Quantcast

Killington Opening day pics (dialup beware)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So for my morning road ride today it was about 60 degs and sunny. (that's my token bike-related comment)

Hard to believe two days ago we were here (photos courtesy of WTGPhoben):

October snow:

At the summit:

Paradise:

Calling it quits (yours truly on the right):

I could deal with this warm weeks in MA for riding and cold wkends in VT for as long as it lasts. :cool:

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Nice!! - Killington has always opened "first in the NE" - but it doesn't come cheap, the snowmaking crews start in Sept hauling guns, hoses, and fittings up the hill for the first late sept nights when the temp dips below 35. Those summit pics are classic man made snow. IE the trees have classic snowgun overspray. I used to work at Killington (mountain operations - grooming, snowmaking) and it doesn't take very long for a gun to sugar coat the trees like that.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
the snow is looking good... i never got to go last year.. Im going to have to make a better effort this year

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Can't wait to ride; these pics were awsome!!! Finally snow, I love snow!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Did Mt Baker (Washington) opening day yesterday. Earliest opeing in 28 years. Also Baker currently has the most snow at a ski resort in the WORLD, according to their website. base is 70" bottom, and 91" top. If yesterday was any indication, the PNW is gonna rock this winter.

I may actually hang the MTB up this year.....

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
stinkyboy said:
Are you N8's son?

Other right for the dextrously challenged. :) Who you've grabbed is Mike. Not a great pic of either of us.

The ski hills in the east are not super high elevation. The top of K-ton is about 5000ft lower than my house at home.

On the other hand, that picture is just the bottom crown of killington. It does go up higher than that. :D