Quantcast

Kind Of Blue

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I dont know if it is chemistry, some kind of musical telepathy, or the mad genius of Davis, Coltrane & crew, or all of the above, but what I guess I am trying to say is...I love jazz.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Funny you'd post this. "Freddie Freeloader" is coming through my monitors now with "Blue in Green" scarcely a minute behind. My version has a cool alternate take of "Flamenco Sketches" on it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was listening to John Zorn's, uh, Zorn-ness, during his interpretations of Ennio Morriccone's stuff in the car today (_The Big Gundown_)

edit - sweet, i can channel TN and start his posts.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
llkoolkeg said:
I like the lazy, melancholy, rainy-day tonal quality of her voice.

I don't own any Ayler; care to wax critic? What am I missin'?
he's very exuberant, kinda like dixieland but freer. some crits (notably The Wire) have tagged this style of music as ecstatic jazz. see if there are some samples you can download and see for yourself.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
golgiaparatus said:
Panthalassa - Miles Davis

Find it, buy it, listen to it... report back
my MD collection is pretty sparse...I've got _Dark Magus_. _Sketches of Spain_ and _On The Corner_, and have borrowed _Bitches Brew_, In A Silent Way_ and some others from a friend.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The greatness of Miles Davis is how many times he has changed his style and still dominated. Listen to Birth of The Cool, Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue, Miles Smiles, and Bitches Brew; nothing of them sound anything alike, but Miles' playing is spectacular in all of them.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
i was listening to John Zorn's, uh, Zorn-ness, during his interpretations of Ennio Morriccone's stuff in the car today (_The Big Gundown_)

edit - sweet, i can channel TN and start his posts.
whoa!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
narlus said:
my MD collection is pretty sparse...I've got _Dark Magus_. _Sketches of Spain_ and _On The Corner_, and have borrowed _Bitches Brew_, In A Silent Way_ and some others from a friend.

Panthalassa is a compilation made by bill laswell of M.D. Tunes ranging from 69-72... When I want to hear Miles I reach for it almost every time.

Just finished listening to Headhunters... its not Miles but mmm, its tasty.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
sanjuro said:
The greatness of Miles Davis is how many times he has changed his style and still dominated. Listen to Birth of The Cool, Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue, Miles Smiles, and Bitches Brew; nothing of them sound anything alike, but Miles' playing is spectacular in all of them.
Very true statement... Miles playing is of course excellent, but more influential than his playing was his writing. He always had the best band because people knew he wrote the sickest music (in any style he chose).