Quantcast

Killington - Gravity East #6

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
I thought it would be helpful to start a thread on this upcoming race in Vermont. I've never been to Killington so I have some questions.

1. Is there onsite camping at the mountain?

2. Does anyone have updates about the current course or changes in the course?

3. Is there relevant video of past races?

4. General opinions about Killington as a race?

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
I shot Gavin Vaughan a message on facebook to see what the course was going to be like and heres what he had to say.

"Its a wet mountain that seems to get a lot of rain. Rocky and rooty for sure. Loamy soil in the woods with some swamp muck here and there. The soil used in the man made berms is sandy. There are three gravel road sections that you will be pedaling until out of gears then aero tucking. It starts with man made berms to gravel road then rough tech woods then gravel road then flat traverse in and out of woods to steep fall line section in woods to fast double track to gravel road to finish. 6-10 minutes long. square edges every where so prepare for some flats."

Hope that helps some of ya. Good luck to everyone racing.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
^^^Great description, seriously. Rode it today during my first ever DH trip to the beast. Very technical and very, very fast. Thankfully it was dry today.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I sure hope the conditions for this race are better than the last couple Bear Mountain Mogul Challenges...

For those of you looking for lodging I would highly recommend the Northstar. Huge pool sized hot tub, clean, nice, and relatively cheap.

GESAnnouncer

Chimp
Aug 2, 2010
Middlebury, VT
Hi, just wanted to let you know that primitive camping is available in the lower parking lot for FREE. Matt Porter the contact for Killington will direct people to that area.

The last downhill mountain bike race held at Killington was called Beauty and the Beast and was held on Sunday, July 31, 2005.

Gavin Vaughn came in 1st Place in Expert Cat. 19-29 with a time of 2:42.5 on a very fast course. Ben Moody took 4th Place in the Pro Men Cat. with a time of 2:33.1. The Pro Race was won by Derrick Nobman from Oyster Bay, NY with a time of 2:29.7. Dawn Bourque was the Pro Woman Winner that day.

Plus our very own GES Race Director Dan McDonald finished in 4th Place in Expert Cat. 40 + with a time of 3:01.1 as the leader of TEAM DROP.

Last edited:

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Hi, just wanted to let you know that primitive camping is available in the lower parking lot for FREE. Matt Porter the contact for Killington will direct people to that area.

The last downhill mountain bike race held at Killington was called Beauty and the Beast and was held on Sunday, July 31, 2005.

Gavin Vaughn came in 1st Place in Expert Cat. 19-29 with a time of 2:42.5 on a very fast course. Ben Moody took 4th Place in the Pro Men Cat. with a time of 2:33.1. The Pro Race was won by Derrick Nobman from Oyster Bay, NY with a time of 2:29.7. Dawn Bourque was the Pro Woman Winner that day.

Plus our very own GES Race Director Dan McDonald finished in 4th Place in Expert Cat. 40 + with a time of 3:01.1 as the leader of TEAM DROP.
That's pretty interesting...I love stuff like that...

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct

something which is more impressive is Ben Moody won the Beauty and the Beast Pro Cross Country race the day before in 2 hours and 19 min, then goes out and places fourth in the DH the next day just a few seconds off Nobman!.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
I thought it would be helpful to start a thread on this upcoming race in Vermont. I've never been to Killington so I have some questions.

1. Is there onsite camping at the mountain?

2. Does anyone have updates about the current course or changes in the course?

3. Is there relevant video of past races?

4. General opinions about Killington as a race?
Thank You for starting the Post we were at Sugarbush this past weekend and surpassed 2009 attendance of 109 with 156 at the Bush this past weekend. Now comes Killington!!! The race is now known as the Beast! 6+ mins course inspiried by Rosie at Killington and Myself.

Remember ALL info on Registration and Event info can be found here: http://www.gravityeastseries.com

Thank You to all

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I <3 waterbar yumps!

Time to bust out my cut Wet Screams.

Great memories of great races at Killington!

-ska todd

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Kinda off the Killington topic but I was checking the GES site looking for the info on Series prizes.....What or how much is the pro purse break down for the series top 3? and for AM? I couldn't find it on the site.

thank you
There is a web contact form to ask questions on the GES site as we are not all on Ridemonkey that much, sorry you missed the info some was below the course map, I moved it up above the course map so you can find it easier. Hope that helps.

If you are referring to the Series overall it is 5000.00 and is on the home page.

Thank You

Last edited:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Please read thoroughly and carefully prior to registering

GES is officially sanctioned by USA Cycling for Mountain Biking all USAC rules apply!!

Please bring your USA Cycling License to registration or your printed "Authorization to Ride" printed from USACycling.org. This speeds up registration.

Pro and Cat 1 You must have a Cat 1 or pro license prior to arrival, and can only be upgraded or Renewed online through USA Cycling

Cat 2 or 3 riders MUST have an annual license or you can purchase a "one Day" License onsite for $10.00 more, or you can purchase an annual license for $60.00 good through 12/31/10 on-site

Please see additional Info and Rules/FAQ at Gravity East Series
Accommodations
: Call 800-621-6867 just mention Gravity east Downhill Race to receive a discount on lodging.

Primitive camping is available in the lower lot FREE

Registration Info:
No Friday Onsite Registration is available Note* On-Site Registration is $5.00 additional, so thank you for registering online.

Saturday Onsite Registration Pro $65.00 Cat 1,2,3 $60.00 9-4pm Saturday 8/14/10

Course Practice 10-4pm

Sunday Onsite Registrations Pro $65.00 Cat 1,2,3 $60.00 8-10:0am 8/15/10

Course Inspection Runs 9-10:00am

Race Start ET is 11:00am

Awards to follow Official Results TBD

$1000.00 Pro Purse - an ICD 9 is required to have funds mailed to you after the event

The new designated course for 2010 will start under the Peak Lodge on Trail 7 and descend on Trail 21 to Trail 23 and end at the Northside work-road gate.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Killington is a great venue, I still say they should host a world cup race .
This course is really nothing like the old course, it's 200X better. Good course layout Dan & Rosie! I'll just be freeriding & watching all of you freaks tear it up.

If any of you have those michelin comp 32's on the shelf, now's the time to break em out. Best tire at killington IMHO:thumb:

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Killington is a great venue, I still say they should host a world cup race .
This course is really nothing like the old course, it's 200X better. Good course layout Dan & Rosie! I'll just be freeriding & watching all of you freaks tear it up.

If any of you have those michelin comp 32's on the shelf, now's the time to break em out. Best tire at killington IMHO:thumb:
Hey Sean!!! Please try to come by and say hello I have not seen you in soooo long. FYI everyone who remebers Tenney and Ragged series in the early 2000's Sean was one of my support in building those race courses, and knows Killington well if he likes it makes me happy to read. Thanks Buddy Aztech Strong!!!

Gotta run work, work, work..........:thumb:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
The GES Sugarbush race was a great warm up for GES Killington, which will be a great warm up for the GES at Whiteface. There isn't much on the course that resembles the 2005 course.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
The GES Sugarbush race was a great warm up for GES Killington, which will be a great warm up for the GES at Whiteface. There isn't much on the course that resembles the 2005 course.
Not just a warm up, but an unclapped course, we surveyed the 2005 course it is totally clapped out, 2005 is just a memories.

FYI it is long and yes YOU will have to pedal (that is what bikes are designed to do) NOT uphill much, pump the pedal sections and you will be ahead of the rest. however I feel just like Gavin and the Killington trail crew feel we have designed an awesome and EPIC race course to rival some of the courses we have hit in 2010 in fun, challenge and diversity (like Plattekill does so well). FUN FUN and your $$ worth. Pre-reg, make life easy and download the Killington Waiver ahead of time so you can breeze through Pre-reg.

The BEAST is BACK!!!!

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Just got word, that the band Twiddle playing at Killington's GES Race Next weekend 14th and 15th will be outdoors!!!! Saturday night!

And there is discussion of a beer garden. I am off to NY Hope you all have a GREAT weekend wherever you ride!

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Ya, the guys have been SUPER hard at work up on the hill this year. I've been in Killi for 14 years and this is the most love the mountain has seen since I have been up here.

We are SUPER stoked to have a race here again... it could be a start of great things to come.

I hope you guys all enjoy next weekend here, and if there's anything you guys need, please swing on into True Wheels Bike Shop and we get you dialed in...

Cheers!!!

Vin

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ya, the guys have been SUPER hard at work up on the hill this year. I've been in Killi for 14 years and this is the most love the mountain has seen since I have been up here.

We are SUPER stoked to have a race here again... it could be a start of great things to come.

I hope you guys all enjoy next weekend here, and if there's anything you guys need, please swing on into True Wheels Bike Shop and we get you dialed in...

Cheers!!!

Vin

Hurrah huzzah! I will be riding Killington for the 1st time ever (dirt or snow) and possibly (very small chance) giving racing a try.....

Bicycles rule.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
^^^I rode Killington last Saturday for the first time ever. I though it was killer! I stuck mainly to the course but explored later in the day and found some epic DH singletrack butter that dumped us out a short pedal back up to the gondola. The obvious trail work being done up there had me fooled thinking it's been like that for years. Keep up the great work trail crew!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
small crew heading up tomorrow for the second time in two weeks. I was really impressed with the new trailwork. The Cable Run is really fun with new hips and berms.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
does anyone know if we'll be able to ride the course on the friday before race weekend? not an official practice but just to get on it a little early...

GESAnnouncer

Chimp
Aug 2, 2010
Middlebury, VT
Current forecast has improved for Killington GES Race # 6. Saturday, Party Cloudy, 78 degrees with 10% chance of rain and Sunday, Showers, 77 degrees with a 40% chance.

So hope for the best, looking forward to festivities on the mountain. Beer garden, barbecue all weekend and concert by Twiddle after practice on Saturday.

" See you on the mountain. "

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Current forecast has improved for Killington GES Race # 6. Saturday, Party Cloudy, 78 degrees with 10% chance of rain and Sunday, Showers, 77 degrees with a 40% chance.

So hope for the best, looking forward to festivities on the mountain. Beer garden, barbecue all weekend and concert by Twiddle after practice on Saturday.

" See you on the mountain. "
Great News on the weather front, and yes this will be a great event and the fact that Killington has welcomed racing back is awesome!!!

Now just remeber that you can Register online and save $$ registration closes this Thursday the 12th at 11:59pm one minute before Midnight so Register NOW!!

Also FYI Credit Cards will not be accepted except through online registration.

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Killington has done a ton of trail work in the past couple years and a HUGE amount this season. This is definately a fun place to ride, all the trails flow and runs are LONG !!! I've always thought that if there ever was going to be an east coast "whistler" , Killington had the most potiental.

I'm glad they are bringing back racing.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Killington has done a ton of trail work in the past couple years and a HUGE amount this season. This is definately a fun place to ride, all the trails flow and runs are LONG !!! I've always thought that if there ever was going to be an east coast "whistler" , Killington had the most potiental.

I'm glad they are bringing back racing.
You got that right!!!!! Killington is one of the Best in my opinion

Last edited:

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Just got back from a grunt up to the peak, then a rip down the course. Man did they do a TON of work over the past week. The course is in GREAT shape and is flowing REALLY well... you guys are going to be stoked!!!

Have fun and good luck everyone!!!

Cheers!!!

Vin

GESAnnouncer

Chimp
Aug 2, 2010
Middlebury, VT
Happy Friday the 13th, Gravity East Series Weekend has arrived. Another absolutely great weather weekend on tap for Killington Resort.

Mostly sunny all weekend with temps around 79 with absolutely no rain in the forecast.
Yee-Ha !

" See You on the Mountain "

GESAnnouncer

Chimp
Aug 2, 2010
Middlebury, VT
Well lets give you the latest update as of 6 pm Friday.

GES Race # 6, Killington Resort

Saturday, 79 degrees with 10 % chance of precip.
Sunday, 80 degrees with 10 % chance of precip. , rain possible after 6 pm.