.
Where except in McDick's imagination has anyone been asked to 'defer' in any way at all?

Playing with toys is childish. Not saying that it's a bad thing in any way, I do a lot of it myself. Being an 'adult' full time is way overrated.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I usually think that a little respect from both ways will go a long way to smooth out any differences. If a kid is close it isnt to hard to tone it down a bit and usually the amount of time a kid is close is not a lot by my experience. I guess it would be hard for those people that always want to be heard from across the room......... because as long as you are not shouting it will be hard to be heard by any kid that isnt in very close proximity and it is kind of the parents responsibility to keep track of their kid to not be in the company of strangers.

Of course kids should be able to be out on the mountain, they dont go any slower than any tourist on a rental. When it comes to skiing i would think you either have to race with gates or own your own mountain resort if you want to not be held up by tourists. The increase in space just makes it worse, it is mostly impossible to guess were a tourist will go next, they can go left, left, right, left, right, right etc. So in a way it is easier with dh, you just have to stop and wait for a moment then you can blaze on and stop again if you catch them. If you stop while skiing there will just be another hundred or so that will pass and be in the way, its like waiting for stream to stop flowing for you to be able to walk across with dry feet, it aint happening in high seasons.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Where except in McDick's imagination has anyone been asked to 'defer' in any way at all?

Playing with toys is childish. Not saying that it's a bad thing in any way, I do a lot of it myself. Being an 'adult' full time is way overrated.
Seriously? Is my car a toy? those for kids too? How about my workshop? Anything one enjoys as a hobby could be described as 'toys'. My bike is a hobby, a means to fitness and competiton, great enjoyment, friendships, travel, and can also be highly dangerous. It is only a toy in the vain of being a tool for fun. Being an adult means taking care of your responsibilities, respecting (and demanding respect from ) others, and IMO any more is your own view, and disappointing to see that kind of caste like attitude.

I'm atypically serious, and way off topic, but I really dislike the nonsense about childish toys you're portraying. I work my ass off to be able to afford to pursue my passion. I have paid in time, money and endured injury, to have someone belittle ANY sport or hobby as childish or the realm of kids from atop a pedestal of 'adulthood' nauseates me. Kids are extremely lucky to come from family that can afford to 'play' in this sport, but rarely do they enter the sport without the lead of a passionate adult.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Seriously? Is my car a toy? those for kids too? How about my workshop? Anything one enjoys as a hobby could be described as 'toys'. My bike is a hobby, a means to fitness and competiton, great enjoyment, friendships, travel, and can also be highly dangerous. It is only a toy in the vain of being a tool for fun. Being an adult means taking care of your responsibilities, respecting (and demanding respect from ) others, and IMO any more is your own view, and disappointing to see that kind of caste like attitude.

I'm atypically serious, and way off topic, but I really dislike the nonsense about childish toys you're portraying. I work my ass off to be able to afford to pursue my passion. I have paid in time, money and endured injury, to have someone belittle ANY sport or hobby as childish or the realm of kids from atop a pedestal of 'adulthood' nauseates me. Kids are extremely lucky to come from family that can afford to 'play' in this sport, but rarely do they enter the sport without the lead of a passionate adult.
Your car might be a toy. Depends on what it is and how you use it. For example, I've got a little car that I use to commute, and I've got a truck, for when I need a truck. Neither is a toy. But, I've also got an old Trans Am hiding in my garage that only comes out on sunny days. It is absolutely, 100% nothing other than a toy. If you're riding your bike for transportation cuz that's how you get around, then it's not a toy. Otherwise it is. I don't understand your defensiveness; I don't mean to 'belittle' anything. I've spent a lot of time over the past 20 years riding bikes in the dirt and building trails myself. Playing in the dirt IS childish. That's the enjoyment of it.

In the same vein, sometimes I take my son over to an an RC car track near us. Now, there're a lot of adults there, some of whom appear to take it pretty seriously. They spend thousands of dollars, compete, make friends, travel, and enjoy, just like we do with bikes. None of that changes the fact they are doing nothing more or less than playing with fancy toys. Just like mtbing. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but let's not go pretending what we do is anything more. It's not.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Your car might be a toy. Depends on what it is and how you use it. For example, I've got a little car that I use to commute, and I've got a truck, for when I need a truck. Neither is a toy. But, I've also got an old Trans Am hiding in my garage that only comes out on sunny days. It is absolutely, 100% nothing other than a toy. If you're riding your bike for transportation cuz that's how you get around, then it's not a toy. Otherwise it is. I don't understand your defensiveness; I don't mean to 'belittle' anything. I've spent a lot of time over the past 20 years riding bikes in the dirt and building trails myself. Playing in the dirt IS childish. That's the enjoyment of it.

In the same vein, sometimes I take my son over to an an RC car track near us. Now, there're a lot of adults there, some of whom appear to take it pretty seriously. They spend thousands of dollars, compete, make friends, travel, and enjoy, just like we do with bikes. None of that changes the fact they are doing nothing more or less than playing with fancy toys. Just like mtbing. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but let's not go pretending what we do is anything more. It's not.
So basically anything enjoyable is childish or a toy?

Adulthood means joyless toil?

I enjoy cooking a great deal, does that make my kitchen a playroom?

I have a problem with anyone ascribing pleasure to be the domain of children, and labeling or categorizing one or another activity as childish. There is ZERO difference between collecting stamps, cooking, riding bikes, mountain climbing, or whatever people derive their pleasure from.

You are effectively saying these things are for kids and we're the outsiders (literally, actually), when the reality is these are our hobbies we spur them into. Childish means "Of, Like, or appropriate to a child" or "Silly or Immature"; These are not qualities of DH, and if driving a TransAm agressively is the realm of children where you're from, I dont want to be anywhere near that.

I use my truck for transportation AND recreation, same for my bike; I am an 'IT professional' and make my living with my machines, but also enjoy them; I cook for fun, but also because I like, and need, to eat(!!)

Call it recreation, and I can concede to the term toys, but the notion of childish, or that these are for kids is way off base.

Kids are lucky to be involved, its absolutely our house and the little ones are welcome, but you've got it very twisted.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Thank you for moving away from the east coast! The kids and adults on the East Coast really appreciate it!
Oh Anne, why weren't you at VT on 4/17/2007?

I never liked you much, and now I remember why.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Wow, I think you might have to discuss this with your therapist. There is a ton of difference between those things.
Really? I think huck is right, a hobby is a hobby is a hobby. In that vein of thinking his statement is spot on. The word childish has negative connotations, and I agree that is a silly way to define any activity that one derives pleasure from.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Really? I think huck is right, a hobby is a hobby is a hobby. In that vein of thinking his statement is spot on. The word childish has negative connotations, and I agree that is a silly way to define any activity that one derives pleasure from.
Bingo.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I see both of your guys points. But riding my bike isn't childish, nor is playing with my RC truck, nor is wakeboarding or snowboarding.

I developed those hobbies as a child, or a teen, and re-kindled them as an adult. It takes me back to my youth or my childhood, but they are not childish hobbies. some of them make me feel like a kid again, some of them are just fun, but again, none of them are childish.

In that regard I agree with Huck, they are not childish hobbies. I think maybe what sbabuser is trying to say is that these types of hobbies that are a lot of fun, that many people did as a child (though maybe not to the degree we do them now) take us back to the joy we had as a child before we had major responsibilities, the stresses of full time jobs, raising our own children, and paying all of our bills.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My personal belief is that what we adults call hobbies are essentially trying to capture or recreate (recreation?) the amazing experiences that we had as kids. Every time I was in the start gate at a DH race I acted as serious (to a point, ie singing DIO to JonKranked) as possible, but I still felt like a kid going down the start hill of my 1st BMX race at age 12. Nervous but excited at the same time.

I also find myself experiencing this yet again with my 5 year old who is getting into BMX - he's trying to get over his fears of what he perceives to be uncontrolled speed of rolling down a big blacktop hill into a tabletop that throws him in the air a bit. At the same time, he's thrilled to death with it.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
When I say 'childish', I mean it without any negative connotations. Maybe it's not the perfect choice semantically, but the point is that mt biking boils down to playing with toys. Seeing how serious some people take themselves when they're rolling around on their toys is laughable. And taking a further step and saying to other people "you can't play with your toy here because I play with my toy like an asshole and that's the way I wanna play with it and I 'm not willing to share the sandbox" is ****ing lame. And incredibly childish, in the negative way.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
When I say 'childish', I mean it without any negative connotations. Maybe it's not the perfect choice semantically, but the point is that mt biking boils down to playing with toys. Seeing how serious some people take themselves when they're rolling around on their toys is laughable. And taking a further step and saying to other people "you can't play with your toy here because I play with my toy like an asshole and that's the way I wanna play with it and I 'm not willing to share the sandbox" is ****ing lame. And incredibly childish, in the negative way.
So you are the toy police that enforces fun and gives ticket to everyone who is serious about their hobby? What's the differance between you and the guys who want to make everything serious?

To be honest why do we even have this discussion? The term childish is idiotic anyway. It's better to have fun all your life and be called a child than do the right thing and then go on a mental mid life crisis when you are 40. If I am enjoying myself and not hurting anyone in the proces and don't give a damn if you find my way of enjoying riding childish.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Agreeable. I do refer to my toolbox as a toybox...

And anyone can play in my sandbox as long as they're not smelly or mean.

:D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Here are a few pics of my 9yo daughter at Silver Star this year. She has a bell on her bike... so next year when she catches you at a BC resort and you hear her bell, please pull over and let her pass. ;)

Skills park.

And here is a pic with her mom.

This 661 jacket was new this year.

Did I mention she will be a junior BLACK belt by the age of 10yo. She has one more belt to go.

Last edited:

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
So you are the toy police that enforces fun and gives ticket to everyone who is serious about their hobby? What's the differance between you and the guys who want to make everything serious?

To be honest why do we even have this discussion? The term childish is idiotic anyway. It's better to have fun all your life and be called a child than do the right thing and then go on a mental mid life crisis when you are 40. If I am enjoying myself and not hurting anyone in the proces and don't give a damn if you find my way of enjoying riding childish.
You should probably try a little re-reading.

I'm not the one saying that people shouldn't be allowed to play cuz they don't play exactly the way I do. Do I think that you shouldn't be allowed to ride just because you might be one of those guys that gets all huffy and throws your bike when playtime doesn't go your way, or gets all spun up into a cursing rage cuz when your toy gets dinged up, or if somebody else wants to share the sandbox when you think it should belong to you and you alone? No. That's only coming from people that take themselves way too seriously. Besides, those guys serve as a great example for me to point out what a 'tool' is to my kid, so he knows how not to act.

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Please elaborate on how any one of my examples differs from another in this vain.
I wasn't being serious, but if you insist: reflexes, flexibility, fearlessness - just a few of the things that diminish as you age. Those are the difference between adult hobbies and sports that favor the young.

And although I would love to have an RC car again (I sold mine to help cover the cost of a bike that was stolen when I was 15), it's a kinda tough arguing that it's not childish. Strap a Storm TrooperTM to the roof and lets hit some jumps! :D

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Here are a few pics of my 9yo daughter at Silver Star this year. She has a bell on her bike... so next year when she catches you at a BC resort and you hear her bell, please pull over and let her pass. ;)

Skills park.

And here is a pic with her mom.

This 661 jacket was new this year.

Did I mention she will be a junior BLACK belt by the age of 10yo. She has one more belt to go.
Kennedy is so rad!

Xander ditched the shorter fork he originally had on his bike and asked to re-install the marzochi it came with, I took your advice and pulled the spring out, works great.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kennedy is so rad!

Xander ditched the shorter fork he originally had on his bike and asked to re-install the marzochi it came with, I took your advice and pulled the spring out, works great.
You wont need the spring until he weighs about 90 lbs. I think Im going to put a Lyric Air DH 170mm on the bike next year or a front 26" wheel. The bike has limited ground clearance and she hits pedals a lot. I dont want to swap shorter cranks on it because by next year the 165 will work better for her. She has long legs.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
You wont need the spring until he weighs about 90 lbs. I think Im going to put a Lyric Air DH 170mm on the bike next year or a front 26" wheel. The bike has limited ground clearance and she hits pedals a lot. I dont want to swap shorter cranks on it because by next year the 165 will work better for her. She has long legs.
You aren't kidding, xander wrecked hard earlier in the year because of a clipped rock and he's running 140 or 145 cranks. I also plan a 26"wheel and fork when he's older and taller

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

1st place 12 and under at local bootleg DH race amongst friends.

Trophy collecting at the bmx track.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My son doesn't wear much armor currently. He wears the neck brace, but that is it, his moto pants have some small hip pads....I'm thinking I really should get him a flak jacket and some knee shin protection.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Nice!

Couple from Sunday River last season...

View attachment 111994

View attachment 111995
So RAD!!

I wish there were more kids into DH, would any of you guys with kids 12 and under be up for a kids trip somewhere next season? I'm in Michigan, so travel super far is $$ but maybe if there are a few of us on the east coast, or if I can swing a trip towards the west that's within reasonable driving distance we could figure something out....

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
So RAD!!

I wish there were more kids into DH, would any of you guys with kids 12 and under be up for a kids trip somewhere next season? I'm in Michigan, so travel super far is $$ but maybe if there are a few of us on the east coast, or if I can swing a trip towards the west that's within reasonable driving distance we could figure something out....
Hmmm, not a bad idea. If I can make a suggestion, believe it or not, Whiteface might have the best set of options: big mountain lift, shuttled intermediate to beginner options, pump track at mid station, dirt jump & pump track in town for free, XC trails connected to the bike park. Plus, there is a good amount of outdoorsy 'kid stuff' to do around there. Highland might also be an option as well.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hmmm, not a bad idea. If I can make a suggestion, believe it or not, Whiteface might have the best set of options: big mountain lift, shuttled intermediate to beginner options, pump track at mid station, dirt jump & pump track in town for free, XC trails connected to the bike park. Plus, there is a good amount of outdoorsy 'kid stuff' to do around there. Highland might also be an option as well.
You guys are bringing the Uncle out of me. Now Im going to have to aggressively influence the nephews (& niece) to get ta braaaapin'!!

lulz

Now if we could just convince more super-models to ride...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Is whiteface the mountain that posted earlier in this thread stating how they specifically are catering to kids? If so I also believe that's a mountain high on my fiance's list of places she'd like to visit next summer. Depending on the operating hours of their chairs I could see us spending a long weekend or short week out there.

I'm liking this option.

I'd be more than happy to "organize" something and work with the mountain as well.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Though Downhill Mike might not agree, we dug the accommodations at Mountain Brooke Lodge in Wilmington - dead center from the mountain and pump track (with Santa's Workshop just down the road as well). They're very kid friendly, kitschy in an Adirondack way (lots of pine/taxidermy) and have an OK breakfast set up for free. I have a little pull there. EDIT: military discounts there also.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just took my 9yo to Trestle for his first lift day.
Best DH day ever.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Chad: went to the race at crystal mtn today. Lots of fun. The downside was that they would not let my 9 year old ride the beginner trails off the lift. You could ride a road bike down them but the minimum age is 13. Anyway, at least the lift ops were cool and comped a couple extra alpine slide rides.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Chad: went to the race at crystal mtn today. Lots of fun. The downside was that they would not let my 9 year old ride the beginner trails off the lift. You could ride a road bike down them but the minimum age is 13. Anyway, at least the lift ops were cool and comped a couple extra alpine slide rides.
How was the race? Unfortunately I can't make a single date they picked this year...and now I won't waste my time since I can't take my son. We'll stick to Boyne highlands for local Dh.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Though Downhill Mike might not agree, we dug the accommodations at Mountain Brooke Lodge in Wilmington - dead center from the mountain and pump track (with Santa's Workshop just down the road as well). They're very kid friendly, kitschy in an Adirondack way (lots of pine/taxidermy) and have an OK breakfast set up for free. I have a little pull there. EDIT: military discounts there also.
Have you been up to H-land in the last couple seasons? Just wondering how W-face compares for varity of beginner stuff. Most of H-land trails aren't much more tech-y than a BMX track, so it's great for kids.