Kids or No Kids?

what your thoughts on having children?

• Total voters

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
narlus said:
because....why? my wife and i consciously wanted a smaller gap between our two. two years seemed about perfect. my brother's 4 years older than me, and there was definitely a difference in our relationship as he got older (ie, into high school) which didn't restore itself until after i was out of college.
Again, I just think there is so much to see and do the first 3 years that you loose some of that if there is another in the mix. Not to say kids are screwed, because I have 4 sisters and a brother all about 12 to 18 months apart minus the 6 year gap before me (I was the "oops" baby). They are all well adjusted and we all get along well, but it's also not the norm for big families either.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jimmydean said:
My kids are 14 years apart and it's perfect. I had one finish High School and one start Pre School the year after.
Guess what? Our kids are much closer and you know what - it's perfect. :p
<snip>
This is only being able to compare her to kids in her class and friends who have kids her age. She may just be plain smarter than other kids
That's what it is with my kids. ;)

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
amydalayna said:
everytime i see the teeny tiny kids at the bmx track ripping i think that kids might not be all bad.
I can relate to that feeling but it's never strong enough to pull the trigger, so to speak. I've always seen myself as the 'rich uncle' so I'm shooting for that. The uncle part is taken care of. My nephew seems to dig bikes so I just need to make sure I swoop in and take him to a bmx track before his dad takes him to a football game or the golf course.

My neighbor put parenthood rather succinctly: "The good definitely outweighs the bad, but there's extreme amounts of both."

This subject came up in "MudHunnies" a while back. This is one of my favorite videos on the subject:
http://clusterfunction.com/video/ninapaleydotcom/Stork/StorkFinalSorensen.mov

For the more hardcore, anti-child people, there's this site that has some interesting points:
http://vhemt.org/

I think the thread in the MudHunnies pretty much summed it up as being situationally great or sucky and if you wait 'til you're 'ready', you never will be.
I think that a decent financial plan and no debt should be requirements.

I got a chuckle over something Steven Wright said, "The only kind of father I see myself being is a step-father".
It's always been a good comeback to nosey friends and family who think it's their business to ask, "when are you having kids?"
"Invisible Man" has a pretty good comeback as well but it's pretty evil and should only be used in an emergency.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Qman said:
<snip>
It's always been a good comeback to nosey friends and family who think it's their business to ask, "when are you having kids?"
"Invisible Man" has a pretty good comeback as well but it's pretty evil and should only be used in an emergency.
I'm always perplexed by people who think people without children should have them.

I personally think that nobody should have kids unless they're 100% committed to the idea. For everyone's sake.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
I'm always perplexed by people who think people without children should have them.

I personally think that nobody should have kids unless they're 100% committed to the idea. For everyone's sake.

Agreed. There'd probably be a lot less foster kids waiting for adoption if parents were 100% committed to the idea to begin with.
I've got some friends that can't have kids and they're 'fostering to adopt' their second boy. Apparently the family that gave him up already has 6 kids and he was #7 and they just decided they couldn't do 7.

How effed up is that?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
If that was the case then no one would have kids.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
SkaredShtles said:

My favorite is when people tell me I'm selfish for not wanting children. I have yet to be able to see the reasoning behind this one :confused:

I will admit that I'm also scared to death what the offspring of myself and Freak would be....I shudder to even think what how crazy the little red-headed freaks would be!!! I remember what I was like as a child and I marvel at the fact that my mother had the patience to deal with me at times. I know I don't have that kind of patience, nor do I have any desire to develop it. I am perfectly happy being the cool Aunt who will send the most obnoxious toys and gifts possible, and who will fill them full of candy and soda and then send 'em back home to mom and dad :D :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Velocity Girl said:
My favorite is when people tell me I'm selfish for not wanting children. I have yet to be able to see the reasoning behind this one :confused:
my guess (and this feeling is not endorsed by me; people should have full freedom to lead they lives they want to) is that people say this from a resource perspective. it's been clearly stated in this thread that kids take up personal time, and cost money. ergo, if you don't want to share those resources, then you must be selfish.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My neighbor is a foster family with 6 (or more, not sure exact numbers) out of control pre-teen male monsters. All from very messed up families and most with good meth backgrounds.

I agree 100% with SS on the idea of planned families. I mean planned from the standpoint of knowing what your getting into from all angles. Not planned in the sense of "I want a baby, they are so cute" angle.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
potential N8 family activities:

ok kids, get in the car. we are going:

1) to the martini bar
2) to the rush limbaugh book signing
3) to the 29" fondlefest
4) to go shopping for metrosexual clothing or eyeglasses
5) to the festival of concrete pouring

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Velocity Girl said:
Misery loves company. :p

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:

1) to the martini bar
3) to the 29" fondlefest

HAHAHAA.....

.... ouch.

:mad:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Velocity Girl said:
Yet another piece of data indicating most people are retarded.

<snip> I am perfectly happy being the cool Aunt who will send the most obnoxious toys and gifts possible, and who will fill them full of candy and soda and then send 'em back home to mom and dad :D :D
That's actually a pretty cool role. My mom just inherited a bunch of money from her aunt (died at 98) who was a dear old lady.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jimmydean said:
<snip>
I agree 100% with SS on the idea of planned families. I mean planned from the standpoint of knowing what your getting into from all angles. Not planned in the sense of "I want a baby, they are so cute" angle.
Yeah. Having kids because they're cute is retarded. I mean - look at teenagers. They're a *homely* bunch.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ciaran said:
Misery loves company. :p
there is no denying the fact that as a married w/ kids person, i do occasionally envy the personal freedom which having no kids avails. but that said, as SS pointed out, this shouldn't be news to you as a parent, unless you can afford a fulltime nanny.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
narlus said:

1) to the martini bar
3) to the 29" fondlefest
Nice but you forgot

6) Shopping for large pieces of contemporary furniture and new beds

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
jimmydean said:
My neighbor is a foster family with 6 (or more, not sure exact numbers) out of control pre-teen male monsters. All from very messed up families and most with good meth backgrounds.

Yep. Unfortunately (in WA at least) the more foster kids you take in, the more money the state gives you so many people abuse the system because they're too lazy to work and the kids end up worse off than they were to start with. Pretty sad.
http://www.vhemt.org/whybreed1.pdf
http://www.vhemt.org/whybreed2.pdf

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm 36 and no kids in sight. I have always felt that I will have kids at some point but so far I haven't felt a strong enough urge to make it happen. My girl feels the same way.

As for it being selfish to not want kids, I think it's true to an extent, but there are some people who recognize they are not responsible enough - maybe not enough. Also, it's funny that no one has mentioned over-population - to some extent it's selfish to bring more kids into the world. If you've ever seen projections it's pretty scary, especially considering longer life spans. The earth is going to be full pretty quick.

(Oh man did that sound like Knuck? :help: )

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i want a kid. not now...not for a long while, like when i am stable financially, but i want a kid. name will either be Nikolai or Evelyn. i want to be a dad like manimal.

Mandi, on the other hand, she goes back and forth regarding kids, and that's annoying as hell. if she doesn't want a kid, i really see no future between us, and that's something that will be figured out before i go looking for a ring.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
I like kids. We have 3, ages 4.5, 3.5, and 11 months. All boys. It's great!

We'd probably have more if the prospect of increased mayhem didn't dissuade us. :D
N8 said:
Jesus H Christ... what do y'all do for fun?:D

I think that is pretty obvious...and they have the trophies to show for it!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
I'm 36 and no kids in sight. I have always felt that I will have kids at some point but so far I haven't felt a strong enough urge to make it happen. My girl feels the same way.

As for it being selfish to not want kids, I think it's true to an extent, but there are some people who recognize they are not responsible enough - maybe not enough. Also, it's funny that no one has mentioned over-population - to some extent it's selfish to bring more kids into the world. If you've ever seen projections it's pretty scary, especially considering longer life spans. The earth is going to be full pretty quick.

(Oh man did that sound like Knuck? :help: )
most of that growth is likely coming from Asia and Africa though; i think the birth rate for developed nations is not that strong (america is a noticeable abberation but still well under the developing countries...the data i recall had europe as neutral or even shrinking). however, an average American uses much more energy/resources as an average, say, Indonesian.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spending 6 months of the year on the road I don't know how I'd have the time for kids, even a wife or GF at this point. I'm working on the problem now though, I have 3 informal internal job offers that will include less travel. Hoping to have one clinched by the end of the week.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah yes...children. I have a daughter that's 4 1/2 and a son due on Jan. 17th. My daughter was not planned by any stretch of the imagination, but she is by far the best thing that has ever happened to me and I can't imagine my life without her. Hopefully B2 will just double the fun! I'll let you know in a couple months... :dead:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
bluebug32 said:
Nice but you forgot

6) Shopping for large pieces of contemporary furniture and new beds

Good call!!!! :D

We dragged MizN8's poor son all over Alpha Street in Dallas for a day looking at stuff...

However, he did get a day at Six Flags some months earlier but he didn't know there was gonna be a price to pay... :p

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Anyone else have kids when they were young? I was 21 when my daughter was born. Yes, she was intentional.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Anyone else have kids when they were young? I was 21 when my daughter was born. Yes, it was intentional.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
not that i know of.
My wife and I are on the fence about having another kid. She enjoys being my daughter's step mom, but she wants a baby of her own. I want a baby, but I'm also looking at having no kids around when I'm 40.

Hm.

:think:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
narlus said:
my guess (and this feeling is not endorsed by me; people should have full freedom to lead they lives they want to) is that people say this from a resource perspective. it's been clearly stated in this thread that kids take up personal time, and cost money. ergo, if you don't want to share those resources, then you must be selfish.
Yup...I think it's all about the perspective of where the comment is coming from. One could argue that the reasons behind wanting a child are "selfish" also because you don't NEED a child, it's something you WANT. With some folks I don't think they'll ever see the other side of the story.

And here's another one that grinds me...."Oh just wait, you'll change your mind" Hearing comments like that makes me that much more set in my resolve not to have them because then my kids would have to grow up and deal with arrogant jacka**es like yourself who assume you know what's best for me and my family!!! LOL!!!