Quantcast

Kids or No Kids?

what your thoughts on having children?

• Total voters

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have no desire to right now, but we may address the issue again in a few years. I really can't see us changing our minds though, and we are not getting any younger.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
We have no desire to right now, but we may address the issue again in a few years. I really can't see us changing our minds though, and we are not getting any younger.

..and the idea of having a teenager on your hands when you are 60 years old sucks!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My wife and I keep telling ourselves that it is "way too early to say at this point in our lives" We've only been married 2.5 years and we're having too much fun together. Note that I am 33 and my wife is 35. Hopefully when we finally do settle down it won't be too late.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
..and the idea of having a teenager on your hands when you are 60 years old sucks!
That is one consideration, but not at the top of the list. We just really enjoy our lifestyle and having a kid would change it completely.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
N8 said:
Watch it there.... that's close to what I'll be facing.

Wife is just starting out in her career so it'll be a while before we have kids. Its fine for her b/c she just turned 28... But I'm 34. She wants to wait until she is 33+, so I'll be 40 before we have any kids.

Makes me think that maybe we won't, especially since I hear they screw with the amount of time you get to go biking...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
my husband and i go back and forth about having kids 5 yrs from now.
i'm on the 'NO' side. i like my time and my money. and i don't really like the idea of being pregnant.
things change though.

everytime i see the teeny tiny kids at the bmx track ripping i think that kids might not be all bad. but with my luck my kid would be a lazy fatso.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
Watch it there.... that's close to what I'll be facing.

Wife is just starting out in her career so it'll be a while before we have kids. Its fine for her b/c she just turned 28... But I'm 34. She wants to wait until she is 33+, so I'll be 40 before we have any kids.

Makes me think that maybe we won't, especially since I hear they screw with the amount of time you get to go biking...
That's about where I am. The wife is about to go get a teaching cred and will of course want to teach for a while before having any kids. This means no kids until we're 36 at least. By that time it may be too late for us. We really really don't want to have teenagers when we are 50+. So for us it looks like no kids.

On the one hand we are a little sad that we'll likely never get to have a kid of our own to ruin, but we'll also never have to save for college, beat up teen boys (if it's a girl), have to find a sitter so we can go out, or change a dirty diaper. We'll also have more time and money to travel and see the world.

Sure kids bring joy into your life and all that but kids are not a necessity to a happy and fulfilling life. Personally I can take em or leave em.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ciaran said:
That's about where I am. The wife is about to go get a teaching cred and will of course want to teach for a while before having any kids. This means no kids until we're 36 at least. By that time it may be too late for us. We really really don't want to have teenagers when we are 50+. So for us it looks like no kids.

On the one hand we are a little sad that we'll likely never get to have a kid of our own too ruin, but we'll also never have to save for college, beat up teen boys (if it's a girl), have to find a sitter so we can go out, or change a dirty diaper. We'll also have more time and money to travel and see the world.

Sure kids bring joy into your life and all that but kids are not a necessity to a happy life. Personally I can take em or leave em.

You can always adopt a 17 year old swedish girl.....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
I like kids. We have 3, ages 4.5, 3.5, and 11 months. All boys. It's great!

We'd probably have more if the prospect of increased mayhem didn't dissuade us. :D

Jesus H Christ... what do y'all do for fun?

:angry:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've never really wanted them and the older I get, the less chance I see of that changing. I prefer my kids to have 4 legs, fur, and a limited vocabulary of "woof".

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Nope, never. I'm lucky to have found someone that feels the same way:)

I'm happy being an aunt for the rest of my life:love:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
kidwoo said:
Pit them against one another with sharp objects.

Last one standing gets dinner.
build yr own Lord of the Flies arena.

wrestling w/ my boys is a lot of fun (for now; they will kick my butt in few years).

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Absolutely never. There is way too much I want to do with my life, between getting an advanced degree, having a career, philanthropy work, and traveling the world... definitely not happening for this chicky! I figure if I have any major regret much later on, there is always adoption.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd like to have a kid at some point. If it happens it will be later in life. I feel bad for the kids if I have them. I get crankier and meaner as time goes by.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a daughter and my wife has a son that I help raise, but we are having no more. I think you should not have kids until you are at least 25 and that no 2 people should have more than 2 kids, maybe a 3rd if you are very well off and it does not cause issues.

Also, kids that are less than 3 years apart are trouble.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jimmydean said:
<snip> I think you should not have kids until you are at least 25 and that no 2 people should have more than 2 kids, maybe a 3rd if you are very well off and it does not cause issues.
You know what they say about opinions. :rolleyes:

Again, YMMV. Our first two were 15 months apart and it's great. They can pretty much do everything together. Which is mostly a good thing, but can sometimes be a curse. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jimmydean said:
because....why? my wife and i consciously wanted a smaller gap between our two. two years seemed about perfect. my brother's 4 years older than me, and there was definitely a difference in our relationship as he got older (ie, into high school) which didn't restore itself until after i was out of college.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
You know what they say about opinions. :rolleyes:

Again, YMMV. Our first two were 15 months apart and it's great. They can pretty much do everything together. Which is mostly a good thing, but can sometimes be a curse. :D
My kids are 14 years apart and it's perfect. I had one finish High School and one start Pre School the year after.

It just seems that kids too close in age stiffle each others learning. My daughter grew up with what seemed to be 3 adults in the house and you can see how advanced she is in social situations. She plays well with other kids, but she also got 100% of our attention the first 3 years and I would argue that it made a HUGE difference.

This is only being able to compare her to kids in her class and friends who have kids her age. She may just be plain smarter than other kids, but I think a lot of it came from not having another to compete with.