Quantcast

Killington or Windrock?

Where would you go?

• Total voters

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Where would you go, if you had the choice?

We have about a week off in October and are trying to decide whether to;

-Spend 2 or 3 days riding Windrock. Have never been. Lodging/hotel seems pretty cheap. 12-15 hour drive.

-Spend 2 days riding Killington and maybe stop at Bromont for a day or two on the way. Been to Bromont lots and Killington once (didn't ride everything). Killington is about 6-7 hours and Bromont is in-between.

Girlfriend is a solid blue trail rider. She's been to Killington and can ride there no problem. How does Windrock compare or either place?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
well windrock is the shit...probably some stuff there she could ride and they also have their "enduro" trails nearby, as well as good trails around knoxville.

but if you're early enough in october, is snowshoe closer? greater variety...

or go to brevard/nc and hit rock creek, kanuga, le pisgah, and le other pisgah...and maybe also fire mountain? only rock creek has shuttles tho.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
well windrock is the shit...probably some stuff there she could ride and they also have their "enduro" trails nearby, as well as good trails around knoxville.

but if you're early enough in october, is snowshoe closer? greater variety...

or go to brevard/nc and hit rock creek, kanuga, le pisgah, and le other pisgah...and maybe also fire mountain? only rock creek has shuttles tho.
Just looked and Snowshoe is about 9 hours away, so a little closer.

That could be an option too..

What are the lift lines like there on the weekend, closing weekend in this case?

Is there any places to eat there or is it out in the boonies by itself?

Girlfriend hasn't ridden much this year and has a nerve problem on one foot, so I think she might actually kill me of we did Pisgah. :busted:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Seems more like an e-scooter kind of guy.

When his mom can't drive him around.
Super 73, can carry stuff and wheelie too ..

Shit I hate driving an hour and a half to summit or valley or the other 2 spots on Hill...Riverside traffic and people trigger me...

I would drive to the NW though for 3-5 days of riding the parks up north and that's 950+ miles one way...LOVE NW riding...miss it

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Super 73, can carry stuff and wheelie too ..

Shit I hate driving an hour and a half to summit or valley or the other 2 spots on Hill...Riverside traffic and people trigger me...

I would drive to the NW though for 3-5 days of riding the parks up north and that's 950+ miles one way...LOVE NW riding...miss it
I hate driving around here too, but it is the Devil you know. I never spend the 2 hours to drive up to Bellingham but will drive 19 hours to ride in Utah in the winter.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I hate driving around here too, but it is the Devil you know. I never spend the 2 hours to drive up to Bellingham but will drive 19 hours to ride in Utah in the winter.
Exactly. I would hit mammoth, Utah, Idaho, Washington in a heart beat and snowboarding Utah all the way....but it's pulling teeth for a 1.5 hour drive ..I just air up airbag and session back yard lol ..

I've gotten complacement lol ..we all got selective together latest 20 years on here lmao ..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Just looked and Snowshoe is about 9 hours away, so a little closer.

That could be an option too..

What are the lift lines like there on the weekend, closing weekend in this case?

Is there any places to eat there or is it out in the boonies by itself?

Girlfriend hasn't ridden much this year and has a nerve problem on one foot, so I think she might actually kill me of we did Pisgah. :busted:
there are a bunch of restaurants in the village. most places you'll stay will have basic kitchens, so you can bring food in and make it too. other than that, you're in the middle of nowhere.

i don't imagine that even on closing weekend the lines will be that long. if you want to pedal a bit too there are some trail networks nearby as well. but the mountain itself does have some tamer blues that would probably be fine for her.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Where would you go, if you had the choice?

We have about a week off in October and are trying to decide whether to;

-Spend 2 or 3 days riding Windrock. Have never been. Lodging/hotel seems pretty cheap. 12-15 hour drive.

-Spend 2 days riding Killington and maybe stop at Bromont for a day or two on the way. Been to Bromont lots and Killington once (didn't ride everything). Killington is about 6-7 hours and Bromont is in-between.

Girlfriend is a solid blue trail rider. She's been to Killington and can ride there no problem. How does Windrock compare or either place?
when in october?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
when in october?
We have October 5-15th off.

Closing weekend for Bromont and Snowshoe.

And its the last weekend that Killington has all the lifts/gondola running.

@jstuhlman I assume Windrock doesn't close due to the rain, unless it unsafe for the the truck to get up the road? How about the upper couple of trails, does the shuttle go up there yet (regularly)?

What about Snowshoe, do they generally stay open in poor weather?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Windrock typically stays open in wet...not sure how often the shuttle goes all the way to the top windmill area trails...I bet you could email and ask. Stoked to see what Gwin does when he doubles the area for trails in the coming years.

Snowshoe will close/hold for lightning, but not rain, in my experience.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
No state is as painful to cross as Pennsylvania. Not the biggest state but it feels like an eternity.
driving up virginia on 81 from the southwest to dc is also pretty painful, as is indiana from the southeast up to chicago...but i'm sure not as bad as going through/across texas or nebraska or oklahoma or kansas or that kind of shit...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
driving up virginia on 81 from the southwest to dc is also pretty painful, as is indiana from the southeast up to chicago...but i'm sure not as bad as going through/across texas or nebraska or oklahoma or kansas or that kind of shit...
I-81 is just a series of trucks trying to pass each other uphill at 42 MPH.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is why it's so damn hard to get to Austin. There's some decent riding there, but from every single direction it's hours from anywhere else and it's just an "island" in a sea. Hard to justify going there...but not bad (in the right season) if you live there. I felt Bentonville was kind of the same...but honestly a lot of AR is at least visually interesting, some decent hills and lake systems, where as Texas is just miles of flat nothing/farms/ranches and you can never see more than a couple in any direction.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You guys should drive from Toronto to Thunder Bay along highway 11 here. Nothing but a two lane road and a tunnel of trees....for 15 hours.

And its still another 6 from there to the Manitoba border. :rofl:

But anyways, I think we're leaning towards Windrock. Even with the longer drive, the accommodations are much cheaper than Killington/Bromont.

Or maybe do Snowshoe and then Windrock?

Aug 7, 2024
But anyways, I think we're leaning towards Windrock.
Windrock is a great place too. Its not for the faint of hart but its pretty awesome. If you want to go all the way to the top just let the shuttle driver know and they'll usually take you on up if its not crazy busy. If you get there and and your girlfriend doesn't like it there's a TON of riding within an hour of Oak Ridge. There's a alot of trails in Knoxville (Bakers, Urban Wilderness, Sharps, etc) and around Knoxville (Vee Hallow, Ober, Wildside, Haw Ridge, etc) and even some touristy stuff to do if the weather gets bad.

Even with the longer drive, the accommodations are much cheaper than Killington/Bromont.
I know what you mean! We're headed to MSA for the world cup and driving right through there on the Saturday before the US Open. I want to stay the night and watch the race SO bad but I cannot find any accommodations that don't wind up adding $500 to the trip for 2 nights.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Windrock is a great place too. Its not for the faint of hart but its pretty awesome. If you want to go all the way to the top just let the shuttle driver know and they'll usually take you on up if its not crazy busy. If you get there and and your girlfriend doesn't like it there's a TON of riding within an hour of Oak Ridge. There's a alot of trails in Knoxville (Bakers, Urban Wilderness, Sharps, etc) and around Knoxville (Vee Hallow, Ober, Wildside, Haw Ridge, etc) and even some touristy stuff to do if the weather gets bad.

I know what you mean! We're headed to MSA for the world cup and driving right through there on the Saturday before the US Open. I want to stay the night and watch the race SO bad but I cannot find any accommodations that don't wind up adding $500 to the trip for 2 nights.
And some of the places in Killington look like a lodge or cabin, but its just a room. For $$$.

A few years ago we stayed at the main resort hotel right at the bottom of the lifts, which was super nice; no driving, heated pool etc. But we paid for it.

But if you camping stuff, they do have free camping:

Might be crowded if there is a race though.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You guys should drive from Toronto to Thunder Bay along highway 11 here. Nothing but a two lane road and a tunnel of trees....for 15 hours.

And its still another 6 from there to the Manitoba border. :rofl:

But anyways, I think we're leaning towards Windrock. Even with the longer drive, the accommodations are much cheaper than Killington/Bromont.

Or maybe do Snowshoe and then Windrock?
snowshoe/windrock ftw!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Last time I looked at Snowshoe, the accommodations could in no way be considered cheap. They went from reasonable to WTF. I so wanted to go back, but we ended up at Thunder, which was not a bad consolation prize in any way shape or form. A buddy did a solo trip while down on work, balked at what they wanted for night and ended up doing a cold commando camp somewhere on the mountain - flats maybe?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Looks like one day at snowshoe, as they're only open thursday-sunday. Will be used to break up the drove a little.

So the hill is split into two sides pretty much? Is one better than the other?
It has been years, but one side was more open and fast with machine built. The other side was deepest darkest WV. The number and letter trails were technical, tight, janky and much wetter. Both have their charms. I would imagine things have radically changed in the 10 years since I have been.

I still want to go back.