Quantcast

Kids pedals?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
My seven yr old son has a little Trek 20" 6 spd MTB. He rides pretty well but has a problem with his feet slipping off the plastic pedals, especially if they get wet. Any suggestions on pedals that will provide more grip but will not destroy his shins if he does slip a pedal?

If he does DH type stuff he does wear shin guards, but I would rather not switch pedals around for normal trail and neighborhood riding.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i've seen people drill and tap allen head bolts into plastic pedals pretty frequently. definitely a cheap, simple but time consuming fix.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got these off ebay and they are super light. My daughter has hit them on rocks pretty hard and they have held up. There are 2 pins on the outside that help with grip.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Plastic BMX pedals? You could even run down to a local skate shop and ask for scrap grip tape, and adhere it to the pedal for extra grip.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
What's he wear on his feet? Maybe the cheap pedals would work OK with good shoes. I'd hate to see my kid get her shin shredded by her pedals.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
He's in DC skate shoes, albeit a little worn, but at his age riding specific shoes would be unrealistic...he would want to wear them all the time.

Kntr: Thanks, I figured you or manimal might have some suggestions. I've seen some stuff (welgo) on ebay as well I just have to verify the thread size.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
He's in DC skate shoes, albeit a little worn, but at his age riding specific shoes would be unrealistic...he would want to wear them all the time.

Kntr: Thanks, I figured you or manimal might have some suggestions. I've seen some stuff (welgo) on ebay as well I just have to verify the thread size.
The DC's are probably better than my daughter's iCarly riding shoes. :D