Quantcast

Kill all ads with this file

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it was sent to me by a very qualified computer geek guy, so my guess it that it does work. how well, I don't know....too 'busy' to deal with it right now....:)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i do hosts file blocking :) . it works.

The link you posted is the actual hosts file, this link is to an instructions page with an installer and manual instructions for those who want to do it that way.

Another link for you

I just ran the thing and it seems to be working. Pages are loading faster now also, I'm guessing because the browser isn't waiting for slow-ass ad hosts.

Note: it does not block pop-ups. It may block the content of the pop-up but you will need to do other things to block pop-ups and messenger generated crap.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Psychic_Pimp said:
The link you posted is the actual hosts file, this link is to an instructions page with an installer and manual instructions for those who want to do it that way.

Another link for you

I just ran the thing and it seems to be working. Pages are loading faster now also, I'm guessing because the browser isn't waiting for slow-ass ad hosts.

Note: it does not block pop-ups. It may block the content of the pop-up but you will need to do other things to block pop-ups and messenger generated crap.
Sorry to ruin this topic however I found a great program for buying a house using the information you linked me to. Our first class is Monday.

How does the ad stopper work?

I'll probably get jumped on by the more techy geeks for simplifying this but...

When you type in a URL the browser needs to translate it to an IP address before the page can be located and downloaded. Similarly, when a web page has ads in it, the code often refers to a URL which must be translated to a URL so that the ad content can be loaded and displayed in the page.

Your computer translates URLs to IP addresses by first looking for a local hosts file for a reference, then going out to the 'net for a DNS server if nothing is found locally. In this hosts file all the ad URLs are linked to 127.0.0.1 which is the loop-back IP address. No matter what the IP address of your NIC is, this address will always tell the computer that the file is on your computer. Host or file not at that IP address? Code ignored, no ad.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Psychic_Pimp said:
How does the ad stopper work?

I'll probably get jumped on by the more techy geeks for simplifying this but...

When you type in a URL the browser needs to translate it to an IP address before the page can be located and downloaded. Similarly, when a web page has ads in it, the code often refers to a URL which must be translated to a URL so that the ad content can be loaded and displayed in the page.

Your computer translates URLs to IP addresses by first looking for a local hosts file for a reference, then going out to the 'net for a DNS server if nothing is found locally. In this hosts file all the ad URLs are linked to 127.0.0.1 which is the loop-back IP address. No matter what the IP address of your NIC is, this address will always tell the computer that the file is on your computer. Host or file not at that IP address? Code ignored, no ad.
sweet, good explanation!

most ads don't bug me too much. if it's animated, I just hit the ESC key and they stop. unless they are flash, then I get mad and smash stuff...:D