Kids or No Kids?

what your thoughts on having children?

• Total voters

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Velocity Girl said:
Yup...I think it's all about the perspective of where the comment is coming from. One could argue that the reasons behind wanting a child are "selfish" also because you don't NEED a child, it's something you WANT. With some folks I don't think they'll ever see the other side of the story.

And here's another one that grinds me...."Oh just wait, you'll change your mind" Hearing comments like that makes me that much more set in my resolve not to have them because then my kids would have to grow up and deal with arrogant jacka**es like yourself who assume you know what's best for me and my family!!! LOL!!!
For sure!:rolleyes: I had a lady I work with shocked because I wasn't having kids. She ask 'Who is going to take of you when your old?'.....Like that is a reason to have a kid?:rolleyes: Dude, have you seen Super Nanny or any of those crazy shows?!?!?:nopity: I'll take owning an animal over that stress any day of the week:)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
H8R said:
My wife and I are on the fence about having another kid. She enjoys being my daughter's step mom, but she wants a baby of her own. I want a baby, but I'm also looking at having no kids around when I'm 40.

Hm.

:think:
My wife had her son when she was 17 (no, not on purpose) and had the same thoughts a year after we were together (her son was 13). She raised him up to 13 nearly all alone, but he and I have a great relationship. So she and I decided to have one of our own.

At times we wish we hadn't because with the older out of the house and on his own, we could be done and empty nesters. But I wouldn't give up my daughter for all the beer in the world.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
in the future i think ill want two kids. for all i know i could have a handful of illegitimate children scattered all across the world. :p

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Snacks said:
For sure!:rolleyes: I had a lady I work with shocked because I wasn't having kids. She ask 'Who is going to take of you when your old?'.....Like that is a reason to have a kid?:rolleyes: Dude, have you seen Super Nanny or any of those crazy shows?!?!?:nopity: I'll take owning an animal over that stress any day of the week:)
Hehehe...those shows are the best form of birth control currently available!!!!

I've also heard people make that point which I agree is kinda silly. What if the kids die before them? Or hate them and never speak to them again? Kinda blows that theory out the window.

splat

Nam I am
I have a 9 and 11 year old , and the y are the best thing that ever happened to me. But it was more my wife who really pushed to have them. I would have waited saying i was not ready. (I was never going to say I was Ready ). But once I had 1 I did not want to have an only child and wanted them about 2 years apart. ( they are 25 Months a part, not bad for plannijng sake eh ? ) But only in the last few years have I seen where the payback is.

With My Parents getting older and my farther my father beinbg sick for several years before he Passed . I was able to see how much my mother relied on us kids for support. and then last year seeing my 98 year old Aunt, who had no kids get ill , and we were the only family she had. ( she was in NYC us up in Boston) and she did not get many visitors , fortunatly someone was able to get down there , when she passed away .

and also when you can get out there and ride with you Kid , it kicks Ass! :thumb:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Velocity Girl said:
I will admit that I'm also scared to death what the offspring of myself and Freak would be....I shudder to even think what how crazy the little red-headed freaks would be!!!
I appluad your decision. More Ginger Kids are the last thing this world needs. Anyways, to help you out, I ran your potential children through the ole' computer. Here's what the boy would look like:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
most of that growth is likely coming from Asia and Africa though; i think the birth rate for developed nations is not that strong (america is a noticeable abberation but still well under the developing countries...the data i recall had europe as neutral or even shrinking). however, an average American uses much more energy/resources as an average, say, Indonesian.
I don't feel that strongly about this but here is some information on an interesting "movement":

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/nov/05111606.html

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
H8R said:
Anyone else have kids when they were young? I was 21 when my daughter was born. Yes, it was intentional.
I was 26 for #1. That's not real young, but I'm still young enough now and he's away at college, other one is going soon.

Some peers of ours ( same age) finally decided to have a kid a couple of years ago. I could help it, had to say, "That's nice, yours will be entering kindergarter when ours are graduating high school.

Ready? There is never "ready". Just do it, or don't.

geargrrl

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have one and should have another within the next 365 days....kids are great....my son (14yo) sometimes lurks here but I'm pretty strict on his internet access....D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i'd like to vote twice. i say no never, but i also think its way to early to tell. right now, i never want kids, ever ever ever. who knows how i'll feel when i'm done with school, working and feeling more settled.
right now, no way, never, ever, ever.

ever.

never.

rcoh

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
I am 27 & have 7 month old twin boys. They were unplanned & honestly I thought I would never have kids. It is a lot of work & worry, they were 13 weeks early & every now & again I get a case of 'the grass is greener' but any negative thoughts disappear when they smile or laugh at you.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
I wonder if there is any way to setup a poll in which anyone under 20 can't participate......... :think:

no it should be immature users shouldnt be able to participate

but seriously, have a kid if you want to, make sure you can financially afford it and if you both are for it, do it because as far as I know, having a kid is one of the greatest feelings in the world. you can mold them into something cool. like stretch armstrong

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
N8 said:
Our kids are 12 and we are counting the days till we can get them in college and outta here!
I really hope my parents are nothing like you. Have you ever taken into consideration that your kids love you, and it would break their heart to hear you talking this way, or do you think only of yourself? You should be fvcking ashamed.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Silver said:
I appluad your decision. More Ginger Kids are the last thing this world needs. Anyways, to help you out, I ran your potential children through the ole' computer. Here's what the boy would look like:

i still can't believe how ****ing huge that guy is. if i use 1800COLLECT will i look like that?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I was 23 when my oldest was born, her mom was 20. We were the classic case of why breeding should require a permit.

Despite the fact we were kids, and of course had to split up because that is what kids do when faced with reality, my oldest is a gem. She has come through the blended family saga quite well. She is blessed.

My two youngest are six and four. They are out of control. I was 29 when the six year old was born and wife was 30. That was a good time for us. My wife was established in her teaching career and I was mosttly grown up...

I suggest waiting a few years before having kids after you are married. It's a big deal.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
Yup...I think it's all about the perspective of where the comment is coming from. One could argue that the reasons behind wanting a child are "selfish" also because you don't NEED a child, it's something you WANT. With some folks I don't think they'll ever see the other side of the story.
I get so friggin irritated when people say we're being selfish. How is NOT wanting the responsibility selfish? Who are we being selfish to? And how is having a kid being unselfish? People are dumb.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
I get so friggin irritated when people say we're being selfish. How is NOT wanting the responsibility selfish? Who are we being selfish to? And how is having a kid being unselfish? People are dumb.

The poeple who are calling you 'selfish' are either disgrunteled parents or your parents...

:p

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
N8 said:
The poeple who are calling you 'selfish' are either disgrunteled parents or your parents...

:p
my mom says i am being selfish for not wanting kids. i tell her she's living in the 1800's. i'm not going to feel like i am obligated to have a child because i have a functioning reproductive system. she thinks my reasons for not wanting kids are selfish. Ie. i'd rather have a little extra money in the bank, be able to travel, and retire early. there's two sides to that coin though. wanting a kid is comparable to wanting early retirement and travel. its both want. i'm just prioritizing.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
laura said:
my mom says i am being selfish for not wanting kids. i tell her she's living in the 1800's. i'm not going to feel like i am obligated to have a child because i have a functioning reproductive system. she thinks my reasons for not wanting kids are selfish. Ie. i'd rather have a little extra money in the bank, be able to travel, and retire early. there's two sides to that coin though. wanting a kid is comparable to wanting early retirement and travel. its both want. i'm just prioritizing.

It's a double edged sword... the sooner you have kids the better chance you have to retire early, the longer you wait the longer you have to work to support them... uuuuggg...

:(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
laura said:
There is no such thing as a selfish reason for not wanting kids.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
N8 said:
It's a double edged sword... the sooner you have kids the better chance you have to retire early, the longer you wait the longer you have to work to support them... uuuuggg...

:(
Of course if you don't have any kids you'll get to retire even earlier.

geargrrl said:
So, are all you "never evers" making it permanent?
We don't allow sharp objects that close to the junk. There are other methods of birth control besides surgery. I've been having sex for about 18 years or so and I haven't gotten anyone pregnant. Not because I was lucky, because I played it safe.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
post those tattoos pics again. :)
Better nip this one in the bud...

I have NO tattoos on my junk... REPEAT: No tats on the junk!

(we make exceptions to the no sharp objects rule to allow razors)